• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Failure to Extract

dude

.22LR
Supporter
I started shooting skeet and we have to use bird shot #9

Unfortunately our club only has federal ammo.

I have ‘Failure to Extract’, empty hull just binds to chamber and I have to use rod to extract one.

Do I need to polish chamber or this issue indicates something else?

Please review attached picture, i may experience this issue with 5-6 rounds per box.

No issues with 7 1/2 and 8 trap loads only skeet.

Attachments

• 20180311_165039a.jpg
    20180311_165039a.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 32
When I first bought my 930 SPX, it did the same thing with Federal buckshot. I called Mossberg CS and sent the shotgun to them to fix that and a couple of other issues.

I included a few fired Federal hulls in the box, just so they could see what I was talking about.

I would look at the extractor specifically before sending it off for repair.

It's possible that there is some debris or burr on the extractor that it causing it to tear the rims up like that.

Just to say it in case you didn't know, those are steel rims on those hulls. It would take a lot to chew them up like that.

In addition to the visual checks already suggested for your extractor/shell stop suggested already, honing/polishing the chamber would be the next step. More info on what your malfunctions look like when it happens would help narrow it down. Sometimes in the heat of competition it can be difficult to recall the process as you're simply trying to get the gun running in a hurry. When you have the time to analyze one, here are some observations to make that will help narrow it down:

1) How did I first know there was a problem? Did I pull the trigger and get a click? Did the next round jam into the back of one still in the chamber? Did more than one feed from the mag tube?

2) Once I noticed a problem, what did I do? Did I attempt to quickly charge the gun? Did anything eject or feed from the tube when I did? Do I know where that hull went?

This happens a LOT in 3-Gun with every make/model out there and it is tough to reconstruct what the issue is without knowing the above.

If you got a 'click', the bolt went back far enough to reset the trigger and the shell may have extracted just fine, but didn't eject. It may have then been crammed back into the chamber (where it is now REALLY stuck) or may have had its rim ripped on the initial way out and already WAS stuck. This is usually a lousy ammo or rough chamber issue. If you have other rounds involved in the jam you may also have issues with feeding from the tube that can be magazine spring or shell stop related.

Since you are only having this problem with one kind of ammo, it would be fair to blame it on the ammo until proven otherwise. Some ammo is simply too poor of quality to run right in even a pump shotgun. That said, you may simply be on the edge of running it reliably and need a few tweaks to get it 100%. Start with chamber polishing (the cheapest fix) and then look at reducing the resistance in your gas and recoil systems. We have parts and related suggestions for each of those, but more info on model, round count and knowing what really happened with #1 & 2 above should happen first.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Thanks for the info.

As far as honing/polishing chamber, 5 – 6 years ago I had similar issue with Remington 870.
This is known issues with 870. I used steel wool 0000 with oil for initial polishing and paste to finish.
After that 870 eats all ammo without any issues.

I have tried to use the same approach with 930.
I polished chamber and went to the range.
First 3 rounds were fine after that, I got another fail to extract and I have to use rod to extract fired shell.
I had to apply some force to get it out.
I have tried two more rounds and I got the same issue.
I got home and checked chamber.
Chamber looks fine, no burrs or pitting.
I decided to test with spent shells. I could not easy push spent shells back to the chamber.
Please review attached files.

Attachments

• Chamber_1_a.jpg
    Chamber_1_a.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 24
  • Chamber_2_a.jpg
    Chamber_2_a.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Shell_issue_1_1.jpg
    Shell_issue_1_1.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Shell_issue_2_a.jpg
    Shell_issue_2_a.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Shell_issue_3_a.jpg
    Shell_issue_3_a.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 20
I think you need to be getting on the horn with Mossberg customer service. I don't think there's going to be anything else you're going to be able to do with that gun.

The fact it is coming back to those specific shells and you can almost see an imprint of them in your chamber is making it look more and more like an ammo issue. Have you run any other rounds through it since you starting having these problems with this specific load? Winchester AAs are a good round to verify against.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

If the spent shell of that brand is that tight in the chamber, and other brands work fine I think you might have already answered your question to what’s wrong.

This is EXACTLY what I experienced when my SPX was new. It only happened with Federal Premium shells. I did not try any of the Walmart bulk shells.

Mossberg did not tell me what they did, but it has never done it since I got it back.

I'm experiencing the same failure to extract issue with my new 930 all-purpose. The gun fires, the extractor tears the hull and the spent shell remains lodged in the chamber.

This has now happened ~10 times in just over 100 rounds using Federal Dove & Field 7 1/2, Remington STS 7 1/2 & Browning BPT 7 1/2 loads out of my 28" barrel.

This has happened multiple times with only a single shell loaded in the chamber (empty magazine) and a few times with rounds in the magazine with a new unfired shell being lifted out of the magazine and sitting in the receiver behind the stuck shell.

I have the full suite of OR3Gun products installed along with the Mossberg gas pro piston. I have cleaned every component of the gun multiple times now and have replaced the extractor.

I inspected the barrel and didn't see any burrs, gauges, etc, but I decided to polish the chamber and barrel with the 800 grit flex-hones anyway after seeing numerous posts recommending it.

Now, after still experiencing more of the same I have ordered a 400 grit chamber hone to attempt to remove more material from the obviously tight chamber, but is there anything else worth trying? Forcing cone?

I've about had it with this gun.

is there anything else worth trying?

As I wrote earlier in the thread, it may be worth trying to call the company to have them fix it.

Just a suggestion.

Back