• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally got a Mora

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I have a pretty good selection of cutting tools and most would say no need for any more. I say bull hockey !! I like knives. Anyway after years of hearing about and seeing Moraknivs i finally bought one. I dont think theres any need for an i depth review you can find tons of reviews out there and im pretty late to this party. I liked the idea i just didnt need one. I have something comparable in the cold steel pendelton light which has been in my hunting pack a good few years 6 i think. It was cheap yet performs great has skinned and cleaned many varied animals from birds to beaver and boar to elk. Its light handy easily sharpened. Basically the same things i undrrstand the basic mora to be. I was online last week looking for something else and saw this mora for 7.99 free shipping so i ordered it. It arrived today. Well its basically exactly as described and what i expected. Light feels handy arrived shaving sharp. I pulled trigger because this one was a carbon blade. I appreciate stainless on the little cold steel its been so durable but im a sucker for a carbon knife blade. The mora is noticeably thinner stock which for my intended use may actually be a plus. The sheath well its a sheath that came with an 8 dollar knife. It has a little hook thing gadget i think il remove dont forsee needing that. Its plastic one plus for that is if you inadvertently put away a dirty knife its easily cleaned. I may send one to my sister in alaska i gave her my prized Buck 119 when she moved and last year she called and said how do you clean the case it smells ? Huh what you say ? She said it smells like fish !! Wah arrgghh did you put the aged classic buck away in its classy leather sheath dirty !! Yep she did she had been cleaning some large shee fish and when done just stuck knife in the leather. Well dang. Yep il probaprobably give her one of these moras over Christmas. Anyhow i plan to send the cold steel to live in my "get home bag" its light and ive been paring my packs down cutting weight. And i will use the Mora in my hunt pack and see how it performs. So far my quick observation its a bargain for sure would it be my ultimate survival knife umm no it would not for me. Will it save the day if its all you have or can afford maybe i think you could do much worse beats the heck out of a shatp rock and maybe better than some more expensive knives. Im really delving into ultra light hiking gear and this has potential. Well see. Ps its the green one. Also as for the cold steel pendelton light darn good field proven inexpensive knife for skinning and food prep etc...20170821_180901.jpg 20170821_180935.jpg 20170821_181102.jpg 20170821_181201.jpg 20170821_181039.jpg

Nice.

I bought a couple several years ago. Probably the best, inexpensive knives I've bought. Hard to keep the carbon steel blades from getting surface rust and they look like crap after many years of hunting and several deer processed but that still take and keep a good edge.

I used to take the carbon steel blade case sod buster and stick in an apple over night to oxidize the blade then strop the edge clean and wipe down with mineral oil left a nice grey black finish held well with proper care. I may try this Mora same way. I was thinking may order a few for Christmas gifts and stocking stuffers if i do that i will probably get them in stainless version.

The high carbon ones, dip the blade in common mineral oil and then scrape the rust and surface crap off with a cheapo China knife. I mean cheapo China knife, not the good ones. The cheapos are soft metal and won't scratch the Mora. Scrape it all off and then redip into the oil. Keep doing that until there's no more rust coming off as you scrape. If there's pits, oil and scrape with the tip of the cheapo blade until the oil runs clear. Wipe it all down and sharpen and store. After a few days use like this, it'll have a real patina and it'll not rust so fast. After you use one, clean it well and then re-oil it before storage. Mineral oil is food grade as long as it's pure mineral oil and not China chemical crap. If you buy vintage Old Hickory or similar kitchen knives as a lot of us do, the scrape and oil method will preserve the patina and the value.

Congrats on the Mora, DJ! It'll serve you well for a lot of years to come!

I never tried the Apple trick but I used to treat them with phosphoric acid alcohol and water, which is the recipe for Jasco Metal Prep ( now called Jasco Prep and Primer.)

If there's any red rust it will turn black after a few minutes and then you can rinse it off with water. If it's a complicated knife use a little baking soda so you can make sure there's no acid in the crevices about the liner etc.

I did this on some old garage sale Chicago Cutlery. It was the type that has Forge marks left on the spine of the blade, and if you polish the flats after the acid etch it looks really good.

Update on the little Mora that could. Finally put it to use in field last week. Field dressing a couple pigs and helping processing a couple others. I was a joy to use. Ergonimically fit me well and blew through its chores with ease. It handles very nicely and precisely. I can whole heartedly recommend it. I like a carbon blade and the resulting patina you obviously must attend to it and oil it i like that part. If you dont you should definetly go the stainless version. I was scalpel sharp and still is i gave it just a few light strokes across my very fine homemade ceramic rod. I did not just skin and trim with it either i cut breast plates and hip joints. This cheapo lives up to the hype. Final word it stays in my hunt pack.20171009_114555.jpg 20171009_114536.jpg 1507568273802792606302.jpg

Thanks for the insight and vote of confidence for it.

I often use a saw when going through bones. Just makes things faster and easier.

But for skinning, this is my first grab:

skinner 001.JPG

It has helped butcher several deer over the years. Least two of my own, and 3 more helping friends.

It's made in china. But sharpens easily and holds its' edge well too.

Thanks for the insight and vote of confidence for it.

I often use a saw when going through bones. Just makes things faster and easier.

But for skinning, this is my first grab:

View attachment 16735

It has helped butcher several deer over the years. Least two of my own, and 3 more helping friends.

It's made in china. But sharpens easily and holds its' edge well too.
This a simple quick pretty clean way to knock them hogs with a good knife. I use pretty much same H method this guy shows it better than I can explain it. There's a bit more if saving every scrap but I think you'll get the idea.

Yeah, that's a lot faster than how I skin deers.

I'll try this method next time.

Iv not tried on deer but dont see why not. A guy in ga showed me this and ive done ever since. Wild hogs can carry some disease so i like the no gut handling aspect ya stay cleaner. And if ya go when you get a bunch that folks want meat you can get through em alot quicker.

Back