• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best Aftermarket Safety for Shockwave?

Tomac

Okay, I'm still not decided as to whether or not I'm going to replace the factory safety on my Shockwave, but to add more grist to my mill, what aftermarket safety have you added to your Shockwave and why that particular safety?

Tomac

I bought mine from Brownell's. It was around $28 with shipping. It did not come with a new screw.

I used the Promag safety for the Mossberg 500/590. I used the existing screw to install the safety without the plate under the Mossberg safety that came with the Shockwave. Be careful when you remove the safety. There's a small detent ball and spring under the safety that is very easy to lose. I used the existing screw because I mounted the safety with the tang facing forward and the replacement screws all had a socket head that stuck above surface of the safety and would interfere with the operation of the safety. I find, for me, mounting the safety with the tang facing forward works better.

Edit: In addition having the tang facing forward keeps the tang about 1/4" farther away from my hand during recoil.

https://www.amazon.com/ProMag-PM262-Enhanced-Safety-Mossberg/dp/B00AU6IOK2

100_0340 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
The Pro-Mag is what I used, around 16.00 online. There is a larger "delta wing" style also but I like the Pro-Mag since it's basically the same size as the stock safety, just taller. No "replacement screw" included with the Pro-Mag, I put a small piece of duct tape (sticky side in the screw slot) and backed the factory screw out without any damage. Also on the Pro-Mag safety when I installed it I tried it with the factory spacer (the little metal piece under the safety) and without it. Seems to work smoother without the spacer. Make sure you have the bolt in the full open position when you remove the safety and watch out for the detent ball and spring or else you'll be getting a lesson in the full disassembly of the gun!!! BTW the Pro-Mag will fit with the raised portion either to the front or the rear, just see what works best for you if you go with the Pro-Mag...

I went with a Vang Comp oversized safety. It is basicly just a little taller and has slightly more aggresive ridges on top. I wanted to keep the overall same style as the factory safety but with a little more area to it to grab hold of.
It works perfectly for me. A lot more "positive" engagement between my thumb and the safety with or without gloves. It also came with a replacement screw. I purchased it through Brownells for $33.94 shipped.

I like the Vang Comp as well. Comes with screw and lock washer. $28.95
mossberg_500_590_oversized_safety_vang_comp_systems2.jpg

I just installed a new metal safety on my Shockwave. I was wondering if anyone uses locktite. It would be a mess if the screw came loose and the ball went away lol. Especially if the ball went inside. Do they come loose often?

Last edited:
I just installed a new metal safety on my Shockwave. I was wondering if anyone uses locktite. It would be a mess if the screw came loose and the ball went away lol. Especially if the ball went inside. Do they come loose often?
View attachment 17210

I use just a little blue locktite and have never had a problem in 30 years or more.

What brand safety did you get, if I may ask?

Best regards.

Your safety looks good sir. I use the ProMag safety which looks identical, on all my Mossbergs, except the 590-A1 which came with a metal safety.

Best regards.

I use the Promag safety on all my Mossbergs. However, I will have to say that is a very good looking safety. It also appears very, very functional. I doubt a person could miss that one. Good choice.

Best regards.

I use the Promag safety on all my Mossbergs. However, I will have to say that is a very good looking safety. It also appears very, very functional. I doubt a person could miss that one. Good choice.

Best regards.

It’s a big dude, ain’t no missin it for sure. Works well too. I think I’ve got it just right, been playin with it off and on.

Back