• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 500 Tactical FTF already?

Well..seems it is to me..a couple clicks and you sometimes REALLY have to rack it hard..before I say the cartridge stop..I will try different shells..I have been using Suprema 00 Buckshot..I wanna say the issue is becoming worse? As a result, there have been a few dry fires as no shell was chambered..

I have seen a couple threads, and it seems that the cartridge stop is the culprit..how is the best way to fix this?

Thanks guys!

Back together..cleaned and lubed per MIL-3443-G..it really wasn't THAT dirty..but I used bore solvent and a brush and scrubbed the hell out of it..gave cartridge stop a lil tweak..(really probably didn't do much) it does seem to fit better in the track..I DID find a plastic shaving on the table when I was cleaning it..maybe from the fore-end though.. the only shot I got after field stripping..stop bar didn't seem that out of whack..but gave it a lil bend to see..
20171112_122423_hdr-jpg.274400

Call me crazy..but I have the urge to practice breaking it down and reassembling in the dark.. (only slightly kidding..this is my first Mossberg, and once I studied it well, it went back together fairly easily.) My service shotguns I used on watch were all checked out of the armory, and thus were maintained by the Gunner's Mates, I didn't get to mess with them except carry on watch. Though I can say the Gunner's mates were a proud bunch, and you knew your .45 and M-12 or M-500 were very well loved. :D

So, a plastic shot cup/wad..is that what is causing my barrel fouling? I do usually shoot 100 or so 00 buck at the range when I go..so maybe the plastic is melting against barrel from being heated up? What might work best for that? I've heard of putting cleaning rod on a drill..what's best..I only had Hoppe's #9 solvent..maybe not aggressive enough?

Won't be able to hit the range to live fire test for a couple of days..but even if it's getting hot enough to melt the plastic, the ventilated hand guard works VERY well if you flip it on its back to reload fast..or when dumping a mag tube's worth..even after a couple of 25 rd boxes, hand guard is like a cup of old coffee..

Shooters choice bore cleaner will eat up the plastic in the bore. Good elbow grease with the brass brush will work it out.

If you shoot slugs a lot (like I did when I first got mine) it will lead up a little. Choreboy copper pad and a wooden dowel and a mallet down the bore a few times will get that shit out.

I recently had to bend my cartridge stop.

I would rack the slide, but the bolt wouldn't depress the shell stop enough to let it move out of the way of the shell in the magazine.

As for the plastic fouling, if it's bad enough, you can always chuck up your cleaning rod in a cordless drill and run the copper/bronze brush through the bore a few times once it gets real bad.

I thought my cartridge stop was a little out of whack right from the factory, but my 500 had been test fired by someone else before I bought it. They may have jammed it.

Anyhow I think these things are sensitive to bending until the gun gets broken in well. When the gun is really new and tight, I think it only takes one hard rack & jam for you to deform the cartridge stop a bit.

But it was easy to correct.

OK! :D Great news!!

So I bent the stop again, this time I did a more firm bend, then just a lil more for good measure...and also noticed with my magnifier that there was a BURR on the hook, and part of the bar..(where the ACTION bar connects when racked all the way back..no doubt NOT helping anything..) When studying the movement of the action, I can see that the stop also depresses properly when the slide is back..(thus moving out of way for shell to pass up to feed ramp) Maybe burr was hanging it up combined with the improper bend? It cycles MUCH slicker now, and feed ramp doesn't get stuck at the bottom anymore either! I'm seeing proper retraction of the stop with the activation of the slide.

I filed the burr, polished it out real good, and so far, I think it's a go!! It literally THROWS the shell up into the chamber now! None fall out either.

So tomorrow is the torture test..I have a couple hundred 00 buck to run..that will be the final test..if it cycles them all, then my faith is restored, and it will have the watch again.

Back