• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Their comment says "daylight/well lit situations". That sounds good. I must have gotten some bad info on restrilctions on laser power for guns since this one has a rather large power output. I see this laser has a suggested run time of less than 10 minutes. I think that would be because of heat generated, but I would not need to run it that long. Maybe someone will buy this laser and give us a review. I've got another toy in progress and can't spend any more money right now.

For those who are interested, I finally got the Hogue overmolded forend to fit my Shockwave by cutting 1.25" off the front, definitely feels better than the factory corncob!

Tomac

PC160001.JPG

I'm curious as to what y'all think of the Go Gauge lighted follower.
Looks kinda gimmicky to me. People have been counting six shots for a couple hundred years or so.

If you were actually taking your shockwave into combat the lighted follower *might* be something to consider, however there's something to be said for not having lights come on in a combat environment too.

Looks kinda gimmicky to me. People have been counting six shots for a couple hundred years or so.

If you were actually taking your shockwave into combat the lighted follower *might* be something to consider, however there's something to be said for not having lights come on in a combat environment too.

The majority of us will never be in a combat situation (thankfully). Maybe I'll have my wife do some reloading drills in low light, to see if it helps her. As a follower, Delrin is the ideal material. And when I was at the range, it was sort of amusing to see it light up when someone else was trying out my Shockwave. It really did make me think of a "Game Over" warning. Lol.

Has anyone tried the Demonstrated Concepts Recoil Strap? I had them send one out for a review. It's a very logical idea, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Demonstrated Concepts Recoil Strap

https://demonstratedconcepts.com/recoil-strap/

I took a look at their website. It is a simple concept. This setup will stop the grip hand from sliding along the grip. It would also help stop the safety button from biting the web of the grip hand when the hand slips during recoil.

I also noticed that a yellow strap was installed on the forearm in the standard setup on the Shockwave at the beginning of the video but, the strap on the forearm was installed in a loop attached to the rear of the forearm when he was firing the gun. In one view he was holding the loop like a vertical grip on the forearm while shooting and was not holding the actual forearm until he racked the forearm. If you look closely at the strap at 0:32 to 0:40 of the video you can see that he used 4 screws to mount the rear mounted strap (2 screws for each end of the strap) with the ends of the strap butted together to form a natural loop. What are your thoughts about using the forearm strap in this manner? I'm not sure how sturdy using the strap like this is.

I do believe that mounting the strap to the rear of the forearm would allow the hand on the forearm when put in the loop to remain in position without slipping while allowing the hand on the forearm to absorb some more of the forces of the recoil. The use of both the Recoil Strap on the grip and the rear mounted strap on the forearm will allow both hands to take the recoil force without slipping giving greater control of the gun. This setup would be difficult to deploy when you need to raise and fire your gun quickly and it eliminates the rear swivel mount making it harder to use a sling.

I've got a Magpul forend, with the Mossberg strap loosely attached. No plans to change that. I don't see a downside to the Recoil Strap, but I haven't tested it yet. As far as the rear swivel, I have given that some thought. First, I'll probably see if it can be put back on, over the strap. But not for a sling. If you need to persuade someone with the Raptor end of your Shockwave, that swivel mount brings a whole lot of extra hurt. To actually mount a sling, my preference would be a plate between receiver and grip. For the Shockwave, I would prefer a single point sling, mounted forward of my hand. But that's just me.

I had a chance to fire my 20ga today. The gun worked just fine. I can't say as much for the UTG Bull Dot green laser sight. It was completely useless in the daylight. Inside the laser works just fine but outside you can't see the dot. I like the size of the dot but it is too weak. As I said in #807 above, this would be a fantastic sight if paired with a 200mW laser. I am returning the laser for credit.

I had a chance to fire my 20ga today. The gun worked just fine. I can't say as much for the UTG Bull Dot green laser sight. It was completely useless in the daylight. Inside the laser works just fine but outside you can't see the dot. I like the size of the dot but it is too weak. As I said in #807 above, this would be a fantastic sight if paired with a 200mW laser. I am returning the laser for credit.
Wow, I'm glad I waited.

I have a sling on my Shockwave. I don't want more straps.
However, why not make the strap on the rear grip from an elastic material that would cushion recall even more.

I agree the Bull Dot is useless in bright light, but, I will still try to use it in shade-to-dark if the need arises.

Part of the problem is that the Bull Dot has a 5mW laser which is the standard power for it's class. A normal green laser has the same 5mW concentrated in the smallest dot while the Bull Dot has the same power spread out over the larger area of the Bull Dot dot making it just a little dimmer than the regular laser dot.

I've got a Magpul forend, with the Mossberg strap loosely attached. No plans to change that. I don't see a downside to the Recoil Strap, but I haven't tested it yet. As far as the rear swivel, I have given that some thought. First, I'll probably see if it can be put back on, over the strap. But not for a sling. If you need to persuade someone with the Raptor end of your Shockwave, that swivel mount brings a whole lot of extra hurt. To actually mount a sling, my preference would be a plate between receiver and grip. For the Shockwave, I would prefer a single point sling, mounted forward of my hand. But that's just me.

I would like to use sling plate between the grip and receiver also but the 20ga receiver is just a little narrower than the 12ga receiver so all the 12ga sling mounts will not fit the 20ga receiver.

Back