• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Damn Safety Sear!!! (And my own fault probably)

I was out deer hunting and FINALLY had a buck in my sights. I eased off the safety and line him up, 15 yards away from where I was hiding behind a tree.

I tried to squeeze the trigger and NOTHING. I cycled the safety and tried again and NOTHING. He of course figured out I was there and trotted off.

I opened and closed the action and tried again to no avail. I removed the shells and hit the butt on the ground and tried to dry fire but it didn't help.

By the time I got home in my warm car I was able to dry fire no problem.

It's my STRONG belief based on the way it was behaving and the fact it was about -10 C that some moisture in the receiver caused the safety sear to freeze forward.

Ultimately it's MY responsibility as I'm responsible for maintenance and cleaning but DAMN did I curse that safety sear. I spent my entire week off in the woods and didn't see any deer until an hour before the end of the shotgun season and my shotgun failed.

I am really thinking I will just remove the sear as it's not that hard a job.

Sigh

I don't blame you for being upset.

I would be too.

I'm sure mossbergs lawyers would tell you that modifying the gun would void the warranty and may make the gun unsafe.

But I also would be surprised if they ever sat in the woods for a week when it was 15 degrees either.

Back