• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Replacement 5 round mag tube needed. Not a good nite

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
I think I screwed up fellas. When I was removing the mag tube the wrong way, by gripping it down by the receiver, I think pinched it. If I drop the follower in w/out the spring it won't go past where I was gripping the mag, w out a little force. If I install it with the spring in I can push the follower down but it won't comeback up w out me poking it w a cleaning rod at the end where it attaches to the barrel. This is factory follower, the mcarbo is worse.
So what are my options for a replacement 5 round tube? Man, crap evening. I knew I was too tired to be messing w stuff. Sucks.
Edit,
Think I found it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005532156/mossberg-magazine-tube-mossberg-500-a-12-gauge-matte

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty certain the 88's and the 500's share the same magazine tube.

You've got nothing to lose on a bent tube. Try hammering a socket down the tube with a broomstick. Start slow and small and then work up to the proper sized socket. You can tap it back out with a rod through the takedown screw hole. Don't hammer the socket directly or you'll damage it....and a miss will damage the tube.

On the other hand, those spare, too bad to refinish tubes make for some great fun in the shop! (Ummm, edited that part out.) If you don't have home made firearms in your genetic makeup, you can convert that tube to a really neato vampire stake thrower that would make Buffy proud! Slot the tube, make a Sliding bolt from hardwood and a steel stud, simple trigger.

Those steel tubes can also be used to make a pretty gosh-darned decent recoil absorber system. Takes a weight slug, couple of pieces of mag tube spring and an end cap of your making.

Mag tubes are cheap, though. Pick one up any chance you get. Having a mag tube in all the lengths means you can use barrels in all the diff lengths.

The new tube came. It arrived bent past the threads. I think I might have it straightened out enough to work though. Shells and the follower will now slide down to the end. The pic is prior to trying to straighten it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    874.1 KB · Views: 23
Bar, that tube looks mighty rough to be a new part. Did you say that came from Midway? Looks like three dings on that edge there. Must have been handled pretty ruggedly. Well, no biggy either way. As long as you got fixed up. All that counts. How's the gun working out for you now? Everything ok?

richard

Barhrobeman,

Never a good thing to start a project late at night. Especially after a few:confused:

If the new part arrived like that I'd send it back and get one that's undamaged.

How do you like your PX4 Storm?

Barhrobeman,

Never a good thing to start a project late at night. Especially after a few:confused:

If the new part arrived like that I'd send it back and get one that's undamaged.

How do you like your PX4 Storm?
I cleaned up the tube and it feeds well.
As for the Storm, I love it. It’s accurate, hardly any felt recoil, and it’ll shoot any ammo I’ve ran through it. Cheap ammo, high end stuff, never fails.

I cleaned up the tube and it feeds well.
As for the Storm, I love it. It’s accurate, hardly any felt recoil, and it’ll shoot any ammo I’ve ran through it. Cheap ammo, high end stuff, never fails.
Good stuff! I'm glad it worked out.

I like my storm as well (PX4 .45 ACP model). I'm always puzzled why it's not more popular???

Good stuff! I'm glad it worked out.

I like my storm as well (PX4 .45 ACP model). I'm always puzzled why it's not more popular???
My theory: The “old timers were upset when the mil went from .45 to 9mm, and of course the 9mm they got was a Bertta. Well they were cursing because it wasn’t a .45 anymore more so than the brand. But stories like, “that crap Bertta..,” from the oldsters gave Bertta a bad rep in the states and it’s been passed down through the generations. Which is cool with me because it helps keep prices down. But I’m willing to bet the “youngsters” are going by what Pops said and have never tried one.
I’m not an oldster, so I never served with a .45, but I’d serve with an M9. Other than being bulky there’s nothing wrong with it. No it’s not a .45, but I’ve never ever seen one fail. These weapons weren’t the best taken care of at all really. A lot of folks there never even held a gun prior to enlistment. I got out in ‘04 so they were old when I was using them.
That being said I don’t own a 9mm and I probably won’t, but If I ever had to go to hell and back I’m taking a Beretta. A Beretta handgun anyway, I don’t know anything about their long guns. But I’d never have wonder if it was gonna fire and reload. Heck, my .40 fired, ejected, and chambered another 3out of 5 times with a slide release spring missing. The times it didn’t I just had to hit the slide release button manually.
Just a theory.
How’s the .45? Have you ever fired a PX4 with a rotating barrel? It’s a rapid fire mans delight. Their .40 w the rotating barrel is easy shootng; strong enough for a man, ph balanced for a woman.
I added night sights and changed the hammer spring in mine. Made for a nice little package. Mines the compact by the way. The middle sized one in the lineup.
Beretta- Top shelf.
Glock- The Camaro of the gun world.
Both good.
As for the Mav 88, it works just fine too. It was unbearable for me prior to the limbsaver though. Dang that thing hit hard with the stock pad.

Last edited:
Barhrobeman,

The .45 PX4 with the rotating barrel is a great shooting pistol. Smooth and very light recoil for a .45. Like you I've replaced the hammer spring. I also added a steel guide rod. Looking to add night sights once I can save up some money.

All in all it's my favorite pistol. It's too big for my carry gun but it is my GTW pistol for sure.

Barhrobeman,

The .45 PX4 with the rotating barrel is a great shooting pistol. Smooth and very light recoil for a .45. Like you I've replaced the hammer spring. I also added a steel guide rod. Looking to add night sights once I can save up some money.

All in all it's my favorite pistol. It's too big for my carry gun but it is my GTW pistol for sure.
The .40 compact is easy enough to carry. I picked up a subcompact and it felt too small in my hands. The full size felt the best prob, but was a little bit to stick in my pants. That’s what she said.

Barhrobeman,

59AA4454-3C33-4846-A234-EE056D7A8791.jpeg

Attachments

• D02C3CF6-B91B-4F4A-B7FC-9E94CAA42DE7.jpeg
    D02C3CF6-B91B-4F4A-B7FC-9E94CAA42DE7.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 4
Back