• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930-935 parts and mod

I’m looking at getting the Pro-Series Gas Piston Assembly, Boron Nitride Finish is it worth the upgrade? I was also looking at getting the stainless steel recoil spring, but I don’t know if it was worth it or where to get it being it is not showing up in parts on Mossberg. Any thoughts and opinions on these? I was also thinking of doing a lifter mod, but is it worth doing it with a Hunting gun?

I have a boron nitride bolt in an AR. Its nice but I cant really tell the difference when firing it. Perhaps over the long haul it will wear less.

Millions of guns have been sold and fired to death without it or SS springs. IMHO if you are looking for justification it is propably not needed, but i dont think it will hurt if you have the money to spend on it.

I replaced the lifter on my 930 because I got tired ot catching my thump and fingers in the OEM lifter. That is one upgrade I would recommend to anyone.

I'm with Mike.

It's not going to hurt it to put the parts in it. They're good parts from everything I've seen and heard about them.

I also have a lot of nitride parts on various guns and I like them. But as Mike mentioned, I can't tell a difference when I'm shooting them, but they seem to be wearing well for the long haul so far. I have noticed ease of cleaning, and parts wear/tear seem to be really good too.

With that said, I clean and take care of my stuff. As most folks here do. Is it really necessary for most of us? Probably not.

Is it a bad idea to upgrade parts that you know are important to the function of the gun? No, it's not.

Is it 110% necessary? No, it's not.

If your gun is working, it's working.

I almost forgot where can I get the SS recoil spring? Does anyone know the difference between boron nitride and Anodized with Teflon? I’m wanting to get a modified lifter and bolt done in damp earth.

Last edited:
I think Mossberg uses the ss spring in their JM pro guns. So, they could probably sell you a spring by itself.

I only use my JM Pro for hunting and have run over 5000 shells through it without a hiccup. It did come with the SS spring from the factory. The only mod I did was the Lifter Mod that Mike mentioned above.

Back