• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

9mm AR's

Do a 10mm or 45acp next go round.

I swear, if I was made out of money, I would be putting together parts for either one right now instead of typing.

Kak makes good stuff. Hahn does too, but they're way up there. Spikes also did magwell adapters. They may still be for all I know. I haven't looked in a while.

And the 45's aren't really that much more expensive to build either. You just have to be patient waiting for the parts to be available.

Do a 10mm or 45acp next go round.

I swear, if I was made out of money, I would be putting together parts for either one right now instead of typing.

Kak makes good stuff. Hahn does too, but they're way up there. Spikes also did magwell adapters. They may still be for all I know. I haven't looked in a while.

And the 45's aren't really that much more expensive to build either. You just have to be patient waiting for the parts to be available.

Yeah spikes stopped a few years ago. I'll probably go KAK.

Then I'm gonna do a .308 build.

9mm is just so damn cheap to shoot.

June I'll have a portable work bench and a vice to properly install my barrels so I'll be ready to go solo from now on.

And it will be glorious.

I think I've been bitten with the bug. I want to build another one. Thinking of a drop in magwell adaptor from Kak industries or Hahn. My buddy was jelly and built one with the Kak adaptor and so far it's been solid. He shoots a lot and is a master RO so if it's held up by the end of the year I'll jump on some black friday deals. If Primary Arms has another stripped lower deals I'll jump on them.

This build will be more budget based than the one I built for my wife.
If you want to keep to the glock pattern they do make a glock pattern adapter now as well.
https://getstern.com/collections/all/9mm-conversion-kit
He makes a good point though of pointing out getting used to the different mag release on this setup though. I figure this might be a little interesting to you since I know you already have the glock mags.

First that I have heard of them.

I knew it was just a matter of time though. Thanks for sharing that.

If you want to keep to the glock pattern they do make a glock pattern adapter now as well.
https://getstern.com/collections/all/9mm-conversion-kit
He makes a good point though of pointing out getting used to the different mag release on this setup though. I figure this might be a little interesting to you since I know you already have the glock mags.

I looked into it. Read the entire website. No products to be sold in NY at this time.

I researched the Stern adaptor some more and it seems the LRBHO is spotty and the mag release in the earlier version snapped off by some testers.

I'm not too worried about getting a different set of mags. My Glock build was specific to my wife who's gun is a Glock 19 so I wanted something for her to have interchangeability between rifle and handgun. Especially since she is home with the family all day long.

I'm pretty solid on doing a colt mag build.

1 - there seems to be no proprietary mag release
2 - LRBHO seems to be a bit more reliable
3 - magazines aren't expensive at all
4 - a $50 lower + $100 adapter is $100 less than the dedicated lowers I've seen with the exception of the PSA Glock lowers that don't have a LRBHO.

4 - a $50 lower + $100 adapter is $100 less than the dedicated lowers I've seen with the exception of the PSA Glock lowers that don't have a LRBHO.

1. There is a 9mm mag release that works a little better in some cases.

I recently switched to one because I have one mag that the mag catch barely held the mag in place. With that one mag, it would just all of a sudden just drop out and land at my feet without rhyme or reason or warning.

Since I have replaced the catch with this, it seats a little deeper and the mag and work better.

http://stores.9mmar.com/spikes-tactical-mag-catch-9mm-only/

or

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.display/product_id/5819/index.cfm

3. magazines run anywhere from $10-$32'ish each depending on which you like. Most all of mine are converted uzi mags because I already had a bunch of them. And converting isn't exactly the right term I guess, but I had to mill the notch for the mag catch in the bodies. Took all of a couple minutes each measuring them and then taking the spring and follower out so I didn't cut them too. They don't hold the bolt open though. Other mags like Cpro and ASC, Colts, and metalform will lock back when empty.

Personally, I don't mind it not holding open and it isn't a huge deal to me. I would personally hope to never have to expend an entire 32 round magazine in the first place. But I see the appeal of it I guess. In reality, I have more guns that don't lock open when empty than do. So, I don't pay much attention to it.

