• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Love that Shockwave!!!
yRuXDTz.jpg

Yes Sir, me too!

100_8122.JPG

I’m on my honeymoon right now, but I have a replacement strap waiting for me when I’m back. I have an idea of how I want to do it and will report back if it works.
Ok, I punched four additional holes in the replacement strap and folded the strap over so the screws were outside the loop - no more hand contact with screw heads. I’d upload the pics, but the website isn't iPad friendly.

American Rifleman review of Shockwave

Best New Overall Product
Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Mossberg M590 Shockwave Review
by American Rifleman Staff - Monday, October 16, 2017
In the typical home, entering doorways (a.k.a. “fatal funnels”) and “slicing the pie” with a 24" to 28"-barreled shotgun reduces maneuverability, escalates exposure and, at corners, increases the likelihood of the barrel being seized by an intruder. With its M590 Shockwave, Mossberg offers a unique solution to these shortcomings by minimizing both the gun’s barrel and overall lengths.

Distinguishing the M590 Shockwave from its Model 500-series shotgun counterparts are interrelated features that improve its suitability for home defense, as well as change its designation with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). Replacing the traditional buttstock is a polymer Shockwave Technologies Raptor bird’s head-style grip that adjoins a bead-sighted, 14 9⁄16" cylinder-bore barrel. The result is a 12 gauge with a short, 26 11⁄16" overall length.

According to a letter from Michael R. Curtis, chief, firearms technology industry services branch of the BATFE to Mossberg, dated March 2, 2017,“The weapon [Shockwave] ... is a ‘firearm’ subject to GCA [Gun Control Act of 1968] provisions; however, it is not a ‘firearm’ as defined by the NFA [National Firearms Act].” He added, “Please note that if the subject firearm is concealed on a person the classification with regard to the NFA may change,” as well as, “If the design, dimensions, configuration, method of operation or materials were changed [from the sample submitted], our determinations would be subject to review.” This doesn’t account for state or local restrictions.

In layman’s terms, the M590 Shockwave design is such that a pump-action 12 gauge with an NFA-length barrel can be purchased without NFA paperwork and tax. However, restraint from altering the existing design is mandatory; in fact, accompanying the Shockwave owner’s manual is a supplement stating, “This firearm, as delivered from the factory, is equipped with a Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip only. Replacing the Shockwave Technologies Raptor grip with a buttstock or other pistol grip may change this firearm’s ATF classification, and may result in a violation of NFA regulations unless the proper ATF forms are completed, and the tax is paid.”

Beyond the barrel and Raptor Grip, another item unique to the M590 Shockwave is the fore-end featuring a Raptor Strap. Secured by four Phillips-head screws with washers, the 1¼"-wide strap helps control the firearm during firing and prevents the hand from slipping forward in front of the muzzle. Deep grooves in the fore-end enhance purchase, too. Feeding the Shockwave is a tubular magazine holding five 2¾" or four 3" 12-ga. shells. By using an OPSol Texas Mini-Clip (not included) and 1¾" Aguila Minishells, that number increases to eight. Securing the barrel is a magazine cap that is equipped with a sling swivel stud. Later-production Shockwaves also feature a stud at the rear of the grip.

Functioning of the M590 Shockwave mimics that of Mossberg’s M500-series shotguns. So too is placement and operation of the fire controls, including: the two-position, tang-mounted safety; action-lock lever; and single-stage trigger. On the test gun, the trigger had minimal creep, a short reset and broke consistently at 5 lbs., 7 ozs.

Ammunition for function testing the Shockwave included: 1¾", 5/8-oz.,No. 7½ Aguila Minishells; 2¼" Herter’s Select Defense Mini-Buckshot (six 00 pellets); Rio 2¾", 1 1⁄8-oz. No. 7½ target loads; and several 3", 1 7⁄8-oz. No. 4 Remington Nitro Turkey loads. Given the Shockwave’s intent as a defensive arm, and also taking into account the maximum distance within most homes, patterning occurred at 15 yds. using the above Herter’s load.

A word of caution is necessary here. According to the M590 Shockwavemanual supplement, “Never hold the firearm at eye level and attempt to sight down the barrel. To avoid injury, firmly grip the forearm with fingers inside the strap and one hand on the Raptor Grip. Raptor Grip models are designed to be held at waist level when firing.”

