• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SW 20 Gauge Quick Review

veprjack

.22LR
Just a quick review - there was over a foot of snow at the range, and I almost got stuck. I only put 5 rounds of #3 Buck through the gun, and 25 total of #7 and #8. The gun was flawless and even the Buck was very manageable. I haven't shot a 12 gauge version, so I can't compare the two. Suffice it to say that, for the less than 15 yard distances the gun is intended for (house defense, possibly truck gun), there seemed to be plenty of power to meet my needs.

I put a rail on top and installed a tiny CT green laser. I also have a Surefire Outdoorsman on a CDM mount. The gun was very easy to get on target and seemed pretty intuitive to me; the laser was also awesome and I can see its benefit in a dark situation. Even after watching a lot of youtube reviews and reading the posts here and elsewhere, I wasn't sure what to expect regarding recoil. I was very pleasantly surprised (it's a 20, but...) and can't wait for better weather so I can spend more time putting lead downrange.

If this gun continues to impress, I may have to get another one - maybe the 12 gauge? I'm sure that Mossberg will be taking advantage of this weapon's success to come out with updates and other versions. Someone said a .410 would be great, but I probably wouldn't be interested.

If anyone has both the 12 and 20, I'd love to hear your experience regarding recoil, etc. I sure hope my "new favorite" gun continues to be "legal" in the eyes of that three-letter agency! I may become a collector!

ct.jpg

ct1.jpg

I like a .410 gauge. I really do. It's what I cut my shotgun teeth on (so to speak).

But it has very limited shot payloads, and the shells are more than twice as expensive as 12 gauge. That's not to say they're a total waste of time because I've taken all sorts of small game with them. But, you usually have to get in a lot closer, which makes it harder to use.

If you're not having any physical problems shooting those 20's, low brass or managed recoil or handicap 12 gauge (whatever you want to call them) are just as easy shooting as the 20 gauge are. Perhaps maybe even a little softer due to the added heft.

You won't start getting into heavy recoiling until you step up to high brass and magnum 12 gauge loads. Especially those over 3 inches in length really start to get punishing on my bones. I tend to stick with mild 2-3/4" loads these days.

I think you're starting to figure out why shotguns are so popular and versatile.

Thanks for the input!!!

The LGS was supposed to put the 12 gauge version aside for me, but they messed up. A guy there who I really trust simply mentioned that he preferred the 20 and, with my instant gratification in full gear, I walked out with the 20. Based on what you're telling me, I think I'll take a hard look at the 12 for my next purchase. I'll wait if I hear that Mossberg will be coming out with any "interesting mods", but we'll see. I'm happy with my 20, but the 12 is definitely a step up, even with my intended uses in mind. I can always keep the 20 as a milder way to practice a lot at the range, when I want to put 50+ rounds downrange. It still won't be exactly the same, but practicing the basic functions, aiming, etc. builds that muscle memory.

I've owned a few shotguns since 1978, and I know their versatility. BUT, I kept one for hunting birds and as a HD gun, and never really stretched their legs at the range. I also never really got into trap/skeet. The Shockwave really lit a fire under me, and reminded me of how great/versatile the shotgun loads can be. No gun collection should be without at least one. Maybe my renewed interest will inspire me to take my Maverick 12 ga out for a spin?

Funny aside story - back in the late 70s a buddy of mine worked at a famous Boston hospital. He sold me a Remington 870, and I met him at the hospital to pick it up for the weekend. After lunch, we went to his car and he grabbed the gun out of the trunk and handed it to me without the case! So, I'm standing on a very busy main street in BOSTON on a Friday afternoon, holding a shotgun!!! We didn't think much of it, and I don't remember anyone even looking at us funny. Can you imagine doing that today - in BOSTON??? OMG!!

I own several 12 gauge shotguns.

Only 1 with a 20 gauge barrel.

And none with only a pistol grip like the shockwave.

As for recoil, just remember that it's highly dependent on the shell you're shooting.

If you stick with 12 ga shells that have velocity of about 1250 fps or less, they're likely going to be pretty mild and in the same neighborhood as the 20 you're shooting now.

Shells that move along at 1300; 1400 fps; or even more, and you're going to be working your way up into the shells that are going to be a handful.

Not all guns are created the same, but I'm speaking about the 500 and pump shotguns in general.

