• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I replaced the foregrip with the following items:
ERGO MOSSBERG 500/590 TRI-RAIL FOREND – 5 13/16″ LENGTH $78
http://ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-trirail-forend-mossberg-5-1316-length-500590/
KELTEC KSG Quad Rail Hand Stop - $33
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KELTEC-KSG-Quad-Rail-Hand-Stop-/201912257041
The grip is much smaller than I expected but very comfortable with the rail covers that were included. I believe there is a bit more “wobble” to the grip than the corncob, probably due to less contact with the barrel.
The Hand Stop is very secure, with a smooth transition between the rail and the stop. Other stops have bulky mounting systems which are uncomfortable, where this stop is very comfortable. I like not having the strap on the front grip because there is less clutter, especially since I use a sling, and I feel the hand stop will be more than sufficient to keep my hand in a safe place. It is a very comfortable fit. The foregrip and hand stop are made from quality aluminum.

My only dislikes of these new items are:
The foregrip wobble which I have gotten used to, and I suspect the hand stop could make drawing from a scabbard difficult.
I covered the silly Demon Hunter name with grip tape.
Keltec Hand Stop.JPG

I am very disappointed with the TruGlo Micro-Tac laser for two reasons.
It does not have enough adjustment to set over the front sight. Out of the box it was set to the FAR left and up.
The green dot is not visible in daylight beyond 7 FEET.
I wanted a small laser for obvious reasons, but this sight is only suitable inside the house in the daytime, or at night.
It is boxed and will soon be on it's way back.

I am very disappointed with the TruGlo Micro-Tac laser for two reasons.
It does not have enough adjustment to set over the front sight. Out of the box it was set to the FAR left and up.
The green dot is not visible in daylight beyond 7 FEET.
I wanted a small laser for obvious reasons, but this sight is only suitable inside the house in the daytime, or at night.
It is boxed and will soon be on it's way back.
Bummer. I'll let you know how the bull dot turns out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I saw one of the forum members did that. Was that you Mark? I have given it some thought.

I ended up buying a pair of Mossberg Shockwaves, one for me and one for my wife. I had originally intended on leaving my Shockwave stock but after seeing all the great modifications that many of you have done with your Shockwaves I decided to take the plunge.

First up I removed the stock sling mounts, they didn't suit my needs so they had to go.

Next up I replaced the stock front bead with an XS Big Dot tritium front sight; acquiring a good sight picture is so much quicker vs. using the stock bead that every Shockwave owner should consider this a 'must have" upgrade. The XS Big Dot was very easy to install, I used JB Weld to attach mine.

View attachment 16490

I was very disappointed with the stock plastic safety on the Shockwave as it seemed "slippery" to use in the heat and humidity of the Florida sunshine so I replaced it with the Promag PM262 safety. The Promag provides a more positive tactile feel due to the aggressive metal edges and central ridge; there should be no compromise when it comes to the safety. Replacing the safety was a bit of a pain due to the Mossberg OEM one way screw and the tiny parts (ball bearing and tiny spring) within the safety; check out the YouTube videos and take your time, you can do this! I chose to replace the stock safety screw with a hex head machine screw both for looks and the ability to service the safety without battling that one way screw again.

View attachment 16493

I decided to do something unique, to really make this amazing Mossberg Shockwave mine! I own a Benelli M4 with a collapsible stock; while doing some research on the Benelli M4 family I found pics of the Benelli M4 M1014 Limited Edition with the US Flag on the receiver and decided to copy that look. I took my Shockwave to a trophy shop that specializes in laser engraving and dropped it off (they have an FFL) and a few days later I had my US Flag marked Shockwave in hand. My wife had a wolf laser engraved on the side of her Shockwave.

View attachment 16494

I really wanted some sort of scabbard type case to carry my Shockwave but was unable to find one that I really liked. I remembered that I had picked up an odd sized canvas bag on one of my deployments to Afghanistan (I actually found it sitting on top of a dumpster, brand new in the bag) and started digging through my mountain of gear; after a few hours I found it. This canvas case seems to have been made specifically to hold my Mossberg Shockwave as it is a perfect fit. I Googled the numbers on the canvas case and it shows that the case was designed to hold a spare barrel for an M240 Machine Gun. The end flap of the case closes and is secured using a metal buckle; the back has a long strap that enables you to sling it over your shoulder. I haven't been able to locate any more of these canvas spare barrel bags online; if you want one you might try some military surplus stores near you or perhaps a gun show. I'm actually thinking about showing this spare barrel bag to someone that works in leather and having a few made in tan leather.