Since patterning requires sighting, we cradled the Shockwave in a sandbag rest, secured it with a nylon strap, and firmly held both the fore-end and Raptor Grip. Moreover, similar to shooting a scope-sighted handgun, the gun was fired with both arms extended. Despite having a cylinder bore, at 15 yds. the Shockwave delivered all six 00 buck pellets within the 21" inner ring on nine of 10 shots. A single flyer exited the inner ring on the tenth shot. Closer in, pellet distribution was minimal, emphasizing the importance of accuracy.
shock2.jpg

The trade-off for the truncated 14 9⁄16" barrel and Shockwave Raptor Grip (and thus short overall length) is the lack of a shoulder stock, which naturally would aid in sighting and recoil mitigation. Accurately firing the M590 Shockwave “from the hip” takes practice; don’t expect it to come naturally. But with time, hand-eye coordination and muscle memory will mesh—like throwing a baseball—and it gradually becomes easier to place shots on target.

Thanks to the Mini-Clip, the Aguila Minishells cycled flawlessly; with it removed, the other shells did, too. There were no malfunctions. Recoil with the Minishells was minimal. The Herter’s and Rio loads had similar recoil levels, which was notably higher than the Aguilas and required a firm grip to control the gun. And then there were the 3" Remington Nitro Magnum Turkeyloads; unsurprisingly, the heavy-hitting magnum loads were terribly jarring to the hands and were quite unpleasant to shoot. We don’t recommend firing 3" magnum loads in any configuration—especially those shooters who are smaller in stature or who might have difficulty controlling the gun. According to the Competition Electronics chronograph, at 1338 f.p.s. the Herter’s load averaged 88 f.p.s. faster than the published velocity.

The Mossberg M590 Shockwave isn’t for everyone. But for defensive-minded individuals demanding the proven threat-stopping capabilities of a 12 gauge in a compact, maneuverable and easily transported platform— and who are willing to spend time practicing on the range with it—the Shockwave is a top choice.

shock3.jpg

shock1.jpg

I decided to weigh my Shockwave. My Shockwave has a Mossberg heat shield, a Big Dot sight, standard forearm with a hand stop (no strap), sling, rail and a Viridian C5L laser/light combo, Talon Grips wrap, OpSol adapter and eight rounds of the Aguila combo-shot shells. The total weight came to 6.8 pounds. Not bad and easy to carry.

Update: I have an S&J +1 extension from Canada that should be here tomorrow, that should complete my Shockwave mods. They assured me many Shockwave owners have tried it and it supposedly does add +1 w/2.75" shells.

However, my primary reason for posting is a question about SD ammo for the Shockwave. I've limited my choices to 3 different S&B loads (I like how the S&B pattern opens up at short range):
9 pellet 00, 12 pellet 00 and 12 pellet #1 buck.
Which would you choose and why? Thx!...

Tomac

ETA: Using the 9 pellet 00 S&B, I'm seeing patterns of appx 10" at 16yds and appx 14" at 23yds. Recoil is surprisingly manageable! (I have a short video of me shooting it through my Shockwave if someone can show me how to post it, it's 13Mb & 8 seconds long).

ETA: Using the 9 pellet 00 S&B, I'm seeing patterns of appx 10" at 16yds and appx 14" at 23yds. Recoil is surprisingly manageable! (I have a short video of me shooting it through my Shockwave if someone can show me how to post it, it's 13Mb & 8 seconds long).

Time to get some better ammo. How does it pattern at defensive distances?

Time to get some better ammo. How does it pattern at defensive distances?

What's your definition of 'defensive distances'? I view the Shockwave as close-range only (although it's capable of hits at longer ranges), which to me is 25yds or less. I have far more capable firearms for distances greater than that.

Tomac

I'd go with the 12 pellet #1 load. It should remain fuller longer while still allowing a wider pattern and should be a touch faster than the 00. Winchester makes a hi velocity 12 pellet 00 load in 3" and it has a pretty blown out pattern also if that is what you seek. Remember that more shells equal less maneuverability and increased weight forward.

That's what I'm leaning towards, but am open to learning from those more knowledgeable in this area than I.

Tomac

What's your definition of 'defensive distances'? I view the Shockwave as close-range only (although it's capable of hits at longer ranges), which to me is 25yds or less. I have far more capable firearms for distances greater than that.

