• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX

Grant Donley

Copper BB
9CCD25A5-8D9B-4283-9E17-031C0F1C7096.jpeg I’ve wanted one of the gauges for years. I saw one NIB for $600 out the door, so I pulled the trigger. Waiting for it to get to my FFL. What experiences have you guys on here had with this shotty?

Welcome from MI!!

There were a lot of issues with early generations but most of the kinks have been worked out.

The only issue I know of that still persists is FTE/FTF with low velocity rounds, but even that is sporatic. The issue is generating gas pressure in the short barrel.

Never had a problem with my waterfowl edition.

Best thing you can do is cometely field strip it and clean it before you use it the first time. They often put a lot of grease in them and it causes issues. Mine gummed up in the cold and stoped working completely, once cleaned and properly lubed it runs like a champ.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it, the 930 is a great gun, been more reliable than the 11-87 I owned years ago.

Stock up on ammo while your waiting for it to show up. Bird, buck and slugs and go shoot shoot shoot as soon as you get it. I went straight to the range when I got my SPX, out of the cardboard box and started shooting, it was a good day and that was years ago. I still have that boom stick.

Thanks Megawatt

Yes I have a shit ton of OO, OOOO, buck and slugs. My FFL is Frogbones Family Shooting Center. They have a really nice indoor range. I can shoot everything there except bird shot. So I like you, am planning on blasting about 200rds of buckshot and slugs to break her in right out of the box. I’ve been reading these Mossy’s need to be cleaned every 250rds?

Several months ago, I was at a 100 yd. to zero my AR's sight. When I was done with that, I picked up my SPX, loaded it with slugs and found it wonderfully accurate out to the 100 yd. mark. Nice to know it will reach out that far.

I’m in the desert where humidity is usually less than 18% and we are nearing 100 days with not a drop of rain. So my round count goes well past 250 before I clean the gas piston. I am not the best person to recommend cleaning intervals.

Back