• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

aquila mini shot shell

4I checked out Academy, got sidetracked, and wound up getting 5 boxes of Kent Turkey 12-gauge 2 3/4" shotshells.
They weren't all that cheap ($5.99 a box of 10) but these relatively unknown shotshells are really good and tight.
With free shipping at $30, it was a no-brainer, IMO.

Lets me keep my fat arse on the couch and not have to get up and go to my local gun store. :gift:

I am going to get around to cutting open one of my Aquila mini-slugs, btw.
That means I'm going to have to get up off of the couch though ! :eek:

Yep, that's the adapter we have, Opsol. Worth every penny.

We had some 2 1/4" 00 Buck shells that I forgot to try out with the Opsol in the 500 to see if they would also cycle.
After firing 20 mini's, I figured that was enough money shot downrange and took the Opsol out to fire regular 2 3/4".
We did try out the 2 1/4" shells later without the adapter and they did cycle perfectly in the 500 and 535. You can only get one extra shell in the tube, so that isn't a big selling point but there is reduced recoil, and the shells do hold 6 00 buck pellets which should do the job on any invading zombies. Makes for a nice home defense round, IMO.

Any pics of what the wad and petals look like after you cut them?

The bits on the left get discarded.
I still need to make some kind of fixture to trim the wad/gas seal portion a little cleaner.
The shot cup I cut down by about half, and drop an .075 nitro card under the slug.
End up with an overall length of about 1.51"
Won't get to the range until a few weeks from now to test them out.

image.jpeg

What is a Nitro card?

I made a little punch out of tubing, and I punch out cardboard discs for this, but I've never actually bought any factory made ones.

Are they actually infused with something? Or is "nitro" just a brand name?

As I understand it, they were once used between the black powder and payload way back when.
I use them to try and fine tune the position of my slugs in the shell. And since they're pretty hard cardboard, ensure that the slug separates from the cup when it exits the barrel.

Nitro cards are used as a seal between the powder and the shot. Can be added to any modern load where the shotcup is sitting to low for a proper crimp.

As far as the "nitro" name, it's just a piece of cardboard.

Check this thread:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...at-are-those-bulk-skeet-shells-good-for.7475/
Go to post #338 for a photo of an Aguila mini slug disassembled.

That .... is ...... AWESOME !

Greg, what tool do you use to roll crimp your shells ? One of my often visited (but never buy:() sites is "Ballistic Products".
The old coot, and he calls himself "The Old Curmudgeon", has a video on his site where he shows a simple tool for roll crimping.
The site lists a large variety, I think he used the "ExactaRoll Crimper":
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Roll-Crimping-Tools/products/559/

Kind of a side note, he lists a number of card and filler wads:
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Card-Filler-Wads/departments/211/

On another tangent, Brenneke's "Classic Magnum" shells have a pretty unique design. Real old school.

1 Brenneke Classic Magnum.jpg

...... I better quit before I really go off the rails, so just let me say "Thanks !" again.
You know, I can see where my grass isn't going to get cut again.

Back