Tomac

The longest straight shot in my home is probably 40 feet. Your house must be much bigger, if you're considering taking shots out to 75 feet. Even if you have a few acres, or a ranch, and the law in your state is clear regarding lethal force, I'm just not clear on the logic here. Someone 50-75 feet from you is not an imminent threat, unless they are armed. If they're not, and they're that far away, I don't like your odds in front of a jury. Of course, if they are armed and shooting at you from that distance, and you've chosen your Shockwave, with a 10"+ spread at 70 feet, you've done yourself a disservice.

During my concealed carry course, the legal implications of lethal force in my state were discussed. I've since followed every civilian shooting, whether brought to trial or not. They have varied from less than 5 feet to barely 5 yards. The longest one (at just under 5 yards) went to trial, with the homeowner acquitted only after a lengthy and expensive trial. What I am getting at is that the law has nothing to do with anyone's ability to effectively hit a target. The farther someone is from you, the more difficult it may be to justify use of lethal force. I've got rifles that can reach out to several hundred yards with ease. But the reality is that if I ever need to defend myself and my family, it will probably be at far less than a stone's throw. And that happens to be the Shockwave's forte'. Their compact size gives them an advantage indoors. A stocked shotgun might be easier to shoot, but unwieldy in tight quarters.

That's what I'm leaning towards, but am open to learning from those more knowledgeable in this area than I.

Tomac

I got some Fiocchi low recoil 00, and it patterns nicely at 7 yards. Remington 2-3/4" 00 and #1 buck gave close to the same results. I tried the S&B 3" 00, yet not only was the pattern bigger, but it didn't like cycling in my Shockwave. So I'll keep that for the 870s, Winchester 1300, KSG, and Versamax Tactical. It's the least expensive 00 I find locally. Due to exclusivity agreements, my LGS isn't allowed to carry the Federal LE with Flite Control, even though half the guys there use it in competition, and for home defense. I'd also look into some 0 buck, as it's shown to be effective and slightly more manageable.

The longest straight shot in my home is probably 40 feet. Your house must be much bigger, if you're considering taking shots out to 75 feet. Even if you have a few acres, or a ranch, and the law in your state is clear regarding lethal force, I'm just not clear on the logic here. Someone 50-75 feet from you is not an imminent threat, unless they are armed. If they're not, and they're that far away, I don't like your odds in front of a jury. Of course, if they are armed and shooting at you from that distance, and you've chosen your Shockwave, with a 10"+ spread at 70 feet, you've done yourself a disservice.

During my concealed carry course, the legal implications of lethal force in my state were discussed. I've since followed every civilian shooting, whether brought to trial or not. They have varied from less than 5 feet to barely 5 yards. The longest one (at just under 5 yards) went to trial, with the homeowner acquitted only after a lengthy and expensive trial. What I am getting at is that the law has nothing to do with anyone's ability to effectively hit a target. The farther someone is from you, the more difficult it may be to justify use of lethal force. I've got rifles that can reach out to several hundred yards with ease. But the reality is that if I ever need to defend myself and my family, it will probably be at far less than a stone's throw. And that happens to be the Shockwave's forte'. Their compact size gives them an advantage indoors. A stocked shotgun might be easier to shoot, but unwieldy in tight quarters.

I'm not getting where you're coming from.
I stated I considered close-range to be 25yds or less, not that I have that distance inside my house or that I expect to need/use the Shockwave defensively out that far.
Which brings me back to your original question of what 'better ammo' do I need? Are the S&B patterns deficient in some way at household distances? (They seem fine to me out to 25yds)
Do I need tighter patterns at such a close range? If so, why?

Tomac

I'm not getting where you're coming from.
I stated I considered close-range to be 25yds or less, not that I have that distance inside my house or that I expect to need/use the Shockwave defensively out that far.
Which brings me back to your original question of what 'better ammo' do I need? Are the S&B patterns deficient in some way at household distances? (They seem fine to me out to 25yds)
Do I need tighter patterns at such a close range? If so, why?

Tomac

I felt like the fist-sized patterns from the S&B could have been tighter. My bigger concern was that they didn't like to eject. It could be that I've only had time to run about 300 rounds through my Shockwave in the two and a half weeks I've owned it, but even cheap low brass cycled flawless during that time.

Back