• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rusty Mossberg 500.. Help?

Nah, just a newbie hoping someone had a cure-all for his rusted 500. The receiver will be no problem cleaning up, the rusted metal would be a challenge. We all know it will function flawless once cleaned and lubed, but the metal will need some cosmetic work for sure. He's probably in the basement with a can of Kroil and some very fine steel wool bringing it back to life. Have an old 500 field barrel I bought at a yard sale in the 1980's for $20 once I was able to remove the choke. Sanded it down with 3 in 1 oil and steel wool (state of the art back then) then cleaned it with solvent and alcohol. Spray painted it with flat black header paint and still have it on my turkey shoot 500. That was over 30 years ago.

Hopefully he didn't shoot himself in the head trying to get the barrel off......
If mice did that in a month, in his closet, they probably have eaten all his clothes as well..

(More like three months lying in the back of a pick-up alongside a leaking battery).

Last edited:
Hi all, long time no see. Here is how the mossberg is looking now.

a9c56826f1320face1c3c3be30ea4e81.jpg

654d1bd8cb6aab5b811a8daa120f71ec.jpg

f50c6f4dd00c5f1d702ca4736719a401.jpg

00f80dea35434c0f342131c44e89d0f6.jpg

abf8bfed989605475925a9ffaab4d349.jpg

I figured out the reason it would not fire was because the hammer was down and the firing pin was rusted up to the point it would not move. I removed the trigger group by knocking out the pin, soaked the firing pin and bolt area in penetrating oil for a few days, then recocked the trigger group by hand and put it back together. Luckily the oil freed up the firing pin enough that when I pulled the trigger it went off.

Now that I didn't have to worry about a loaded shell in the chamber I pretty much just whacked the back of the receiver up against a 4x4 while holding the foregrip a few times until it opened up. After unloading the mag I disassembled the entire gun, bolt, ejectors, safety, everything and dropped all of the parts in a bucket of oil to soak.

That's how it sat until a few weeks ago (I know I am very very slow) when I removed all the parts and proceeded to scrub all of the rust of of them. Luckily the guns alloy receiver had no corrosion on or in it, I have no doubt that if it were a model 12 or rem with a steel receiver that it would've been rusted beyond repair. I removed most of the rust and pitting from the bolt and shell lifter by block sanding. So here the gun is now, all back together and functioning flawlessly, but the barrel and mag tube still look like crap and are very prone to rust with no finish on them. I am unsure as to what to do about it, I thought about maybe a cerakote or bake on type finish but I don't really know anything about those. I also thought about maybe using black heat resistant engine paint, I figured if it is tuff enough to paint a motor with it should be okay on a barrel and mag tube but not really sure. Thanks again for the help, I apologize for not interacting more or taking pics of the process but you have to understand that I am a fairly busy person who does not live on the internet. I have read all of your replies though and appreciate the helpful ones. Thanks again

@500buckshot

Congratulations! I know how it feels when you are successful at something difficult because you've been persistent & it has paid off.

It feels good and you deserve it.

Awesome save of a neglected 500. Yeah, you can reblue the steel or, like me, spray satin black header/BBQ paint on it. Love the look of your 500. Keep it oiled and go with it.

Tell you what. That is just plain scary. Makes me want to take out every firearm I own and both clean and lube them all. :( Take care. Tom Worthington

Back