• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are any of you shell reloaders making your own mini-shells?

Tom396

.30-06
With the talk of mini shells and the adapter for using them, I wondered if any of you reloaders are creating your own mini shells? I know there might be a limited use for them. I know I wouldn't use my own reloads in my home defense weapon. Not because I might not trust them, but because I would not want to be explaining them in a courtroom.

Still, I think it would be cool to make and shoot some. Take care. Tom Worthington

I wouldn't use my own reloads in my home defense weapon. Not because I might not trust them, but because I would not want to be explaining them in a courtroom.

Still, I think it would be cool to make and shoot some. Take care. Tom Worthington

I know there are many that shares the same opinion.

I don't have a problem with it either way.

If I have to defend myself or my family, I'm going to do it with the best materials that I have available. I take the safety of my family very seriously. No less serious than the choices the military makes using the best equipment they have that protects the country, or no less important than the best materials that police can have that protects the community. I should be treated no differently.

It's well known that LEO agencies follow current NIJ standards to make sure that their bullets will go at least a minimum depth.

I'll say that again and add emphasis here: MINIMUM standards.

To my knowledge, NIJ or anyone else has never issued a guideline that says there is a MAXIMUM standard of how bullets perform. :quote:

If I have to protect myself or family, play time is over. I intend to protect my family no matter what. If it comes out in court that I make my own, I don't care. Maybe I made the particular ones I used, maybe I didn't. I would've defended my family without regard to who made it.

I just prefer my own because I feel that I have better quality control and manufacturing standards than some automated machine. The rest is just semantics.

That's about all I've got to say about that.

On second thought, I'm not going to get involved in this one. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to ambulance chasing lawyer scum in civil court.

Yes and no. I'm thinking that if I'm on trial for my life, I want everything and anything possible to be in my favor. I feel the same way about pistol grips and a few other accessories. Simply because I can envision their appearance someday being used against me. No, they shouldn't make any difference to the justice system. But I'm pretty sure any prosecution attorney will be sure a jury sees the weapon and the ammo, just to see if it helps his argument that I am some wanton killer, hoping an intruder attacks me. Otherwise, he wouldn't have dragged me into court in the first place.

But back to the question. Is anyone making their own mini shells? If I did, I'd use them for the range, but keep the bought ones loaded for home defense...if I was satisfied with their performance. Take care. Tom Worthington

Mini shells are a neat idea but I wouldn't choose to get my MEC loaders all goofed up to crimp mini shells.

For me I would just buy them if I wanted some, and leave my loaders alone.

Back