View attachment 16495
View attachment 16496

View attachment 16497

The final modification for my Shockwave was doing something to fix that incredibly slippery (Florida sun, 95F, 10,000% humidity) pistol grip. Once again you'll notice that I am a minimalist when it comes to modding something; rather than going full bore with a stippling job I chose to wrap my pistol grip in self fusing black tape. Guys, buy this specific tape and no other; unlike most self fusing tape which is thick and shiny this tape is thin and has a dull matte finish; you can make it even thinner during the installation by increasing the tension on the tape as you wrap the grip. Sorry, no pic, the tape arrived the day before I deployed to Afghanistan again (I'm in Jalalabad right now, anyone else here?) and taking a pic was the last thing on my mind. The self fusing tape is only $8.99 and you can find it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Rubber-Self-Fusing-Electrical-Tape/dp/B00FRKGSTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506090023&sr=8-1&keywords=Black Rubber Self-Fusing Electrical Tape - 33 Feet x 1 inch wide
That's all for now, thanks for looking. Mods, thanks for showing the Mossberg Shockwave some love and giving it its own sub forum.

John A., thanks for showing me how to post pics here.

Rico, here it is. Not me. It was Kalashnikitty 590.

I saw a video of a recoil strap that I found interesting, so I reached out to the manufacturer, and have one on the way. I'll share a review once it's installed and tested. My Shockwave has been chilling in the safe during the last week, as some other firearms followed me home recently. ;)

I saw a video of a recoil strap that I found interesting, so I reached out to the manufacturer, and have one on the way. I'll share a review once it's installed and tested. My Shockwave has been chilling in the safe during the last week, as some other firearms followed me home recently. ;)

Don't you just hate it when those pesky firearms follow you home? :D

Ha! If only it was that simple. I went to look at a CZ P-07, and one other pistol. Was planning on spending about a grand. My buddy took a CZ Shadow 2 out of the case, and explained that for a bit more than the two pistols I was looking at, I could get the Shadow 2. So I got the Shadow 2, and 500 rounds of ammo to break it in. Then went back yesterday and got the P-07 anyway. And another 650 rounds. They'll both be broken in by the time this weekend is over.

You have great taste sir! The Shadow 2 is a excellent pistol. Of course the P-07 is great too. I have two P-07s. I carry one sometimes when I'm not carrying my PCR. It's really nice to see a lot of CZ fans on this forum. :)

Best regards.

You have great taste sir! The Shadow 2 is a excellent pistol. Of course the P-07 is great too. I have two P-07s. I carry one sometimes when I'm not carrying my PCR. It's really nice to see a lot of CZ fans on this forum. :)

Best regards.

I used to collect whatever caught my eye, but now I'm a bit more selective. So CZs make up the bulk of my handguns. For shotguns, the Shockwave is in good company - it shares a safe with a couple of Remingtons, and a 1990s Winchester 1300 Defender. There's also a KSG floating around. I went from "enthusiast" to "collector" the day my wife caught me putting guns in the camera safe. It's good to have hobbies.

My only CZ's are rifles.
455 in .22 Mag
455 Varmint in .204 Ruger
They are both tack drivers and will never be for sale. I use both a lot.

Hey Rico,
I had my Shockwaves laser engraved at a nearby trophy shop, chances are if you call around one of your local trophy shops can do it for you or direct you to a place than is set up for lasers. I think that it was around $45 each to engrave my Shockwave with a US flag and the same to laser a wolf onto my wife's Shockwave; as an added bonus having the US flag laser engraved on my Shockwave reduced felt recoil by approximately 3.14159%. ;)

index.php

ljbtcedhhljjh.jpg

Last edited:
Rico, have your avatar engraved to the rear of the ejection port (like the wolf) and "Stogje" in a script font under the ejection port.

Hey Rico,
I had my Shockwaves laser engraved at a nearby trophy shop, chances are if you call around one of your local trophy shops can do it for you or direct you to a place than is set up for lasers. I think that it was around $45 each to engrave my Shockwave with a US flag and the same to laser a wolf onto my wife's Shockwave; as an added bonus having the US flag laser engraved on my Shockwave reduced felt recoil by approximately 3.14159%. ;)

index.php

View attachment 17188
I was just wondering if things (laws) in your state are different than South Carolina. I can't find any engraving shop that will touch a firearm let alone engrave it. According to my local gunsmith, you must have an
FFL license to do the work. I have offered to completely disassemble the gun and bring them only the receiver and nothing doing.

Back