• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trigger Clicks, but no bang

Rigg

Copper BB
Hello and thanks for the add....
My Mossberg MVP in 5.56 has been setting up for about a year now. I took it out today for a little paper punching and had a problem, The trigger clicks but the bolt doesn't "fire" (for lack of a better term) sometimes, and then sometimes it will have a light strike.....I put about 50 rds thru it and about 6 of them did this....all 6 rds fired after cycling them thru again... I am assuming since 2 of the 6 had no pin strike that this is probably a firing pin or bolt problem am I correct?? Any info would be greatly appreciated...:(

Call mossberg. It was an issue with some bolts. Mostly happened with milspec primers. They needed to put in a heavier spring.

Call mossberg. It was an issue with some bolts. Mostly happened with milspec primers. They needed to put in a heavier spring.

Thank you! Would the spring also cause the no pin strike and no bolt "fire" (again for lack of a better term) issue also??

Strangely I had this on Sunday... I'd taken a friend down to the Club guest day, and let him have a go with a selection of "toys", including my MVP LC .308
First shot, he squeezed the trigger, there was a slight click, but no bang.... looking at the back of the bolt, the firing pin wasn't fully back, (in the cocked position)
We waited the prescribed 30 seconds, then open the bolt. There wasn't a mark on the primer.
I reloaded that round, and I took the shot, it went bang just fine... as did every other shot.

When I got home, I stripped the bolt down, everything looked ok, not too dirty.
When I reassembled everything, I tried various things to duplicate the problem and eventually did... when he had squeezed the trigger, he only had his finger on the very bottom of the trigger... not pressing in the "safety" set in the trigger.
(Until Sunday, he'd never fired a gun, so his positioning was a little awkward)

If you do that, the firing pin moves forward slightly with a click, but not enough to contact the primer.

HTH

Daryll.

Strangely I had this on Sunday... I'd taken a friend down to the Club guest day, and let him have a go with a selection of "toys", including my MVP LC .308
First shot, he squeezed the trigger, there was a slight click, but no bang.... looking at the back of the bolt, the firing pin wasn't fully back, (in the cocked position)
We waited the prescribed 30 seconds, then open the bolt. There wasn't a mark on the primer.
I reloaded that round, and I took the shot, it went bang just fine... as did every other shot.

When I got home, I stripped the bolt down, everything looked ok, not too dirty.
When I reassembled everything, I tried various things to duplicate the problem and eventually did... when he had squeezed the trigger, he only had his finger on the very bottom of the trigger... not pressing in the "safety" set in the trigger.
(Until Sunday, he'd never fired a gun, so his positioning was a little awkward)

If you do that, the firing pin moves forward slightly with a click, but not enough to contact the primer.

HTH

Daryll.
Thank you soo much!

No problem Rigg, but don't take my word for it... obviously make sure your gun is empty then close the bolt and try pressing the trigger without touching the inset safey trigger and see if that duplicates what you experienced.

No problem Rigg, but don't take my word for it... obviously make sure your gun is empty then close the bolt and try pressing the trigger without touching the inset safey trigger and see if that duplicates what you experienced.
First thing I did :D and yup...no pin strike.....now I have to figure out the light strike problem! :idk:

Back