• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Followers

Is upgrading the plastic follower in my 835 worth it? Also I know it ain’t a Mossy but my old 870 20 has a metal follower is it worth it to upgrade the follower?

I think it`s a good and affordable upgrade....I changed the one in my SW and the action is smoother so I`ll be ordering one for my Mav 88.

101_8596.JPG 101_8599.JPG

I like metal followers in my shotguns. I admit it.

I can honestly say I've never had a problem using a plastic follower if it's any consolation.

But in my heart, I know that plastic/polymer degrades over time. Maybe it won't be enough to matter in my lifetime, but it's not uncommon to come across guns that are 100 years old and still work as well today as they did when they were boxed up off the assembly line. So what about down the road?

Certain chemicals (gun cleaners) will degrade plastic. Another thing to be cautious of. Ballistol for instance is extremely hard on certain plastics.

Cold temperatures will often cause plastic to crack.

And too hot will cause plastic to melt.

None of the above are applicable to metal followers. And that's why I like metal followers.

I admit I haven't bought a new Mossy in a few years now. Maybe five or so. But, to be honest, I have never seen a Mossy that came from the factory with a plastic follower! Is this something new? Price-wise, any part substitution you will ever see is due to cost....and I simply can't see any savings on molding a plastic follower compared to simply stamping a penny of steel. The plastic itself isn't even cheaper. The process is much more involved. That said, if I had a Mossy with a plastic follower, I'd spend the $1 and grab a steel factory part off of Ebay or Gunbroker.

My 835 was made in early 97. So it is not new. I bought it brand new, and know that the follower was is OEM.

Attachments

• E3988D78-313F-4AC8-83F7-7F2C00DAD0EE.jpeg
    E3988D78-313F-4AC8-83F7-7F2C00DAD0EE.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 6
I have a Mossberg 500 that I bought new in Fall 2000 that had that same camo pattern on it. I will add that it is a steel follower.

My 1989 Rem 870 magnum had a plastic follower.

Both the 1300's have metal followers.

My Charles Daly maxi mag semi has a plastic follower. Though admittedly, it is an aftermarket Choate. I'm uncertain what it had originally and doubt I could find it, but I'm pretty sure it was plastic.

My Nobel Shotgun (Montgomery wards - pre 1968) appears to be a stamped steel follower.

My stevens model 79 has a red plastic follower. It for sure is factory.

I've been shooting Mossberg pumps for years and always used OEM metal followers without any issues. But I recently looked at the one Elbert installed and it appears the improvement is simply due to the reduction in contact surface. Just guessing but it appears the actual contact surface with the magazine tube is reduced by half or more which theoretically should improve the smoothness.

However, think there are valid questions regarding the life expectancy of the plastic follower. Wonder if anyone has experimented with either modifying an OEM follower to reduce the contact surface or by simply polishing the follower to a high luster to reduce friction. Seems this might be a better way to go if you're unsatisfied with the stock follower.

Is the follower the same for a 835 as a 500?

To the best of my knowledge the 500, 590 and 835 have the exact same follower. If memory serves me right an OEM metal follower cost is somewhere between 5 and 10 dollars so cheap enough to experiment if you like.

Regards

My problem wasn't the fact that it was plastic, it was the fact that it was thin and could get cocked in the bore and drag.

If it was longer then it is across it would be fine IMO. That's the only reason I bought an aluminum follower.

All 500 family guns are the same follower, yep. That's why that strikes me as funny that one gun, for some reason, has a plastic follower that imparts zero improvement and adds cost. The only thing I can see on a plastic is that they can be self lubricating....maybe cut a fraction of a sec of noise? Followers are cheap. Buy other parts and they're often simply added in. Buy an old mag tube to practice refinishing and you'll most likely get the spring and follower, too. Spending more than $5 on ANY aftermarket follower and expecting improved function is the purest definition of I need a fresh cup of coffee.

Richard if you don’t believe me I will pull it out and take a pic and post it. I looked up a on eBay Mossberg Follower and they rang from 9-15$.

I don't think anyone is calling you a liar.

If you have a small magnet, that would be very telling where a plastic/steel follower is concerned.

Belief has nothing to do with it. If you don't mind, though, pull it and post it. I'd love to see it just to see it. And as I said, buy an old mag tube and you'll most likely get the spring and follower free.

Whichever is the cheapest.

The pikes.

Back