• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Shockwave

MAINSAIL

My dealer was finally able to get me one, and there are just a few changes/upgrades I want to do.

I used to have a 20" 590A1 with a Knoxx stock that was great.

My Shockwave came very greasy so tonight I cleaned it up (forgot how many steps to get it apart and back together!).

Things I want to do:
- CDM safety and light/laser mount - on order should be here Friday
- Heat shield - still noodling that one. I've read all the posts here and working out what I want to do.
- I want to do a laser for aiming. I considered the Leaper's Bulldot but I can't find anyone who has one and loves it.

Things I might do:
- Swap the plastic trigger group for the all metal one. Pros and cons for either and I'm still thinking it over.

Things I won't do:
- Side saddle - never liked them. Had one on my 590A1 and took it off. It's in a box around here somewhere.

Lots of good info in here and I'll keep an eye out for new posts.

My dealer was finally able to get me one, and there are just a few changes/upgrades I want to do.

I used to have a 20" 590A1 with a Knoxx stock that was great.

My Shockwave came very greasy so tonight I cleaned it up (forgot how many steps to get it apart and back together!).

Things I want to do:
- CDM safety and light/laser mount - on order should be here Friday
- Heat shield - still noodling that one. I've read all the posts here and working out what I want to do.
- I want to do a laser for aiming. I considered the Leaper's Bulldot but I can't find anyone who has one and loves it.

Things I might do:
- Swap the plastic trigger group for the all metal one. Pros and cons for either and I'm still thinking it over.

Things I won't do:
- Side saddle - never liked them. Had one on my 590A1 and took it off. It's in a box around here somewhere.

Lots of good info in here and I'll keep an eye out for new posts.

Congrats on your new Shockwave. I'm sure that you will love it.

I'm with you on the side saddle. I had one on my 590-A1 and yanked it off after a very short time.

Best regards.

Welcome to the forum Mailsail and congratulations on the Shockwave. If you search KCCO_AMIGO, a member of this forum, you will see his Bulldot. He is very happy with it, and has convinced me to buy one. We look forward to watching your progress.

Welcome to the forum.

As always, I am glad that you're going to personalize it to what fits your needs and wants, rather than gobbing it up with everything that has tactical in the title.

Unless of course, that's what you like and want, and if so, then by all means, gob away.

Welcome from MI!!!

Welcome, sounds like you have a solid plan.

I agree on side saddles too. Shells in a pocket in a pouch on a belt is the way to go for me.

I agree with you on no sidesaddle because for me the Shockwave gets less practical and more toy the more things I add. The tritium sight might be worth it, the heat shield is a necessary range toy mod, but the majority of the add-ons make it more toy than tool. I carry mine daily and I use a California Competition Works 4 shell holder.

This is very true.

I am a minimalist when it come to all my weapons. For me, if a modification does not enhance the function of the weapon, I'm not interested in it.

Best regards.

My CDM stuff came in today.

The safety was a little puzzling. I think it's on right; seems to be working. All the other aftermarket safeties use the shim but the CDM apparently does not. They don't tell you in their video to use it, but then again they don't tell you not to. The packaging tells you to have a gun smith install it, a tidbit of information they left off the product description.

The light mount I'm not so sure about. The rail is held to the mount with only one screw, and even when that screw is tight there is still a little movement or flex. It also doesn't seem to be parallel to the barrel; not sure if that's going to be a problem or not, especially at the distances one would sight in a shotgun laser.

They could have beveled the front and back edge to help with clearance there by the fore grip. I'm not sure how this thing is going to act after some jarring recoil.

EDIT to correct: I did not have the rail fully tightened down to the mount. I'm not accustomed to putting that much torque on aluminum parts, and looking at it closer I noticed it was not fully seated. Once I smoked it down it's both solid and aligned. I am very happy with the mount now!

I put my Barska light/laser on the rail for now, but something with a much lower profile is desirable.

CDMMount.jpg

Last edited:
If you search KCCO_AMIGO, a member of this forum, you will see his Bulldot. He is very happy with it, and has convinced me to buy one.
Have you gotten your Bulldot yet Rico? I could only find one video, from the manufacturer, and it only demonstrates it in some less than ideal lighting. Before I order I'd like to know how the dot looks in normal outdoor daylight.

I am waiting on delivery from OpticsPlanet. I reckon they are backed up with Christmas sales. They show in-stock status.
They offer a good price..https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-instant-target-aiming-bulldot-green-laser.html.
I will definitely post a review when it arrives. It would be of little use to me if the dot is not useful in daylight for about 7 yards.
The unit looks a bit large for what I wanted, but, I'll know better when I mount it.
I looked at laser pointers, which can be very bright, but it seems their beam is too powerful and not allowed on weapons.
They don't have a mounting system for guns, and no adjustment for windage/elevation. I wish I could rig something.
They are long and slim and would look good on a Shockwave.
The beam can be so powerful, they will light matches, start fires, and break ballons.
Here is the sales pitch used on one website "Unlock all the mysteries of the unknown world." That's hilarious...just the kinda sales pitch I fall for.
http://www.laserpointerpro.com/

Their website shows a clamp to attach to a picatinny rail. Don't know how you would sight it in though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The method I used is fairly simple. First, just sight along the top of the barrel from above and adjust windage of the laser until the laser dot is in line with the axis of the bore on a target at the distance you intend to shoot. I did this in my home and used the longest distance I could get (about 50-60 feet). Do not worry about the elevation adjustment yet. Next, using the same distance, sight along the side of the barrel and adjust the elevation of the laser until the laser dot is in line with the axis of the bore on the same target used for the windage adjustment. You will be surprised just how close you will be for the final adjustments during live fire.

I took the wife up into the Olympic National Forest to cut our Christmas tree today, so I brought the Shockwave along to run a box of shells through it. I had to stop at walmart on the way so I picked up a cheap box of target loads. The gun shot great....except..... my shucking thumb is getting pounded by the CDM light mount/sling loop. 25 shells and I was done.

I need to rethink this as it is intolerable as is.

Aiming was easy; I was having no problem hitting three stumps quickly from about 15 feet. I fired from the hip and out in front.

2017Tree1.jpg

That is awesome country. Reminds me of a picture DarkPassenger308 posted. You guys live in some beautiful country.
I like your truck too.
Best of luck with the CDM problem.

That is a beautiful scene. It looks like Christmas time. Here in the desert, it's still 80 to 90 degrees.
Hope you get the light issue worked out.

Best regards.

Thanks! Snow is nice when you only have to drive an hour to get to it, then only another hour to get back to more temperate climes. A tree cutting permit is $5 and it's become a family tradition to drive up and troll the FS roads looking for one.

I can flip the mount to put the rail on the left side and the sling loop on the right, but I worry that the rail will jam my thumb as well. Thoughts?

SWaveThumb.jpg

Back