• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Meprolight Tritium Bead craps out in less than a year

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
I took my Mav 88 out of the closet and carried it down a dark hallway. Guess what, the bead no longer lights up. It's a Meprolight, and I don't recommend. I emailed Mepro asking if there is a warranty or not. It was/is kinda crappy to begin with. When it was threaded all the way down to where it was snug, the part that lights up was 180* out,(so the light was facing the wrong way) and the threads protruded into the barrel. So I had file a few threads off so it wasn't sticking in, and I had to use Loctite so the bead was facing the right way. On top of all of that it was pretty dim.
https://www.amazon.com/Meprolight-ML-34044-Mossberg-Tru-Dot-Night/dp/B000U62QE2

I’ve always used a very small o ring rubber washer to keep the bead higher and have something to snug down against and prevent threads from being inside the barrel.

Where did you purchase it?

I’ve always used a very small o ring rubber washer to keep the bead higher and have something to snug down against and prevent threads from being inside the barrel.

Where did you purchase it?
Amazon. I'd have to do some digging to find the vendor. The o-ring is a good idea. I'm not sure if I'd get the same bead though, it was fairly dim from the start. However, there doesn't seem to be very many options for the 88/ moss 500, i don't think Trijcon makes one.

The meprolight bead is usually solid though every now and then what you’re experiencing happens. I think most commonly from vendors who don’t sell a lot of them and sometimes have older stock in inventory. I don’t what recourse you have at this point, but I would hope there is some sort of warranty that would be honored.

I’ve had one on a 500 for about 7 years. It is now somewhat dim but still functional.

I have several Mepro's on several different guns.

An AR, my scorpion, a couple different shotguns.

They're all still lit, though the one on my AR is dimming.

I will say to Trijicons credit, they did replace the front and rear vials on my Beretta Centurion. Those tubes were nearly 20 years old and 2 of them were dead, the other may just as well had been.

Though they did charge me about $65 for new vials, that's still less than most sight sets cost.

Here is Triji's contact info though.

How long does Meprolight warranty the tritium on their Tru Dot Night Sights?
Meprolight warranties the tritium on their Tru Dot Night Sights for a period of 12 years.

https://www.themakogroup.com/barbs-corner.html/

The Mako Group
107 Allen Boulevard
Farmingdale, NY 11735
Phone: (631) 843 0490
Fax: +1 (631) 843 0560
e-mail: tech@themakogroup.com
www.themakogroup.com

I emailed meprolight and I need to fill out an RMA request form to get an RMA # so I can send it back and get a replacement.
They want to know which vendor I got it from, so I guess I'd better try and figure out which Amazon dude it came from.
Thanks y'all.
Oh and yeah the mepro wasn't near as bright as the trijicons on my beretta.

Bathrobeman, Amazon has your orders and vendors archived.

ORDER PLACED
March 12, 2005

That was my first order. Follow the menus starting with Orders in the upper right corner of your home page.

Bathrobeman, Amazon has your orders and vendors archived.

ORDER PLACED
March 12, 2005

That was my first order. Follow the menus starting with Orders in the upper right corner of your home page.
Thanks. I figured they might I just haven't gotten around to looking yet.

If you can't find the specific vendor, just list amazon.

No need to make it harder than it has to be.

I believe that certain sights have different size vials in them.

AR15 front sights for instance, are small to begin with. I think that's why they're inherently dim.

My shotgun beads however, are considerably brighter.

And larger diameter.

I had them on a Browning Hi Power, and they were bright after four years plus.. Just saying..
You have a $28 Meprolight? Maybe mine was old and near the end of its life when I got it. Or maybe the $28 mepro is a little jinky.
The Trijicon sights on my pistol are super bright, but they cost a lot more than $28. When I get the replacement sight I'll report back on how dim it is or isn't.

I got the RMA # and I put the sight in the mail today.
Hopefully I'll get a new one from them soon, and hopefully, the sights at night, are big and bright (clap clap clap) deep in the heart of Texas!
Also, ever since I did my little sanding and smoothing on the action project, eww whee it's smooth. One can work the slide with their thumb. Come get some benelli!:p

Last edited:
Allegedly it has finally made it to the east coast but it is now held up due to a winter storm.
That SOB better be bright.

Allegedly it has finally made it to the east coast but it is now held up due to a winter storm.
That SOB better be bright.
Speak of the devil. I got an email saying that it had shipped. Man I've been waiting a long time for that piece o' crap that doesn't even fit w out jerry rigging..

Back