• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Thanks y'all.
The XS is the best mod I did. Easy to acquire in the daytime and a bright glowing dot at night. Plus you get the satisfaction of more "hands on" with the Shockwave as you mount it. It's an easy mod.

Thanks. I definitely need something I can see better than the bead that's on it. Sux to get old.

Having enjoyed personalizing my Shockwave, and becoming very fond of this "item", I find myself becoming more evolved. I recently referred to this smokin' beast as a "stogie". I think the term fits it well. At the age of 70, I don't take too much, too serious. Life's a bitch and ya gotta deal with it, but you don't have to live with it. Lighten up and find time to laugh at yourself and life around you. I spent time trying to find a theme for my new "Stogie" and decided on two. Look at these two pictures and choose which one you like....I ain't pretty enough for one, so I chose the other. I've owned a bunch of guns in my life, and I can't think of one I have enjoyed more than the Shockwave.....errrrr.....I mean Stogie.af7d25f7ac8cfcfe6def00d9ddac333b.jpg fc,550x550,silver.jpg

I'm 70 years old. Stick around and DarkPassenger308 will have you convinced you are able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Thou dost pedestal me too high.

I'm deep into my 2nd Shockwave right now. Getting it setup properly to leave it in Alaska permanently (so I don't have to repeatedly go thru airport security with what looks like a sawed-off shotgun). I'm keeping it pretty simple and mostly stock. No pretty wood furniture. I don't want wood that can split when it freezes, and it will freeze since my cabin isn't heated and it gets to -40F during the winter. It also gets close to 80 in the summer and the fall has some extremely heavy rains. So this Shockwave is going to see some pretty big temp and humidity swings all year long. Polymers are king in such environments.

As such, it's getting a full Cerakote job on top of the factory parkerizing. The only other modification is an XS Big Dot because I want to maintain the sight picture that I'm already used to.

Beez short-barreled scabbard should arrive next week. Hope the damn thing fits correctly. Cerakote guy said he'd have it done in 2 weeks, and I leave for Alaska in 4 weeks. Timing should work out just right.

I'm keeping myself busy while I wait by building a PVC storage container for it. Super easy and cheap. Just a PVC pipe with threaded ends and some pipe dope. I plan on keeping the gun, a few boxes of slugs, and lots of desiccant packs in it. Easy and fun little project.

Pics to follow as soon as the scabbard arrives and the gun is Cerakoted. I hope the colors I chose don't suck. Because looking cool is important, especially while standing in front of a grizzly.

Speaking of cool, I dig the name "Stogie". My 1st Shockwave with wood furniture is named "Uncle Joe" - inspired by Joe Biden's infamous interview where he told people to "buy a shotgun" instead of an AR-15. The Shockwave is probably not what he had in mind. And that suits me just fine. I ain't yet decided on a name for my 2nd. Maybe just "Junior" since it ain't as fancy and gets ignored a lot.

Thou dost pedestal me too high.

I'm deep into my 2nd Shockwave right now. Getting it setup properly to leave it in Alaska permanently (so I don't have to repeatedly go thru airport security with what looks like a sawed-off shotgun). I'm keeping it pretty simple and mostly stock. No pretty wood furniture. I don't want wood that can split when it freezes, and it will freeze since my cabin isn't heated and it gets to -40F during the winter. It also gets close to 80 in the summer and the fall has some extremely heavy rains. So this Shockwave is going to see some pretty big temp and humidity swings all year long. Polymers are king in such environments.

As such, it's getting a full Cerakote job on top of the factory parkerizing. The only other modification is an XS Big Dot because I want to maintain the sight picture that I'm already used to.

Beez short-barreled scabbard should arrive next week. Hope the damn thing fits correctly. Cerakote guy said he'd have it done in 2 weeks, and I leave for Alaska in 4 weeks. Timing should work out just right.

I'm keeping myself busy while I wait by building a PVC storage container for it. Super easy and cheap. Just a PVC pipe with threaded ends and some pipe dope. I plan on keeping the gun, a few boxes of slugs, and lots of desiccant packs in it. Easy and fun little project.

