• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OPSol Concern

MarkB1

.270 WIN
Every now and then I change the ammo in my forearms. For my carry guns and HD guns I like to take them, as is, to the range and fire them. This is what would happen if I had to use them in a self defense situation. The 12ga SW was loaded with eight mini-shells of the 4B and 1B mix. I had the OPSol adapter installed. I didn't check the adapter because I wouldn't be able to check the adapter in a real life situation. The adapter came loose after two rounds and I had two jams (failure to load). I reset the adapter and had no problems after that.

This tells me that, while a good adapter, the OPSol adapter is not reliable for serious work. To quote the OPSol instructions: "The OPSol Mini-Clip was designed for recreational shooting. Any other use is at the discretion of the shooter." The rubber tabs are not strong enough to retain the adapter reliably. The adapter could be improved by having steel tabs with more force to hold the adapter in place.

As for me, I'll be using 2 3/4" shells in the 12ga until an improved adapter is made.

As was mentioned in an earlier post somewhere in the forum, I'll just drop the empty SW and use my backup piece. But that means, if five 12ga shells can't stop the threat, I am in some serious dodo.

I'm glad you found out now when it wasn't important, than later if it's real important.

Every now and then I change the ammo in my forearms. For my carry guns and HD guns I like to take them, as is, to the range and fire them. This is what would happen if I had to use them in a self defense situation. The 12ga SW was loaded with eight mini-shells of the 4B and 1B mix. I had the OPSol adapter installed. I didn't check the adapter because I wouldn't be able to check the adapter in a real life situation. The adapter came loose after two rounds and I had two jams (failure to load). I reset the adapter and had no problems after that.

This tells me that, while a good adapter, the OPSol adapter is not reliable for serious work. To quote the OPSol instructions: "The OPSol Mini-Clip was designed for recreational shooting. Any other use is at the discretion of the shooter." The rubber tabs are not strong enough to retain the adapter reliably. The adapter could be improved by having steel tabs with more force to hold the adapter in place.

As for me, I'll be using 2 3/4" shells in the 12ga until an improved adapter is made.

As was mentioned in an earlier post somewhere in the forum, I'll just drop the empty SW and use my backup piece. But that means, if five 12ga shells can't stop the threat, I am in some serious dodo.

Mark, just a couple of thoughts for your consideration.

Give the last sentence regarding five 12 gauge shells I assume you keep the chamber empty with five in the magazine tube. As you rack a round into the chamber way not at the same time load another round into the magazine. If you practice this technique I think you'll find it only takes a second or two more to complete both actions.

Carrying extra rounds allows you to top off the magazine if the opportunity presents itself. Extras can be carried on the SW itself (side saddle or shot card) or simple having some rounds in your pocket. However, if you do get to a point you have an empty weapon It's easy to directly load a shell at a time.

Regards

Just got back from the range. Not that I'm complaining, but having to juggle three gun and gear reviews is actually less fun than it sounds. But I tried the Opsol, and it worked flawlessly. Also made it easy to hold the Shockwave at eye level and just blast away. My only complaint is that I left all my empties at the range. I've been meaning to save them for reloading. At about $1/each, that was a mistake. So I have an excuse to go back tomorrow. :D

But I tried the Opsol, and it worked flawlessly. Also made it easy to hold the Shockwave at eye level and just blast away. My only complaint is that I left all my empties at the range. I've been meaning to save them for reloading. At about $1/each, that was a mistake. So I have an excuse to go back tomorrow. :D

Yes. I really liked shooting the Minishells too! I think they make the Shockwave a very formidable self-defense firearm that everyone can handle with accurate and fast follow-up shots. The downside is they’re expensive when you burn through them that fast!

— Cory

Keep in mind that I fired my SW with the OpSol adapter after the gun sat around awhile and was moved around over a month or so. I then fired it with no checking the adapter or anything else. This is what would happen in a real world use for self defense. There wouldn't be a chance to check (or remember to check) the adapter. The adapter stayed in place after I reset it and did more shooting. It just raised some doubt in the reliability of the adapter.

I could see them making a heavy duty version, with a set screw in the middle. Turn that, and it would somehow apply pressure to the sides, to lock it in place. Of course, not for $15.

Keep in mind that I fired my SW with the OpSol adapter after the gun sat around awhile and was moved around over a month or so.
Most definitely that adapter is only in there via a press fit. If you have the shotgun out in the open and the loading area is getting messed around with, the adapter could move.

— Cory

Yes. I really liked shooting the Minishells too! I think they make the Shockwave a very formidable self-defense firearm that everyone can handle with accurate and fast follow-up shots. The downside is they’re expensive when you burn through them that fast!

— Cory

They're going to save my shells for me, when they sweep up. I thought I was a high roller there, but when I stopped by today, some guy was shooting three of his recently purchased machine guns. One was familiar to me, as I recall the $30k sticker price. Between that and the other two, he had to be in for $50-60k. Here is a guy who dropped that much on three guns to add to his collection, and we're all excited that we can get a Shockwave without a stamp. Geez.

Back