• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Guy to Mossberg and Shotguns with Ammo Question..

BTAZ

.22LR
Hello I looked in the announcements but did not see this so sorry if I missed it..

I just purchased a 930 SPX and want to use it for :

1. Range Days ( outdoors target and mounted clay )
2. Home Protection

So question is what this best Ammo

Thanks

I know more people will chime in but testing will yield an effective shell that will cycle the action every time. And I'm sure someone will recommend one or several that work well.

And if that 930 is brand new, there may be a "break-in" period before it cycles reliably. A good cleaning and lube is recommended before you go to the range. Search on here and you'll probably find the takedown procedure and DO read the owner's manual if you have one. If no manual, you can probably download one from Mossberg directly. Recommended reading, it is...

I assume that your 930 has screw in chokes? Correct?

If yes, an improved cylinder choke tube will work well for slugs and buckshot. (I don't advocated using birdshot to protect your family with unless you're being attacked by a swarm of birds).

As for range days for skeet shooting, I like a good old fashioned MODIFIED choke. They tend to be nice middle ground to give you enough spread to be able to do well with clays, and tight enough to give you a little more range to get them than a skeet choke, but that's just me personally.

I assume that your 930 has screw in chokes? Correct?

If yes, an improved cylinder choke tube will work well for slugs and buckshot. (I don't advocated using birdshot to protect your family with unless you're being attacked by a swarm of birds).

As for range days for skeet shooting, I like a good old fashioned MODIFIED choke. They tend to be nice middle ground to give you enough spread to be able to do well with clays, and tight enough to give you a little more range to get them than a skeet choke, but that's just me personally.
Thanks, I will have to look into chokes..

Well then, that kinda scrubs that.

I wasn't aware that the SPX was a fixed choke.

In that case, won't have any problems with the slugs and buckshot for defense.

But the skeet shooting may leave a little to be desired.

Don’t mess with any type of “low recoil” anything for home protection ammo. That will elminate a lot of choices, that’s my .02 for now.

Don’t mess with any type of “low recoil” anything for home protection ammo. That will elminate a lot of choices, that’s my .02 for now.

I disagree with you on that one... with a caveat. If you want to use a low recoil load, just make sure it's 100% reliable in your firearm.

I completely wrung out my SPX with Federal #1 FliteControl (which is a low-recoil load) before I started keeping it loaded with it. For me, it's totally reliable and spits the fired hulls 6-10 feet to my right and rear. There's plenty of power there.

Last edited:
Many people feel they need low recoil shells. Many guys absolutely have to get a limb saver stock or extra cushy shoulder pad when they shoot their shotgun. None of those apply to me as shooting bird or buck doesn’t bother me, I actually enjoy shooting them.

I think 1150fps is the slowest speed my SPX will reliably function all the time, every time. That is a speed where low recoil kinda lives at and I like to stay above that speed for a home defense load. I would try to minimize as much of a chance of ammo not cycling when I absolutely need it to function.
I would not use a low recoil for home defense, I will just consider myself fortunate to not have a need to rely on low recoil shells. I get that peeps use low recoil for a day at the range or in a multi day training class where they would shoot many boxes of shells. But bad guys breaking into my home gets the full octane dose when it comes to home defense. I doubt the typical home defense encounter is gonna shoot enough to even require reloading. They can handle the limited number of regular load shells to defend their home. Its just an opinion, nobody has to agree.

Use what your comfortable and confident with and stay safe.

I can't recall ever using a semi auto shotgun for HD use.

In that case, it would be advisable to test a bunch of shells to make sure your gun will cycle whatever you plan to use reliably.

But that really goes for any gun you plan to use.

I bought my SPX specifically for HD. I shoot the crap out of slugs/00. All I shoot with this gun is high recoil. I have other guns to shoot bird shot.

Back