• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

found problem with new 88

i posted a while back about my maverick 88 being real stiff and working the action plus cleaning helped. i believe now that working the action was what got it better but not fix it. i was checking closely and found out as the elevator went down the outer arm would hang at the top of the cartridge interceptor, at the spot that stick up on the interceptor. and force was needed to bring it over it. i now have a spot worn into my elevator arm where it is hitting, not a groove yet but looks like it could be soon. i called mossberg, they sent a new elevator, interceptor and stop, but the new one is doing the same to some degree although not as bad. is any ones elses doing this?, the gun shoots great and has no feeding issues, would honing that spot down on the interceptor hurt anything? thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Is it getting hung to up or just rubbing?
My elevator wasn't wearing a groove but I did smooth out the sides to and now it's silky smooth.
The wear marks that you see on the elevator are the ones that I made.

Last edited:
Is it getting hung to up or just rubbing?
My elevator wasn't wearing a groove but I did smooth out the sides to and now it's silky smooth.
The wear marks that you see on the elevator are the ones that I made.

if i pump fast it goes past it but has rubbed a mark on the elevator, i checked and there isn't a groove that can be felt but it is a mark that can be seen. if i pump slow it catches on that part that sticks up on the interceptor looks like a triangle, if i push in on the interceptor area the elevator comes down. it isn't a hard catch, just enough to feel. thanks

if i pump fast it goes past it but has rubbed a mark on the elevator, i checked and there isn't a groove that can be felt but it is a mark that can be seen. if i pump slow it catches on that part that sticks up on the interceptor looks like a triangle, if i push in on the interceptor area the elevator comes down. it isn't a hard catch, just enough to feel. thanks
Hmm. I'm out of pocket and away from mine. I'll have to take a look at it and get back to you. Sonds like maybe the interceptor/stop mightn't be sitting flush in the receiver maybe???

got it apart again and there was some metal in that slot that was stuck but came out, looks like shavings when they milled the receiver. no other shavings found, so this was probably the trouble. i did like the looks of the rest of the receiver, no wear at all so all the other parts should be good. i did notice slight surface rust or brown stuff in the trigger group, how would be the best way to get it out? strange that it rusted, i bought it in november new and mossberg says it was made in aug 2017, they really greased the bolt but seamed to leave the trigger group dry, when i first cleaned it in nov. i oiled it then and the rust or whatever it is hasn't got worse but is still there, thanks

Strip it all the way down to the lifter alone. Nothing else. Use your finger and flip the lifter up and down inside the receiver and see if it hits anything. It should be totally silent, no rubs and no hits. If it rubs or hits anything, remove it and flex the arms left or right, apart, together etc til you get it to swing totally smooth and silently in the receiver. Once you get to that point, insert the bolt and hold it down solid about halfway back in the port and work the lifter again. Adjust again til it doesn't hit or rub the bolt. You'll eventually find one perfect spot where the lifter will work perfectly silently and smoothly without rubbing the inside of the receiver nor the bolt. Reassemble it all and try it out. It'll be noticeably quieter and smoother. And I mean FLEX, not hard bend! You can use a section of pipe as a wrench of a sort and you can use the bolt itself as a spacer to flex the lifter arms around. Once you get yours tuned, right, flip it up and down a few times each time you strip and clean and just slightly open the arms before you reassemble it. It should have a very slight Y to the arms when examined outside the gun. And that rub you have is common. It happens to all pump shotguns. It happens to ALL firearms. Moving parts rub and scuff. Your gun is going to rub and it's going to scuff. Get used to it. It won't stay pristine if you keep moving the parts.

Back