• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sad news for all US amateur shooters....

Daryll

.270 WIN
The 2017 NRA World Shooting Champion, Amateur division.... is a Brit...!!!:D

6 of us Brits entered the event last week, all amateurs (although one is serving Army)

There were a total of 232 Amateurs (although something like 15 no-shows) and 71 Pros.

John Chambers won the Amateur Division and was 9th overall, beating some very well known Pros like Todd Jarrett, Lena Miculek and Tommy Thacker.

https://wsc.nra.org/

At the bottom of the home page is a video taken at the 2015 event, and John is featured, saying he'll bring more Brits over..... so I went with him last year, and 6 of us this year...

The British are coming... :)

Last edited:
The British are coming... :)

Well, we all know how that played out last time...... LOL

Seriously though, congrats. I can appreciate great marksmen from any country.

Thanks Mike... John did us proud....

I've posted a couple of vids on YouTube of me shooting wearing a head cam.... they'll probably look very slow to you guys that shoot all the time, but particularly the USPSA stage needed to be shot accurately... not standard IPSC scoring, C's added 1 second, D's added 5 seconds, Mikes and noshoots added 20 seconds.

That's not sad news.

Congratulations are in order for a job well done.

The British are coming...

DARYLL! How dare you sneak around in my backyard w/o letting us know you were coming?!

I would have driven to Glengarry, WV to see you shoot and bought you dinner as well. The ride is only about as far as London to Inverness... a piece of cake.

Very sorry Scoop... I'll give you some advance notice next year... :D

Or why don't you enter, and I'll see you there..!!

All guns and ammo are provided, all you need to take is "eyes and ears" and you get to shoot some nice guns, which normally end up on the prize table.
Us Brits had discussed what prizes we could or couldn't take home, and how much the prize would have to be worth to make it worthwhile.
John picked a Sturgeon .308 Bolt action Rifle which is legal in the UK, but he had to pay $1300 in tax on the night, and it will probably cost several hundred dollars to get it shipped back to the UK... but its a $4500 rifle, so its worth it....

$1,300 in taxation? Please explain. Cause that's some seriously egregious theft.

International competitors, as we don't get taxed by the IRS, have to pay 30% tax on all prizes on the night as you pick up your prize.

International competitors, as we don't get taxed by the IRS, have to pay 30% tax on all prizes on the night as you pick up your prize.

Outstanding Job, Darryll! :)

The "tax" is probably actually a "withholding tax" that the WSC will pay to the IRS on John's behalf. Is there a custom's fee in UK to bring the rifle in?

Thanks Bobster....

Although none of the rest of us Brits came anywhere near Johns performance... we were scattered between 104th and 145th places.

Regarding customs, I'm not sure, but there probably will be a tax.... we get taxed multiple times on everything else, so why not..?!?!

I'll ask John next time I contact him, he may have some idea of what the import costs will be by now.

This is from the NRA WSC website and the "Match Conditions" document reference to taxes on awards:

Prior to finalizing your match registration fees online, you will be asked to verify that you have read a copy of the Match Conditions. Those Match Conditions are found at https://wsc.nra.org/media/5735/2017-wsc-match-conditions.pdf.
TAX REQUIREMENTS: The National Rifle Association continually strives to achieve full compliance with all tax laws and regulations. In this regard, the Financial Services Division conducts an ongoing review of all NRA-sponsored competitions, including but not limited to the National Matches at Camp Perry, the NRA Action Pistol Championship (Bianchi Cup), the Smallbore Metric Championship, the Conventional Smallbore Rifle Championship, the Silhouette Championships, and the NRA World Shooting Championship where a tax event might occur. A tax event occurs when a competitor wins a total amount of at least $600 in cash and/or merchandise prizes (excluding plaques and trophies) in all the above events combined. Because the NRA is unable to determine who might win a total of $600 or more, every competitor is required to complete a form W-9. An IRS Form 1099-Misc is issued to all competitors whose total winnings are at least $600 in a calendar year. The IRS requirement above applies to competitors of any age. Please feel free to contact NRA Finance at 703-267- 1652 if you have any questions in regard to this matter. Thank you for your cooperation.

FIREARMS AWARDS POLICY: Effective immediately, it is the policy of the NRA not to award firearms to junior competitors that are not of legal age to receive the firearm directly from the FFL holder. Firearms will also no longer be awarded to junior teams where the Team Captain is not of legal age to accept the firearm directly from the FFL holder.

FOREIGN COMPETITORS: Foreign competitors will be required to complete a form W8 upon arrival, and will be taxed 30% on awards at the awards ceremony regardless of amount won. Trophies and plaques are exempt from this tax.

Last edited:
Yep, they do warn you in advance...

I asked John about customs and tax, he reckons he'll pay about £600 for shipping, customs duty and tax, plus the £1k he already paid in tax, his "prize" will cost him about £1600... almost $2k.

But, he also reckons that configuration rifle from the Surgeon site would cost $5900, and his will be the only one in the UK..

Outstanding Job, Darryll! :)

The "tax" is probably actually a "withholding tax" that the WSC will pay to the IRS on John's behalf. Is there a custom's fee in UK to bring the rifle in?
It's to make up for the tax on TEA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryll, I don't know if you are still monitoring this thread but I believe (not certain) that the tax is an income withholding. The point being that if John files a return, he will likely get most if not all of that returned to him as he likely has little earnings/income in the USA. In any case I would at least look into it. Understand this is just a guess on my part but that is what it appears to be. Hope this helps.

@Daryll
Saleen322 has a good point ^^^.

From my Post #15 above re: NRA WSC website and the "Match Conditions" and the requirement to submit a W-9.

On the W-9 there is a certification box that says:
Under penalties of perjury, I certify that:
1. The number shown on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number (or I am waiting for a number to be issued to me); and
2. I am not subject to backup withholding because: (a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or (b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the IRS has notified me that I am no longer subject to backup withholding; and
3. I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person (defined below); and
4. The FATCA code(s) entered on this form (if any) indicating that I am exempt from FATCA reporting is correct.​

A non-citizen CANNOT certify that above.
Definition of a U.S. person. For federal tax purposes, you are considered a U.S. person if you are:
• An individual who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
• A partnership, corporation, company, or association created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States;
• An estate (other than a foreign estate); or
• A domestic trust (as defined in Regulations section 301.7701-7).​

Therefore I would suggest that John takes the advice of the NRA that says "Please feel free to contact NRA Finance at 703-267- 1652 if you have any questions in regard to this matter."

-- I am not a lawyer nor a licensed tax professional. Following my advice without consulting an expert qualified and trained in those fields may result in expensive fines or uncomfortable incarceration.

Back