• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

problem or just normal?

i got a new maverick 88 field 28" barrel, i loaded it up and when i tried to unload i noticed the action lock lever wasn't down as much as it should have been and i almost didn't get the action open. it finally opened but the elevator wouldn't go all the way down unless i came back on the forearm with a good tug. i noticed the gun was extremely tight in pumping. i got in the house and started pumping it back and forth at least 30 or more times. it loosed up some and the action lever seems ok now if i use good force to unload and load as does the elevator. it still tho has a small glitch, when i bring the bolt all the way back and stop, then try to bring it forward it seems to catch and i have to really push it forward for it to go. if i just do it fast back and forth without stopping it works good. do i have a problem?, shouldn't it be smoother? why do i have to use moderate force to just cycle it. i am not a newbie to guns. owned them for over 35yrs, owned a maverick 88 just over a year ago, hunted last year with it. it was much looser and smoother and i bought it new. thanks for any help you can give me.

Did you field strip it and clean out all the factory grease? That stuff is to prevent rust, not lubricate.

Did you field strip it and clean out all the factory grease? That stuff is to prevent rust, not lubricate.
i just cleaned the barrel and lubed the bolt area. don't like tearing completely down as i seem to lose parts that way. i lubed and cleaned, not complete take down.

ok, i have finally done a complete clean out, there were some brown stuff and metalic looking thick stuff in it. i cycled it and it is better but still a little stiff, i noticed however that if i cycle it fast its fine or slow with good force it works fine, just when i go slow and easy that it sticks a little. of all the cheap shotguns i have owned this is the first one that is this tight, i guess that could be good but i don't shoot much and it may take a while to break in. i hope i have fixed it, time will tell. thanks

Hi Boomer. I think the thorough cleaning was the best single thing you could have done. It's been my lifelong practice to at least field strip and thoroughly clean every weapon I buy. I recently bought a Mav 88 20 gauge Youth Model for Wifey and home defense. When I brought it home and toyed with it I also noticed some expected sluggishness in the moving parts, but a detailed cleaning and lube did wonders. Now she shoots smoothly without a hiccup. I'm very pleased with my $189 Mav. Enjoy!

-Ed-

I bought a Maverick two years ago, same as Major Dad's model. Brought it home and it seemed stiff as well. Gave it a good cleaning and took it to a friends farm to try it out. It worked great. I keep in mind it is a $189 gun. I have not live fired it since , but I do take it out of the safe and cycle it from time to time as I do all of my guns.

thanks everyone, yes it just needed worked some. i put several slugs through it as i bought an extended ic choke for deer season. the gun smoothed up great, i'm sure it will just get better over time. i saw a you tube video where a guy had a mossy 500 that he replaced several internal parts afterwards you could see it was stiff to work with the new parts. my maverick with 28" barrel shoots slugs great, i bagged a 5 point on the third day of season. thanks again.

Pump guns get smoother with time. After a few 1000 rounds it will run pretty good, after 10K it will pump itself. LOL

Back