• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Groups with rifled slugs at 100 yards?

If I want to tip the scales further in my favor, which rifled slugs give a little better accuracy? Federal TruBall? Brenneke?

TruBall slugs are not a bad product, but they're not sniper loads either. I get nearly identical results with the blue box Federals. Some shotguns shoot the Brenneke's and some do not.
My 20ga and 12ga both shoot Remington, Winchester, and Federal slugs of the same weight, to the same point of impact at 50yds-75yds. The Federal suggestion that you can pull the trigger with confidence shooting the TruBalls @ 100yds might be true with somebody's shotgun, my four different barrels not so much. A 10"-12" group at 100yds is a good day. I have Remington barrels with rifled RemChokes, skeet chokes, and fully rifled barrels. Tried them all.
The same barrels with Federal sabots ( https://www.federalpremium.com/ammu...ly/power-shok/power-shok-sabot-slugs/f127-ss2 ), will shrink that group size by 1/2. You'll need a rifled choke tube or fully rifled barrel. The mega dollar sabots from most that make them will shoot in the 4" range, but again, unless you have a rifled barrel, they are a waste of time.

Oh well.

Where they are the law, slugs work just fine out to that 75yd distance, even through a smooth bore. You can kill a lot of deer cleanly even that far out. Past that, it's poke and hope. Never bother to do that myself.

Leading, yep, they do do that. And accuracy falls off sooner than later. 10 shots down a rifled tube and you can barely see any rifling, or hit anything. My newest barrel, a 20ga, loses accuracy quickly past 5-6 shots. shooting Foster type slugs. Still not a problem. When I can't get venison hanging in six shots, I'll stop hunting.

I simply can't get 100 yard shots where I live and hunt. I'm lucky to get 75 yard shots most of the time.

I've never deer hunted with slugs due to my fear of losing a lot of meat due to bruising/bloodshot. Though I think that my typical 50 yards or less shots that I can get would be more than adequate.

Back