4. I think I have about $210 tied up in my mag block and Anderson stripped lower altogether. At the same time, they didn't have the glock conversions when I was doing mine. I have also seen Sten conversion mag blocks when sten mags were dumped on the market for cheap. And there was a company that made a mag block for Unmodified uzi mags if you could find one on the used market because I don't think they're in business anymore despite the blocks worked great.

I also don't have any glock stuff, so I'd have to spend out more buying a bunch of mags too so that too is a consideration.

I don't necessarily think either glock, colt, sten, uzi, or whatever style is better than another really. Just a different route to get to the same point. The only exception maybe would be glocks have drums. But I'm not a big drum mag guy anyway. I can usually buy enough stick mags to have double the capacity of a drum for the same cost per capacity. But, that's getting into a different subject altogether.

I researched the Stern adaptor some more and it seems the LRBHO is spotty and the mag release in the earlier version snapped off by some testers.

I'm not too worried about getting a different set of mags. My Glock build was specific to my wife who's gun is a Glock 19 so I wanted something for her to have interchangeability between rifle and handgun. Especially since she is home with the family all day long.

All good reasons in my mind for you to go colt mag setup as well. One of the larger factors to me that I didn't see you list is that the colt mag conversions and dedicated lowers have a feed ramp. Where as the glock pattern ones do not and becomes an issue for running HP's.

I also thought this mag adapter was pretty interesting, skip to 3:20 to hear about their colt ar9 mags and 3:50 for the mag block if you're not interested in hearing about their new drum mags, which sound pretty good.

All good reasons in my mind for you to go colt mag setup as well. One of the larger factors to me that I didn't see you list is that the colt mag conversions and dedicated lowers have a feed ramp. Where as the glock pattern ones do not and becomes an issue for running HP's.

Oddly enough my glock build ran 124gr HST no issues.

So I've been parts browsing, probably do a build in the coming months. Will definitely be a standard lower, with mag block. My ultimate decision now, is, pistol, or carbine?

For me, the shorter variant is more useful.

But you have to weigh in your wants, needs, laws, etc.

Wish I could do a pistol with a brace. 50oz max here in NY for a pistol or else it's aN assault weapon. Wtf does that even mean.... faggotry.

Are there any real pros/cons of a carbine, over a pistol?

I guess a better question, is there a significant difference in buffer setup between a blowback 9mm and a DI in .223, or 300Blk, in an AR pistol. Say I wanted to go from 9mm pistol, to 300 blk pistol, would i just pull the mag block, swap a buffer assy, and drop the upper on?

Last edited:
You will get an ever so slight increase in velocity with the carbine.

Not enough to really make you do a happy dance, but will be enough to push some subsonic bullets just barely over into supersonic territory and start making supersonic cracks every now and then even with a suppressor.

Of course, the carbine can have a stock, grip, and all the usual bells and whistles, though I still like the shorter variants.

They're not long range weapons, so the shorter ones perform as well as the bullet itself will do.

Even the shorter ones are capable out to 150'ish yards if you do your job. Aim at the head and you'll hit somewhere in the torso at extended distance. That's with a 25 yard zero.

With the legality of shouldering a pistol brace now settled for the time being I dunno why this is even a question. Also the addition of now adjustable pistol braces and the ability to cross over most state lines with a pistol as opposed to a SBR it just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter.

With the legality of shouldering a pistol brace now settled for the time being I dunno why this is even a question. Also the addition of now adjustable pistol braces and the ability to cross over most state lines with a pistol as opposed to a SBR it just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter.

Incidental/accidentally touching it against the shoulder while firing is one thing.

Intentionally shouldering a brace and/or using the brace as a stock/shoulder fired gun, will reclassify the pistol as an SBR. You don't want to do that.

I jumped on the bandwagon today. Picked up a Spikes Multi stripped lower 107 bucks out the door. Same place had a H&R 12ga. For 125. I fear I may regret not getting it also.

Any benefit to the dedicated pistol caliber uppers? Vs. A regular smooth side upper? And will the pistol caliber upper work with a mag block, as in, does the ejection port line up properly with the magazine?

Back