Pics to follow as soon as the scabbard arrives and the gun is Cerakoted. I hope the colors I chose don't suck. Because looking cool is important, especially while standing in front of a grizzly.

Speaking of cool, I dig the name "Stogie". My 1st Shockwave with wood furniture is named "Uncle Joe" - inspired by Joe Biden's infamous interview where he told people to "buy a shotgun" instead of an AR-15. The Shockwave is probably not what he had in mind. And that suits me just fine. I ain't yet decided on a name for my 2nd. Maybe just "Junior" since it ain't as fancy and gets ignored a lot.[/QUOT
QUOTE]

I can't explain how much I enjoy what you are doing, and I am anxious to watch your progress. Knowing how vital "cool" is necessary for "Uncle Joe" and "Junior", I am sittin' back watching your progress, lookin' for pictures......Cerakote, Beez, PVC pipe, Grizzly Defying Posture, ..... we need pictures of all...!! I worked with PVC pipe and end caps when I raced Hobie Cat 18's. It is indestructible.

I patterned my Shockwave the other day using Federal 2 3/4" Buckshot, 4 Buck, 27 pellets and one of the Aguilia 12 ga mixed buckshot (1B - 4 pellets and 4B - 7 pellets). I fired two rounds of the Federal at both 7 yards and 10 yards. I also fired one round of the Aguilia at 7 yards. The Federal had groups of 5" and 5 3/8" at 7 yards and 7 1/4" and 7" with one flyer at 9". The Aguilia had a group of 10" X 15 1/2" at 7 yards. The Aguilia is a pleasure to shoot but the group is very large and really un-useful at that short distance. The Federal grouped very good at both distances but with a much stouter recoil. I have the Viridian C5L mounted on the rail so I just put the green dot on the small circle and fired from the hip. The laser appears to need a slight adjustment downward to move the group up just a little.

100_0367 (Small).JPG 100_0370 (Small).JPG 100_0371 (Small).JPG

I'd just stiple it. Won't have to worry about it ever loosing it's "sticky".

I got this from Talon

DLo265-Rubber3_wprw-2y.jpg

As you see above, I used Federal Power-Shok 2 3/4" #4 Buck with 27 pellets and a velocity of 1325 fps. It patterned very good. I've ordered some Federal Premium Personal Defense 2 3/4" #4 buck with 34 pellets and velocity of 1100 fps. There my be a slight difference in recoil but I don't expect much. I like #4 Buck for home defense. It's large enough to hit hard but is less likely to go through walls. I'll let you know how it works. I also sent a note to Aguila requesting they offer their mini-buckshot shells in both #1 Buck and #4 Buck only in the shells. Right now Aguila only offers their mini-buckshot with a mix of #1 buck (4 pellets) and #4 buck (7 pellets).

My LGS charges $30 transfer fee, so with free shipping, it would be $390 out the door. That's what I paid for mine, and I consider it a good price.
Their website says In Stock. Looks like a good place to buy one.....or another one??? Thanks Mark.

I'm still promoting the Shockwave to the aftermarket companies. Here is my latest contact. Check out their website.

To: sales@tractiongrips.com
Subject: Grips
Hey,
Would you be interested in making a grip for the new Mossberg Shockwave. I attached a picture. I am on a Mossberg forum and others may be interested as well. The small rear grip is called a “birdshead” or “raptor”. Grips are available for about $25 on the internet.
Personally, I like the Perforated Lambskin grip. I can order just the large piece of material and do it myself, if you would prefer.
Rick
Reply:
I’m actually waiting on one of those to pop up so I can order the firearm. I’m not sure if I can use the same grip for the Mossberg and other variants of the Raptor grip, so I’m going to order one of each as shipped on the firearms. I have people waiting to buy them here at the shop, it’s just a matter of having a distributor have them in stock. I actually want one for myself as well.
Thanks,
Don Myers
www.Tractiongrips.com

Yeah...do it. Will this name change keep my ex-wife from finding me? :D

Yeah, but having your photo as your avatar probably isn't doing you any favors.

Unless she was blind and is trying to read the computer screen by braille.

Back