• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Torture Test at Badlands

MWDG3

.22LR
http://badlandstactical.org/event/tactical-shotgun-2-day-course/

Finished up the two day course at Badlands Tactical in Grandfield OK. The basic 930 did very well on day 1 after approx. 150+ rounds. Class started at 8am with lecture about safety, legal/personal consequences of defensive firearms use, types of ammunition and general shotgun fundamentals. Over the next day and a half on the range we learned about "zones", combat loading, ready positions, marksmanship fundamentals along with different drills to practice back at home.

100 rounds into day 2 I started experiencing light primer strikes every 2-3 cycles. Within 10 rounds the 930 wasn't striking the primer at all. I'll be calling Mossberg Monday morning. I never shot or cleaned the gun before class. My instructor examined the gun during a thorough cleaning this afternoon and found nothing obviously broken. Same problem after cleaning the gun. I can't say I'm really impressed with the hammer strike strength. I compare it to a striker fired pistol. Any ideas?

Outside the primer strike issues I was please with performance. It really liked the Federal Premium Tactical 00. The pattern out to 36 feet was really tight. Mr. Perryman at 2A Shooting Center stippled it for me and it worked out well.

mgOSGBb.jpg

pDNWqRq.jpg

rh4tCpx.jpg

r43dwCa.jpg

wJmb5IO.jpg

2sc5Eer.jpg

yrqURtm.jpg

Safety:

Night training, note the recoil shut off the light.

Did you do the stipling or was that factory?

Looks great.

Thank you Greg, I’ll look into that.

Jason Perryman at 2A Shooting Center in Tulsa did the stippling. He did my Shield as well. It’s pretty aggressive but I can sand the edges off if need be.

Should be able to try a few mag dumps tomorrow. The Miculek video is awesome.

Magazine tube carbon build up.
r3jNpna.jpg

Piston fouling.
TJwSgTc.jpg

Success! This is the 3rd of 4 mag dumps. I lightly covered the piston assembly with Rotella cut 50-50 with ATF fluid. A trick I learned at Badlands carbine class. The high detergent cuts carbon real well in high temp areas like AR bolt carriers. The rest I sprayed with dry lube from Lowe’s. It sure sounded different without oil. I think I’ll order the Hornady dry lube recommended by Miculek.

From Mossberg...

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your e-mail. My service department advised that we use WD-40 prior to shipping. I am happy to hear you are impressed with your shotgun! Thank you for being a valued Mossberg customer. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

From Gunboards...

Oldstuffer;7740537 said:
The gun has to be Failing To Close Fully Into Battery (FTGIB (fail to go into battery)) JUST ENOUGH that the disconnector still resets to drop the hammer but the firing pin can't reach the primer good.
That sounds like what I was experiencing. I'm just skeptical if cleaning the piston of WD40 would've avoided the stoppage, considering the smoldering heat running all day Saturday and several hours Sunday. I had no idea of Miculek's process and most certainly would've applied judicious oil. :)
Here he explains it.

We like to use Safariland's Break Free CLP to clean the piston and rings. A bit of #0000 synthetic steel wool will also help clean the magazine tube after it soaks in CLP a bit. Just make sure that you don't damage the surface of the tube as the gas system relies on it for a good seal. Leaving just a bit of CLP on both of these areas on a final wipe down will keep carbon from sticking as well. Run the gas system dry and lube the snot out of the bolt/receiver and it will survive the next class.

What you were experiencing wasn't related to the trigger disconnector. What actually happens when the piston gets caked up and won't fully seat is that the slide (bolt carrier) can't go fully forward and the locking lug on top of the bolt won't be pushed up to seat into the barrel recess. When the bolt isn't pushed up and locked it blocks the firing pin from travelling forward so it can't fire out of battery.

Hope that helps!

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

I'm kinda surprised that Badlands Tactical couldn't figure the carbon fouling problem and help eliminate it.

Or even another person who was there getting instruction.

I was the only one that tried to run a semi the hole class. Another student that used a competition 930 for a few drills told me about the Miculek cleaning video, which I didn’t watch until home.

After class we were in a hurry and felt it was the fire group that was cruddy, we cleaned the action and barrel and headed to the range. Boom...click. I didn’t want to waste more of the instructor’s time so I headed home.

How many LEO’s you ever see with a semi? I’ve only ever seen pumps. It’s what they know. Most people want the psychological effect semi’s cannot project. I wanted to see what this shotgun used by Miculek would do. I will take the class again with the 930 and 1200.

Always good to understand your firearm and how it works. Congrats on getting out there and training and learning. Maybe I’m nitpicking but in pic two,,,, why wear ear muffs if they are going to hug your head and not touch your ears?

150+ and 100 rounds does not make a torture test. I see you have that green stuff on the ground out there to lay on. I live in the desert, and I take my 930 to 2 and 4 days shotgun classes. Never clean it during class and it hasn’t failed me yet. Maybe humidity has something to do with it? The most we see is 13% on average. Nice stippling job, looks great.

Thank you, sir. Sheriff Whittington was in demonstration mode for that photo.

How do you treat the piston to keep it running longer than Miculek?

Any place where I have to put oil I place a drop or two on a paint brush and paint the surface. It evenly distributes the oil and helps to prevent messes and creating areas that will attract dirt. No more oil running down the side of a bolt or slide and getting all sloppy.

Back