• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 935

ra6317

Copper BB
I own a 500 right now and love it. I am interested in moving into the auto loader line and was considering the 935, but some of the reviews I'm reading aren't encouraging me very much. I'm looking for some people who own the 935 to give me some honest feedback on their experiences with this gun.

Great gun. But if I where you, I'd buy the 930. This can shoot 3 in mags but not 3.5 inch mags. The 935 only shoots 3 and 3.5. Some say you can shoot 2.75 in it but expect to have cycling/extracting issues.

If you really want honest advice from a disappointed Mossberg user, I can give you that.

I have owned 2 Mossberg firearms and both of them are extremely unreliable. I won't go into the specifics here, but I can assure you that I have had nothing but problems shooting them.

There are several people who attest to Mossberg firearms as very reliable. Mossberg shotguns are used by the military and police from what I have heard and they even sponsor Jerry Miculek (One of the best competitive shooters in the world). Even with these professional endorsements, I will cannot give my approval or suggest to anyone I really cared for, to purchase a firearm from this company for defensive or even recreational use. I highly suggest that you look to another more reputable company (just my experience) possibly a Remington, Benelli and franchi, just to name a few.

Again, I won't go into the details of my problems, but they were severe and impeded the firearm to not be useable and some were even safety concerns.

Anyways, best of luck in your decision!

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Have you contacted Mossberg? Have you sent it in to be looked at?

Keep us posted.

He has indeed contacted OFM and has documented his experiences here.

We have seen OR3Gun address many of th issues of the 930 and these help with 935 problems too. But not all problems are resolvable by aftermarket parts. OFMs customer service is not know to be exemplary and is spotty at best. We here have had the benefit of a solid contact in Joe Z and he has been able to get things done where OFMs standard practices fail. We have seen few shining examples from OFM of really amazing costumer service. On a positive note, the really bad issues people have like Joe has, are not the most common. We see them here because they have found us through a search when everything else has failed.

Anyhow, the 935 will fire 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" loads. It's primary design with the over bored barrel is to be able to handle the payload of a 10 ga through a 12 ga chamber. It can cycle 2-3/4" but it may have issues with some of the lighter loads just as does the 930 and primarily the shorter barrels.

Sorry I don't see anything in posts on any results from Mossberg for his problem???

Thanks for the replies and help guys, but based on my experiences, I cannot suggest that ra6317 invest in a 935 even if my experience is an unusual exception.

As Rossingol has said, I have sent my shotgun back to Mossberg and sent with it a very detailed description of what was wrong in a bullet pointed paragraph list. (some of which were safety concerns)

And indeed Or3gun has made very intuitive and well build products for optimizing the 930/935. (I tried those too) I just personally believe that if a company makes a product that it should perform to how the consumer was told it would and not be unreliable especially if the product is intended for professional use.

I think in the 600-700 dollar price range that there are much more reputable and reliable shotguns on the market. A great example would be a Stoeger M3000 series. I know that most people have good results from Mossberg, but ra6317 wanted a personal opinion/review of the 935 and I have spent too much time, frustration and money to even come close to suggesting he spend his hard earned money on a possibly inferior good.

Can I ask you when you sent the gun back to Mossberg what was their reply and remedy?

On the flip side, we do have a few guys who have had very positive experiences with the 930/935 platforms.

Very true,,,,,and I can't remember Mossberg CS not getting to the bottom of a problem when given the chance. Especially if Mr.Zakher is involved.

I don't want to derail ra6317's post, but I sent my 935 back before last hunting season and I called them every week to keep tabs on their progress. So about 3 weeks later they sent my 935 back to me with zero of the problems addressed. The only paperwork in the box was an invoice that said:

"M935 26DR MATTE"

and this was repeated twice...

then it said,

"M935/930 MAG FOLLOWER BLUE"

"M9200/935/930 MAG TUBE"

So what I could derive from this vague invoice was that they put a new magazine tube and new follower on the gun, which I don't think they actually did. I believe they just threw all the notes I made in the trash.

The only thing I noted that they did was take some steel wool to the bolt and scratch off some spray paint camouflage that I got on it.

This is what I asked they do:

I asked them to fix the safety screw that had a sheared off bolt head (before I bought it). They did not install one and the safety box inside the gun is still very unsafe and literally wobbles around. I tried to order this screw first, but they would not ship this item as it "could only be installed by the factory" (because I am not intelligent enough to screw in a screw)

When shooting 3" and 3 1/2" shells the lifter would "lift the shell so high that it jammed itself above the shell stop and I would have to hit the charging handle forward to load then next round (eliminating the point of a semi-auto). They didn't fix that, so I took it into my own hands and sanded and polished the shell lifter to eliminate that problem. I fixed it mostly.

Loading the tube is always a pain as the trigger pack assembly has such loose tolerances that the whole trigger assembly wobbles side-to-side enough to make a load 2 or load 4 method almost impossible as the shell lifter won't go all the way to the top unless I nudge it to the side. This would happen almost every reload I tried, which was disappointing when more birds are flying and I am trying to quickly load more shells.

That was the end of that letter. None of those very real and hazardous problems were addressed.

but soon after I installed a Nordic Components extended magazine tube bringing the capacity to 10 in the tube. This didn't work at all. I trimmed the mag spring per the instructions and could then fit 10 shells. When I pulled the charging handle back to load a shell it would not eject a shell into the lifter. I then sanded and polished the shell stop for a second time on the shell stop lip. Then when I pulled the charging handle back three shells would eject into the lifter creating a shell to shell jam rendering the gun useless until it was disassembled. After several calls to Mossberg and asking on this forum from very experienced 3 gun competitors, I concluded to get a Wolff Spring and a new shell stop from Mossberg (another $60). Installed both and nothing different.

I purchased all the Or3gun parts and nothing changed. ($250 that I cannot return now)

So, I have done absolutely everything in my power to try to make this shotgun work and it will not. I will never buy another Mossberg firearm again as I they do not take pride in their work and do not produce serious products, from my experience. I understand all of your points and that your past experience of owning Mossbergs are very good, but I will not own a weapon that has failed me again and again. I am going to return it to stock and try to give it away to someone for parts and cut my losses.

My ultimate suggestion to ra6317 is to not even consider this company as an option to invest in as there are far better companies with far better offerings.

Sounds like you got a lemon and Mossberg handled it poorly.

On the other hand I love my 935 pro series waterfowl, could not be happier!

I have a 10 year 935. After i did my modifications i can dove hunt with low brass 2.75. 3 gr 1oz with 0 jams.and shoot 3.5 in turkey loads.NP

Back