• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul 500/590 handguard question

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Does anyone know if a magpul handguard for the Mossberg 500/590 will fit the shorter 6-3/4" action slide tube assembly?

Thinking of getting one of them for my old 500 because it's kind of growing on me. Just don't want to waste my time if it won't fit.

Magpul replied that it will not work with the short action tubes.

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately our forend will not work with a Mossberg with the 6.75 action slide as it needs to be either 7 3/4 or 7 5/8 long.
MAGPUL INDUSTRIES CORP.[P] 877-462-4785 x. 142  [F] 303.828.3469

magpul.com | magpulcore.com

So, I guess I'll be going a different direction with mine.

I thought about that too.

Maybe magpul didn't recommend it because it wasn't their product?????? Or they haven't tested it with it ????????? At any rate, magpul would probably be well served to post that the product won't work with the short actions. As of right now, it just said it wouldn't work with AOW's, etc.

Not that my opinion is worth much but I agree on all points of what you've said and I am pretty sure I have read about others that have used the combinations of the hogue nut with their shorter forend tube to fit the magpul if I can remember where I read it I will post the source.

Edit*
This was taken form the amazon reviews and comments section for the hogue adapter nut.

"Just what I needed to install a Magpul SGA fore end on my 835. A lot cheaper than a new longer tube. The fore end had to be opened up a little with a dremel tool to accept the diameter of the longer adapter nut but I would suspect that it would work flawlessly on most of the other fore ends out there."

I read a few more and some reported the need to dremel out the forend inner diameter a little bit and some did not. I have a feeling it may just depend on which batch forend you get.

Last edited:
Your opinion is worth a lot to me.

And you're probably right about it too.

But by the time that I bought the handguard ($25) and then bought the Hogue nut ($20), is getting into more money than I think it's worth.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. That is a bit of money to be in to that set up and the only positives that I can see tothist is the mounting abilities for using moe or mlok rail sections to put on accessories/lights/etc.. If you are a kiss sort of guy then this wouldn't be a good setup for you. The other con to this setup is that when your hands get a little damp it can easily slip on the polymer when you are trying to rack the forend. Unlike all the traction you get on a corncob type or even the rubberized traction of the hogue. I had to stick some anti-slip grip tape on my SGA magpul forend for more precaution to this issue.

I have been stipling many of my magpul handguards on my AR's.

At this time, I have one of the early Ergo tri rail handguards on the gun already.

I guess I'll keep it on there, but will add an angled foregrip and a couple of magpul XT rail covers on the sides.

I'll be removing the old Tango Down front grip because it exerts too much pressure on the action bars side to side when you work the action.

Back