• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 magcap detent and spring

ybrik

Last night, the magazine cap detent and spring of my 590A1 popped out. I still have the detent and spring with me.

Bought this A1 last year and Canadian warranty shop replaced the barrel as I had few issues (posted in this forums) for rusted chamber and canted front sight.

Now, I’m hesistant to get this small job fixed by them as I don’t like to ship it back to them and considering the waiting period is another concern.

I found this 870 staking tool from brownells, I’m not sure if this would work for me or someone has tried it?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...tools/870-detent-staking-punch-prod25277.aspx

I don't know if the Remington staking tool will work on the 590A1 barrel but I had the same problem with my new Shockwave. The spring and detent were not staked in place and I lost them. I had to call Mossberg ad they sent me a new set. Luckily I found the original set so now I have a spare set. I just used an auto center punch (spring loaded, just push to set the punch). I used a small "C" clamp to hold the detent and spring in place while I used the center punch to peen the edge of the hole over to hold the spring and detent in place. I positioned the "C" clamp so about 1/2 of the hole was visible to give me room to peen the edge. I did that two times and now the detent and spring stay in place in the barrel. It sounds like Mossberg had some barrels go out without the peening done on the detent and spring.

Mark, could you please post a pic when you get the chance. Would live to see it.

Mossberg told me this morning they have a machine that does the staking. Seems like this is a common issue.
With the Remy 870 punch I was thinking it would stake in 3-points while pushing the detent with a whack of a hammer.

Here you go. The photos show the tools I used, the "C" clamp in place with room for the center punch to peen the edge of the hole, and the finished job. It's all covered by the mag cap.

100_0374 (Small).JPG 100_0377 (Small).JPG 100_0375 (Small).JPG

Last night, the magazine cap detent and spring of my 590A1 popped out. I still have the detent and spring with me.

Bought this A1 last year and Canadian warranty shop replaced the barrel as I had few issues (posted in this forums) for rusted chamber and canted front sight.

Now, I’m hesistant to get this small job fixed by them as I don’t like to ship it back to them and considering the waiting period is another concern.

I found this 870 staking tool from brownells, I’m not sure if this would work for me or someone has tried it?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...tools/870-detent-staking-punch-prod25277.aspx

ybrik... Interested to know if you used the Remington staking tool or used MarkB1's method?

Chadie, I didn't do anything on it, I just left it that way since I can clean / oil that detent channel whenever I want to. I just have to be careful whenever I open the mag tube cap and not lose it though.
As for the 870 detent staking tool, I asked brownells of its dimension referencing the 590's detent and it could be used to stake it.

Chadie, I didn't do anything on it, I just left it that way since I can clean / oil that detent channel whenever I want to. I just have to be careful whenever I open the mag tube cap and not lose it though.
As for the 870 detent staking tool, I asked brownells of its dimension referencing the 590's detent and it could be used to stake it.

Good to know... Think I'll get one just to see how it turns out. Thank you

Let me know how it turns out. Only thing I see on this one is the detent hole on the barrel collar is quite close with the barrel, so hitting the punch with a hammer would need to be precise though.

Same exact thing happened to me a couple of days ago just by removing my barrel. this is the second time this has happened to me. this time however the detent ball is nowhere to be found. Called Mossberg and sent them the barrel to have THEM do it and possibly peen the hole to prevent this from keep happening. Shipped it via UPS at my cost of $30

I left mine unstaked. Being in Canada I just can’t send a barrel down there.
I’ll stake this some day, I saw a detent staking tool with like 2 or 3 prongs for Remington and I know it would work as well for mossbergs.

Back