Paging @Elbert Garrett

Great pics of your 20. That flashlight looks awesome!

I didn't mention that my SW was deadly accurate and aiming it, FOR ME, was very intuitive at ranges out to 10 yards. The pattern was really good too, with the #3 keeping a nice circle from 5 yards out. I tried the laser too, and it worked fine - but I don't want to get in the habit of chasing a dot if someone is shooting at me. YMMV.

I'm having a great time with this gun, even when doing "drills" at home (ammo in different zip code, of course). I just finished putting an XS BigDot sight on the front and it looks amazing. Even with a light and laser on this beast, if I had to respond to an emergency, I want to be able to shoot accurately without depending on electronics. The bead sight was fine, but having a night sight that is BIG and can do "double duty" in the daytime is comforting.

Normally, I don't "pimp out" my guns, but this gun just begs me for it. And, IMHO, the stuff I've added serves a solid function. The laser was a little over the top, but it isn't in the way so...

One major importance is that you always set up your guns to suit you and how you shoot.

It's taken me decades to fill all my SD needs to my satisfaction. I have a G26, Shield9, and LCP2 for CCW. They all function very similarly. If I could conceal the 26 in really hot weather, I wouldn't bother with the other 2 - but they are great guns too.

I have an AR-15 set up for my particular needs, and also an AK. I have an Enfield in .308, but should probably look into getting something more modern, with a scope.

For HD, the SW will do nicely. It could also be used as a decent truck gun. I hope I don't ever have to point a gun at a human being, let alone shoot one. But, if I don't have a choice, I want the best chance possible of coming out of it alive.

No, I don't THINK I'm paranoid by addressing my "concerns". It's a crazy world, and it isn't getting any saner. A good shotgun, as you yourself pointed out, is an incredibly versatile weapon. The SW is certainly not an all around shotgun (and the ATF doesn't even recognize it as a SG), but it sure fills an important niche for me. I've only taken it to the range once, and I'm already thinking about buying the 12 version! Fantastic gun!

Takign care of your own defense does not come cheap, or easy.

Good job. And who needs to pay for a range when you have THAT???
Thanks! I used to have access to a range being a friend of a good friend of the property owner. However it was only on a weekend and IF my friend was going to be there. Later they shut it down for a while to clear cut the timber and I decided if I was to continue to enjoy shooting other than paper targets,I had to find my own place and I HATE indoor ranges. After a year of land searches within my area I found a nice place that fit what my budget would allow.
Being retired now I really enjoy it and it's only a 30 minute drive from home in the city.
Takes a bit of work to keep it up and I always have a project going on down there.
Problem is when I'm there time flies fast and I don't want to leave!!

I bought property out in AZ years ago, and now that I'm retired I'll be heading out there in about a year. My avatar is a pic of the road they were cutting into my area in 2013. I cannot wait. I have 40 acres and there are 12,000 acres of State Trust Land abutting my backyard. Rabbits, Javalina, Elk are all around. And there are occasionally some mountain lions too! I don't hunt, but I will dispatch pests if they encroach. And, now that the shotgun bug has bitten, I may pick up a nice one to hunt birds - yummy!!!

My plan is to go out in a 5th wheel and take my time walking the property to see where I might want to build. Frankly, if living in the 5th wheel proves to be good enough, I might just stop there, unless some fool politician starts monkeying around with zoning laws. I've owned 7 houses in my lifetime, so I'm not motivated to build another one, if I don't have to. Maybe a cabin would be nice, as you suggested.

Eventually, I'll either end up in an old-age apartment or go out feet first. Living simply and without a lot of upkeep will allow me to do what I love - travel, hike and really take in the beauty of the Southwest and surrounding states. Although I've spent a lot of time in AZ over the years, I've never set foot in New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, etc. I'd need another lifetime to explore everything!

Good luck with your property. And keep that 20 ga warm; I'll do the same!

It's just off 191 about 25 miles north of St. Johns. It's off-grid, but that's what I wanted.

Yes it is! We used to go up to Pinetop and Greer two or three times a year. We even did some hiking in Alpine and Hannagan Meadow areas.

It’s definitely very quiet and remote.

— Cory

I can't wait! The quiet outdoors is where I need to be. When I want to be around humans, I'll go to the mall. lol...

Back