• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone using string trimmer line (modded) as a pull-thru cleaning rod?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Just wondering. I have some .22s which I don't want to run a cleaning rod down thru the muzzle toward the chamber. This technique is a godsend and costs pennies compared to a bore-snake (TM).

Good idea, never thought of doing this.

Interesting. That's a great idea. I have been looking for something to clean my old bb gun. I know I'm a good shot, but I missed a chipmunk 2xs in a row. And I know my sites were dead on...so, I chalk it up to a derty barrel..

Thanks for this...

Are you melting the plastic right to the patch?

Or just winding a patch on there like on a brass Jag?

#########
oh forget it. It's on youtube.;)

Last edited:
A landscaper buddy of mine showed me how you can use trimmer line to cut PVC pipe by pulling back and forth. The friction "melts" the line through... :rolleyes: Not the prettiest job but it will work in a pinch... :cool:

OK, I saw a different one where they fold the line double and crimp it. They shoved the crimped end through, stick a patch in the fold, and retrieve.
Same concept as a needle threader.

But I like the whole concept except for one thing.

I was warned away from aluminum cleaning rods, because they are so much softer than grit. They get embedded with micro grit and it scrubs the muzzle out of whack.
I imagine plastic is softer than aluminum and would do the same but worse.

So is this an old wive's tale? o_O

I use a stainless one-piece rod. Much harder than aluminum, but softer than a barrel. That is until I switched to bore-snakes. Now two passes with a bore snake is all I normally need, as I'm not shooting hard enough to foul up the rifles much.

I've owned mine since 95..never cleaned it. I'm sure it's yukky down thar....

Interesting. That's a great idea. I have been looking for something to clean my old bb gun. I know I'm a good shot, but I missed a chipmunk 2xs in a row. And I know my sites were dead on...so, I chalk it up to a derty barrel..

Thanks for this...

RIPJACK13, YE MISSED, CAUSE YA NOT POST TO KILL THEM PRETTY LITTLE CHIPMUNKS. LOL

Just wondering. I have some .22s which I don't want to run a cleaning rod down thru the muzzle toward the chamber. This technique is a godsend and costs pennies compared to a bore-snake (TM).

I used to build custom fishing rods and also replace guides. Monofilament eats steel guides and that is what the trimmer line is. It also holds grit just like brass and wood. I would not use it but I do have an emergency pistol kit I keep just in case...and it is mono. Personally I think a bore snake is well worth the few dollars they cost and because they can be cleaned and reused I prefer them to mono. I have at least one snake for each gun I have. I also have bore guides for all my coated and uncoated rods. It cost too much money to replace or repair the damage I know mono can do to steel.

When you're retired and on a fixed income...
Touché ... I’m just coming to a point in my life where I’m less worried about cost, but I’m still frugal. I can see how the string trimmer would be nice too, yet if the melted nub breaks off when you’re pulling a patch through, make sure you have cleaning rods too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back