• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

OK, Side saddle on the Shockwave - Yes or No? The side saddle effectively doubles the width of the Shockwave. Is a permanent side saddle better than a velcro card saddle? Good and bad.

Last edited:
OK, Side saddle on the Shockwave - Yes or No? The side saddle effectively doubles the width of the Shockwave. Is a permanent side saddle better than a velcro card saddle? Good and bad.

I tried it on mine and didn't like it. It was really awkward to reload from the saddle, since you don't have a buttstock to brace the gun against, or tuck under your armpit. You have to find a way that works for you to be able to hold the gun 1-handed while you reload. Especially tricky if you've fired rapidly enough to heat up the barrel.

If I think I'll need more than the mag tube can hold, I carry extras in my pocket. If I think I need even more than that, I use my 56 round bandolier (Aim Sports on Amazon). Nothing says "movie costume tough guy" like a pistol grip shotgun and bandolier of shells across your chest.

For what it's worth, I used an aluminum shell carrier that attached to the receiver via trigger pin and extractor screw. The material and attachment method isn't what bothered me. It was the mechanics of reloading the mag tube on a firearm with a the raptor grip. The carrier didn't do anything better for me than my pocket or bandolier were already doing. And if given the choice, I prefer to have fewer things attached to the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried it on mine and didn't like it. It was really awkward to reload from the saddle, since you don't have a buttstock to brace the gun against, or tuck under your armpit. You have to find a way that works for you to be able to hold the gun 1-handed while you reload. Especially tricky if you've fired rapidly enough to heat up the barrel.

If I think I'll need more than the mag tube can hold, I carry extras in my pocket. If I think I need even more than that, I use my 56 round bandolier (Aim Sports on Amazon). Nothing says "movie costume tough guy" like a pistol grip shotgun and bandolier of shells across your chest.

For what it's worth, I used an aluminum shell carrier that attached to the receiver via trigger pin and extractor screw. The material and attachment method isn't what bothered me. It was the mechanics of reloading the mag tube on a firearm with a the raptor grip. The carrier didn't do anything better for me than my pocket or bandolier were already doing. And if given the choice, I prefer to have fewer things attached to the gun.

That's why I want a heat shield!!

Thanks. I've asked several times and no one has given me the length of the Mossberg 590A1 heat shield. If anyone has one please post the length. I need this to decide if I want to get that one (part 16335P).

Thanks. I've asked several times and no one has given me the length of the Mossberg 590A1 heat shield. If anyone has one please post the length. I need this to decide if I want to get that one (part 16335P).

Sorry, wish I could help you. I don't own one to measure.

My side saddle is made by GG&G. It is not coming off quickly. It does add more bulk, but I don't find that a problem. However, if you intend to use a scabbard, I suspect it will be a problem. I find Velcro gets less reliable with time, but I can see where it would be easy to carry extra cards in a pack, and replace them quickly. Which ever way you choose, I like having extra ammo on the weapon.
https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-590-side-saddle-shell-holder.htmlShockwave with GGG Sidesaddle photochop2.JPG

I don't have one. Try asking on a different thread in the Mossberg website.

Rico, just a thought. You have your side saddle shells in the up position with the brass at the top of the receiver. Have you tried to reverse the shells so the brass is at the bottom of the receiver? I think it might be easier to extract the shell from the side saddle with the brass down. You have to turn the gon upside down to load so the shell brass would be right there to grab and load.

Rico, just a thought. You have your side saddle shells in the up position with the brass at the top of the receiver. Have you tried to reverse the shells so the brass is at the bottom of the receiver? I think it might be easier to extract the shell from the side saddle with the brass down. You have to turn the gon upside down to load so the shell brass would be right there to grab and load.

I put them in brass up for awhile to check if they were loose in the saddle. They are staying tight, and I changed them. You are absolutely correct, and I thank you for reminding me. It is much easier.

Is it legal to conceal carry a short barrel shotgun?

The Oregon State Police just instructed FFLs transferring a Shockwave to select Handgun when running background checks and designate them as Pump Pistol or PP on the 4473.View attachment 15763
If Oregon is designating the Shockwave as a handgun/pistol, wouldn’t that mean Oregon will allow concealed carry of the Shockwave if you have a concealed carry permit?
The BATFE issued cautions against concealed carry.
upload_2017-7-26_6-21-56.png

Last edited:
Just to add to the mix.....
I know the Shockwave is not a shotgun, it is a firearm.
The Taurus Judge fires a .410 shotgun shell, and it is a pistol and it can be concealed.
Now Oregon calls the Shockwave a handgun/pistol.

Last edited:
I'm finished doing mods to my Shockwave for awhile. I decided to leave the small light rail on. That way I can mount a light at night when the Shockwave is by my bed, and remove the light in the morning. The rail doesn't take up much real estate. By the way I like the sling a lot. It is simple, adjustable, and strong. The Voodoo Scabbard is seldom used. Any further mods will be cosmetic. I love this little "what-ever it is".:cool: (see picture at bottom)
Here is a summary of my efforts:

MOSSBERG SHOCKWAVE
Mossberg Shockwave $390.00
XS Big Dot Sight 71.00
Brownell’s Metal Safety Button&Screw 28.00
GG&G Follower 35.00
Blue Force Sling 25.00
Voodoo Tactical Breacher Scabbard 30.00
GG&G Side Saddle 70.00
GG&G Light Mount 31.00

Attachments

• Shockwave Rock3 resize.JPG
    Shockwave Rock3 resize.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I'm finished doing mods to my Shockwave for awhile. I decided to leave the small light rail on. That way I can mount a light at night when the Shockwave is by my bed, and remove the light in the morning. The rail doesn't take up much real estate. By the way I like the sling a lot. It is simple, adjustable, and strong. The Voodoo Scabbard is seldom used. Any further mods will be cosmetic. I love this little "what-ever it is".:cool: (see picture at bottom)
Here is a summary of my efforts:

MOSSBERG SHOCKWAVE
Mossberg Shockwave $390.00
XS Big Dot Sight 71.00
Brownell’s Metal Safety Button&Screw 28.00
GG&G Follower 35.00
Blue Force Sling 25.00
Voodoo Tactical Breacher Scabbard 30.00
GG&G Side Saddle 70.00
GG&G Light Mount 31.00

Do you like the XS sight? I'm trying to decide whether I want to go that route or just use a larger bead.

Your "firearm" looks good. ;)

Thanks y'all.
The XS is the best mod I did. Easy to acquire in the daytime and a bright glowing dot at night. Plus you get the satisfaction of more "hands on" with the Shockwave as you mount it. It's an easy mod.

Back