• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Picked up a Maverick 88 “persuader” today

GT_80

.270 WIN
I had been toying with buying the 7 round mag tube and 20” barrel for either my 500ATP or my 500AB and with shipping it would have been about $180 and I would have to dedicate a shotgun to be tacticool- my weird mind and my thought process went like this:

I can build my 500ATP into a ATP8, but I really like it as original with the 18” barrel and heatshield, and if I ever sell it I would have to make it back to original...

If I built my 500AB into the 20”barrel model, I would have to use my ATP for trap and skeet, and I really don’t want to “wear” that gun out using it in trap and skeet cause it’s kinda rare, and I don’t want to shoot trap with a 20” barrel...

So I was in my favorite gun store cause they had a Smith and Wesson model 37 I was interested in, and it was a great price, but the bluing was in really bad shape from being carried a long time in a leather holster, so while there I looked at a Maverick 88 with 7 round mag tube, and 20” barrel... for $200 brand new... which is a terrific price where I am.

So I left the Smith and Wesson in the case, and paid for my maverick and went home with a big smile on my face.

For me this is win win win. I’m gonna take the synthetic stock and fore grip off the Maverick and swap them with the corncob fore grip I just put on my 500AB and the original stock, maybe refinish the stock so it’s oiled and that works well for 2 reasons/ the butt pad on my 500AB is so stiff it does nothing, so I get a nice squishy one on the synthetic stock, and I get my old school looking persuader.

That was a lot of talking for nothing lol

Pics coming soon- I didn’t get to do anything with it tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got some work done on it last night, I’ll have a video up tonight. I was happy everything from my 500 swapped directly onto my Maverick. Putting the Maverick parts on my older 500 with the rings on the mag tube wasn’t gonna happen though... I tried getting those rings off, and I think they’re brazed or spot welded on. I got 3/4 of one of the rings off with a hacksaw and screwdriver, and fealt I was going to compromise the tube, so I bought a used one for about $37 off eBay.

So basically I’ll have my 500 set up with plastic stock and foregrip, and I’ll probably put the sidesaddle back on it and I’ll have all 3 shot gun setups I like- tactical but mostly stock, 18.5” barrel with 5 shot mag tube and heat shield, and 20” barrel with 7 round mag tube and wood furniture.

Life is good [emoji4]

Updates with pics and video later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I just saw your post.

I'm glad you found that. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for, and I think the same way you do.

Now you don't have to worry about going back and forth just when you want to blow some skeet out of the sky. Now you have the right tool for the job, no muss, no fuss. Throw open the safe door, grab the right tool, and go.

Looked like a bantam stock to me too. Good eye.

I took out my 1973 version Mossberg 500AB that I put the plastic furniture from the Maverick 88 on and did a round of skeet and a 15 station sporting clays course yesterday. For some reason, maybe because the Maverick is supposed to be a tactical version, the stock is taller (I.E. the comb is about 1/2" higher) and it seems to have about a 1 or 2 degree more angle in the the stock where it rests on your shoulder, and it was enough off from my old wood stock that I was smashing my cheek every time I fired and basically bruised my jaw muscles. It was not pleasant- towards the end of the day I was pulling shots because I was flinching when firing due to the pain in my jaw- so I am not sure I will be able to keep using my Mossy 500 with the plastic furniture for trap/skeet/ sporting clays... I may just keep using my 20 gauge as it's much less recoil when shooting hundreds of rounds, and the comb is shorter- I never hurt my face with that one...

Maybe its just me... Anyone else have similar results with the plastic stocks? Maybe it's a weight thing too?

I have had a couple of guns that liked to punch you in the jaw when you pulled the trigger.

Whether wood or plastic stock.

I much prefer wood over plastic though most of the time.

Back