• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finished my bayonet/coffee table

SWIGIN

I recently got the last hard to find bayonet to finish my Vietnam era M7 bayonet and U.S.M8A1 scabbard collection so I had to make something to display them in. I was going to go with a wall hanging shadow box kind of thing but I also need a new coffee table so.....

I mixed both into one thing.

20hsj6g.jpg

I used the off fall to make some sliding shelf boards.

I now can show off my completed Vietnam bayonet collection and have a new coffee table, two birds with one stone.

The glass is 1/2'' tempered and the wood is good old red oak.

Last edited:
That's really nice how you did both.

I think the coffee table is better than a wall hanging shadow box too.

Awesome collection & coffee table...well done sir !!

Very nice. That looks great. What did you use for a finish? wop?

I don't know what wop is but it has Minwax Provincial stain applied by rag then sprayed with satin clear.

Thanks

Very nice work
I would like to see a topside view, and description of all your bayo's perhaps some insight as to how to identify differences. I love me some blades. [emoji16]

There was 5 different companies that had military contracts during Vietnam.

BOC = 1.8 million Made during the 1960s
Milpar = 650,000 1964-67
Imperial = 350,000 1973 only
Conetta = 130,000
FZR = 36,000 1971-72 Rare to find

The Vietnam contracted M7 bayonets had 2 hollows or holes under the grip in the tang and as per the contract the blade grind has a near 90 degree angle drop out. You can also see the differences in the grinds in this picture too.

Top is Vietnam era, bottom is a commercial blade.

Other then the 5 maker marks stamped into the hand guard they are basically the same. The Milpar and Imperial have a rounded or bevel on the unsharpened top edge.

It's kind of the same for the scabbards. They are all built basically the same with different makers marks stamped into them.

PWH had 3 different fonts or spacing of the letters (PA or Philadelphia Work House)
T W B = The Working Blind ( PWH and TWB were put together by Blind people in Philly)
VIZ
VIZ/WD - WD bought out VIZ inventory and added there mark beside the VIZ with a slash, Rare to find
WD

WP- this is an unknown mark and I'd bet someone setup the WD stamp wrong and a few WP scabbards were made

Since there are more scabbards then blades some are doubles in my table.

The lighting was bad so I didn't post the top view before, it makes the wood look lighter than it really is.
mabjer.jpg

The Tang and PWH pictures are from a google search.

Last edited:
Forum Tech puzzle:
In this thread, post #15, SWIGIN had posted 4 pix that show up as IMAGE NOT FOUND on my computer, pad and Android phone. Show a promo for mybb.us .

Back