• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Void the mossberg warranty?

Berg500

.22LR
Hey peeps!new to the community and my 500. So there are a few things that I want to change/put on and want to know if it'll void any warranties. I bought a AIM sports 6ct sidesaddle but I realized after installing that the slide action over laps the main part of the gun (where the internals sit) and it wont fully cock all the way bc of the 6-3/4" action assembly .I plan on eventually swapping the assembly to the 7-3/4" assembly and get a magpul forend. Question is would I void the warranty from mossberg if I cut down the forend so it pumps fully?

All 4 of my 500's were bought used, no warranty .
Honestly I have never heard of someone voiding a warranty on one.

I would just make the gun the way I wanted it, but that is just me :)

I'm looking to get a new action tube bc I really want to put on the magpul forend and it requires the longer tube. Plus the one it has on it feels flimsy

As dependable as 500 is there is good chance you`ll never need the warranty any way and the action is loose by design but It`s your`s to customize as you please and if you ever have a problem with it you can just take to a local gunsmith for repair.

Changing the tube and installing the magpul handguard sounds like the best course of action. That would give you exactly what you want.

Though I don't think cutting the back of the handguard would void your warranty as long as you didn't ask them to replace it later on if you changed your mind. LOL

I don't like handguards covering my loading port either. I know where you're coming from.

I have had to use mossbergs warranty to get replacement cartridge stop and interrupter arms. Warranty work does need to happen sometimes. Stuff wears out.

Yeah my concern is I mod it and have to send the gun to them they wont work on it. Like a lot of shops wont do alignments on lifted trucks or stuff you add to cars can void the warranty. I'm most likely gonna get the bigger tube assembly anyway but for the time being shaving an inch off my be my best course.

I don't think it would void your warranty.

I'm sure they wouldn't replace the handguard if you chop it, but realistically, that has nothing to do with manufacturers defects, et. al. that is covered by warranty.

You could call Mossberg and ask them and see what they say. That would be a lot more definitive.

That forearm overlap has nothing to do with the tube length, though. It would stick just as far back as nwo if it was mounted on the longer slide tube. That collar where the action bars are pinned is the same exact length no matter the slide tube length. Cutting back on that left side of the forearm is/was a common mod. It's either that or go for a shorter, less rounds on the side saddle. Cut it to your heart's content. Measure twice and cut once. Instead of going full length 7 3/4" slide tube, though, you can go for a conversion castle nut to fit your current tube to the Magpul forearm. Far less cost. But if your current one doesn't feel right, by all means go for a new tube and give it a try. Can you post pics of your forearm as it is now? Tube and action bars where they pin, too. I'd love to see which one you have.

Welcome to the forum, Berg! Lots of smart folks here that are happy to lend a hand with info and tips!

Among others I own a Mossberg 500 & the gun was so inexpensive that the last thing in the world I worried about is voiding any warranties.

These things are cheap and easy to fix buddy. They're very hard to screw up to a point where it can't be repaired inexpensively.

Another thing to consider is the cost of obtaining warranty service which is very high where I live. I must ship the gun Coast to Coast and provide bulletproof packaging so it doesn't get damaged in transit. I also have to pay for insurance in case it disappears, and wait a long time for the transit hoping it doesn't disappear.

But every good gun store knows about these guns, so you can take one in if it's balky and they can fix you up and it will be about a hundred times faster than sending it back to Mossberg for anything related to the warranty.

If you read a few of the threads here on the 500 you'll see which pieces people have bent by mischance, and you will know what kind of spare parts you might keep on hand just in case. Also you'll know what to expect regarding the break-in period of the gun and the maintenance required.

Last edited:
That looks like the modern pinned forearm type. Are the bars pinned directly to the plastic there, Berg? Is there a castle nut on the front? That one, if it is the pinned type, can't be changed to mount a new type of forearm so the only thing you can do on that one is cut it. You did that perfectly, too. Great cut! If you decide to go Magpul, you'll need a whole new slide tube. My opinion, if you want to go tactical, go for the 7 5/8" dimpled "quiet carry". But if you want to go tactical with maybe a switch to a sporting forearm later, go for the 6 1/2" and an extension nut. You can mount either the long or short on that setup.

We had a regular here a few months back cut one like yours down at a slight angle. Looked really great, too. Never ceases to amaze me the skill of some of you guys! I try to cut one, I end up slicing a finger. My hands are deadly weapons ;)

That looks like the modern pinned forearm type. Are the bars pinned directly to the plastic there, Berg? Is there a castle nut on the front? That one, if it is the pinned type, can't be changed to mount a new type of forearm so the only thing you can do on that one is cut it. You did that perfectly, too. Great cut! If you decide to go Magpul, you'll need a whole new slide tube. My opinion, if you want to go tactical, go for the 7 5/8" dimpled "quiet carry". But if you want to go tactical with maybe a switch to a sporting forearm later, go for the 6 1/2" and an extension nut. You can mount either the long or short on that setup.

We had a regular here a few months back cut one like yours down at a slight angle. Looked really great, too. Never ceases to amaze me the skill of some of you guys! I try to cut one, I end up slicing a finger. My hands are deadly weapons ;)

Yeah from the research that ive looked up, this design is a weaker design that mossberg put on it for some reason...prolly to make more money. My issue is that it feels flimsy and likes to shimmy a bit. Also, there isnt any real option out there except to go with the 7-3/4" action tube. I appreciate the compliment on the cut. I used a black and decker dremel like rotary tool and taped off the line to follow. Somehow I still managed to get it overlapped some but it fits perfectly with the AIM sports side saddle. I do eventually want to get the Magpul Moe M-Lok forend which works with the 7-3/4" action tube. For me I dont want to go with the tactical look because I use it for hunting primarily, but this will give me the ability to go tactical when Im at home. Which means eventually I get a tactical barrel. I like the fact that with this gun, its easy to change the look with 10min of time.

Back