• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Blackaces Tactical Folding Brace Assemply

I ran about 100 rounds through my 20 gauge Shockwave with the folding brace extended, red dot sight and green laser. The ammo consisted of reduced load rifled slugs, full load buckshot, and #7 target loads. It ran like a champ with no failures and negligible recoil on all loads.

The laser let me down - the battery was dead. Evidently I had inadvertently put it back in the safe with it switched on. I also noticed that that bottom loading gate edges are a little sharp. I didn't cut myself, but easily could have while pushing rounds in the tube.

I may have accidentally let the arm brace touch my shoulder while firing once or twice. I barely felt it against my shoulder, even with the full load buckshot. I'm disappointed that the laser was inop; I wanted to see how close quarters laser hip shots worked. I did do a few hip shots with the buckshot and splattered the center of the target at 5 yards.

Overall, I am satisfied with my SW for the first time out. It's broken in now and performed as expected. My groups at 15 yards with the slugs weren't spectacular - about 5 - 6 inches. Next time out I'll do better.

Last edited:
I spent about an hour on the range today dialing in the red dot sight on my SW. After about 15 rounds of 20 gauge with full load rifled slugs I was getting 3 inch groups on COM at 15 yards. I also got some nice groups with 5 #7 field loads. I am satisfied that my SW is more that adequate as a home defense weapon.

I have to point out that the pistol brace was not particularly comfortable against my shoulder with the rifled slugs - not as bad as a 12 gauge, but still the recoil was stout. I am tempted to make a rubber recoil pad, but I think the ATF might have issues with that. The Trinity Green Laser didn't hold up well. After 3 rounds it stopped working - my guess is that it doesn't handle the recoil well. I am returning it to Amazon tomorrow.

One last comment. One guy at the range noticed right away that is had a short barrel and asked if it was a police model. I tried to explain what it is and about the ATF regulations, but he clearly didn't get it. I am sure that he left thinking it was a Short Barreled Shotgun.

So my SW is in 20 gauge, which seems to work pretty well. Because the 20 gauge shells are smaller in diameter than the 12 gauge, the loading gate is narrower as well. For me that means I skin my knuckles on the edges loading gate as I push shells into the magazine. No big deal.

The other thing is that I have is a Black Aces Tactical Quad Rail System. That's a little problematic because they use the 12 gauge barrel adapter on the 20 gauge SW. That leaves a little gap between the front of the quad rail and the barrel adapter. When you attempt to screw it together, the quad rail will be out of alignment with the barrel. The solution turns out to be pretty easy; just use a couple of washers on either side of the barrel adapter to take up the slack. I used two of the washers left over from when I removed the slide hand strap. They fill the gap very nicely. I sent Black Aces Tactical an email on this, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Let me know if you want more detail on this modification if you have a 20 gauge SW and a Black Aces Quad Rail System. If you don't think you have a problem, look more closely at the muzzle in of your gun.

Why no picture? How is anyone supposed to understand what is being discussed? ;) My thoughts are that for $175 it becomes very easy to over-accessorize these things...

View attachment 17608

I like everything about that configuration, except for the pointed end. Will probably just start out with the folding brace assy, at first, to see how I like it.

One concern is will that set-up fit into any available shotgun scabbard?

I use the black cordura soft case that I use for my Bushmaster XM-15. It's just about the right length for the SW with the brace extended with the laser, red dot and light mounted on the rail. I threw that pointy thing out; it's an accident ready to happen.

I've got a 29" Bulldog case that I can carry my SW in but a simpler scabbard would be my preference.
Knowing what you know now, would you recommend the BAT folding brace? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate it, overall?

I like the folding brace except mine folds on the left. Being a righty, that makes it difficult to operate the slide with my left hand on the slide and my right hand on the pistol grip. If I had to do it over, I would have got a folding brace on the right. That being said, I keep the brace extended all the time, so it doesn't make a big difference.

Most of my weapons have folding stocks and I rarely, if ever, shoot them with the stock folded. The main reason I prefer them is for their portability.
How well does the brace suppress recoil?

With target loads and reduced slug loads the brace is quite comfortable. However, the other day I shot a couple of boxes of 20 gauge rifled slugs with full loads and the recoil was uncomfortable. I may build a temporary shoulder pad to help manage the recoil with heavy loads. Anything permanent would be considered a redesign and possibly draw attention from the ATF and State Police. Or even simpler, just don't use those heavy loads.

I just talked to Black Aces Tactical to see if I could get their quad rail, without the shell holder. Though not listed on their site, one can purchase just the rail, for $169.95. One can also purchase their pistol grip w/folding buffer tube assy, no brace, for $99. The brace I have planned for my AR pistol build, is the new SBA3 from SB Tactical, so I would like to try one of those out on my SW, first. The SBA3 was introduced at the SHOT Show, this year.
https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

I was considering building an AR pistol using a brace like in your photo. The issue is that I built an AR rifle years ago using a Bushmaster lower. This was about 20 years ago. The FFL did not register the lower as either a pistol or a rifle. So I assembled a rifle on top of the lower using parts that I purchased separately from various sources. The question that I'm struggling with now is can I use that some lower to assemble an AR pistol given that it was never registered as a rifle? My gut is to just go ahead and do it.

If you built from a bare lower, it almost assuredly was designated as "Other" on the 4473. No one but you knows what it became.
Nice thing about a pistol build, is it can become a rifle and then morph back into a pistol, at a later date. But, for example, if you purchased a new Colt 6920 carbine, you could not ever convert it to a pistol, legally.
Yeah I know, our gun laws are really convoluted and screwed-up.

There was no 4473 back when I purchased the lower, just a NJ transfer form. I think I'm good to build a pistol on it. I wonder if there's any way to check a lower serial number to see if it's registered as a rifle.

I just talked to Black Aces Tactical to see if I could get their quad rail, without the shell holder. Though not listed on their site, one can purchase just the rail, for $169.95. One can also purchase their pistol grip w/folding buffer tube assy, no brace, for $99. The brace I have planned for my AR pistol build, is the new SBA3 from SB Tactical, so I would like to try one of those out on my SW, first. The SBA3 was introduced at the SHOT Show, this year.
https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

I picked up the folding grip and buffer tube from Black Aces and used the SB Mini brace. The brace and tube gave a lop of 14 1/2". A little long and the brace would turn on the tube. I solved both the lop and brace turning. The SB mini has a half step in the rear of the brace tube. I just cut a piece out of the buffer tube and slipped the brace onto the tube. The cut in the buffer tube was just enough for the step in the brace tube to slip under. Now the lop is 13 1/8" and the brace no longer turns. Fits me good. I'm left handed so the folding tube on the left side of the receiver is great for me. Photos in a day or so.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sb-mini/

Here are the photos of the folding brace. I have confirmed that the OAL is measured with the folding brace fully open.

This first photo shows the small step inside the SB Mini brace.

100_0495-640x480.JPG

This second photo shows the cut out I made to reduce the OAL and LOP. AOL folded = 24" and AOL unfolded (BATF measurement) = 33" and LOP = 13 1/8".

100_0498-640x480.JPG

This photo shows the brace fully unfolded.

100_0500-640x480.JPG

This photo shows the brace folded.

100_0502-640x480.JPG

Last edited:
I believe the ATF is measuring with braces extended; for now anyway. If the Democrats win congress and gain oversight of the ATF.... Perhaps that could change. After all they were able to require the FBI to Mirandize terror suspects before questioning in foreign countries after 2006.

Another folding device to consider would be the matadorarms.com "Sidewinder"

Back