• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Backwards blade front sight 590A1 w/ Ghost Ring

Sheriffjonbrown

Copper BB
I received my 590a1 with ghost ring sights. Everything looks in order except - the blade sight on the front is backwards!! Tried tapping it out with a punch but she's snug. Any ideas or anyone experience same poor quality control in this respect?

:):)
I received my 590a1 with ghost ring sights. Everything looks in order except - the blade sight on the front is backwards!! Tried tapping it out with a punch but she's snug. Any ideas or anyone experience same poor quality control in this respect?
Sheriff JB can you send a couple of pics of the front sight. One from the side and one looking down the bore. Please make sure the gun is unloaded and safe before looking down the bore:)

No set screw?
That is what I'm thinking Whitey. If it is the same set up as my 590 A1 Blackwater edition (XS sight system) there is a very small set screw that needs to be loosened before you can remove the front blade sight.

Jmm, Whitey,
Will send pic tomorrow (posting this from work) ....in the meantime - no set screw, blade is dovetailed into welded-on base of sight. I believe it is Mossberg stock ghost sight system (wings on either side of rear sight).....definitely not XS system.
Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct it's in backwards. Sometimes the dovetail is machined to go in only in one direction. Not sure if this is the case or not here. Try and remove from the right side first. A small wooden dowel and a good hammer work great. If it does not want to move from the right side try the left side.
If it still does not want to move you should send it back to Mossberg. This is a pain but they do stand behind their stuff. Maybe if you call them they will only get you to send the barrel.
Good luck!!

At least they mounted the base in the right direction.

I would contact OFM even if you can fix it yourself, they need to know what what's going on.

Wow...that's terrible. I purchased the parts to convert to the ghost ring sight and the front dovetail was terribly tight. I had to do some light filing to get it together. I would go to Mossberg with it. If you choose to fix it yourself support the base well so you aren't hammering against the silver solder.

thanks everyone for the replies. I have heard horror stories of guns/parts/barrels taking a very long time to be returned from Mossberg after being serviced. And I'm up here in the Great White North so I can just imagine the BS I am going to have to go through to send gun parts back and forth across the border. I may hold on to it until I swap it out for an Aimpro or something else. At least my sight is at the 12 o'clock.....someone received theirs with it soldered on at 11 o'clock!!! thanks for the tip JMM1534....I only tried from the left, will give er a whirl from the right.

My sight was loose with only the set screw holding it on! The replacement fit loose too. Yours should drift off. I let mine soak an hour or two with liquid wrench.when the set screw went in it kind off cocked the front dove tail up slightly and this made for a snug fit! Good luck with yours sir. I guess if all else fails and you dont want to send it back, remove the orange and paint the back white, that will probably work but still,no excuse that.

Just dealt with that issue on mine... Not the problem of the sight being backwards but upgrading the dovetail blade to a tritium bade that co-witnesses with my red dot.
Rules for dovetails I learned from DAD! (He was a cop)

1) Insert from the left and remove from the right. If you are going to try "tapping" it out... Do it from the right side, centered in the dove tail, down to the left.

2) Keep the barrel level on its' side with a piece of wood. Also a scrap of leather works wonders for protecting the finish if you need it.

3) A brass punch works better than a wood dowel, but a copper punch leaves less marks on the gun's finish than brass. I use copper... It is an old mig welding tip that I use and I have found that the copper leaves less metal residue on the finish of the gun than brass does. (Does anyone else know this trick?)

4) When you have your new blade fit perfectly (DO NOT DO THIS STEP UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE IT IS THE WAY YOU WANT IT!) use GREEN loc-tite. You can get this from an auto supply warehouse, not autozone.
The green will wick into the dovetail joint (two or three drops on the side of the joint after the dry fitting is perfect. It should wick in and weep out the other side.) and in 24hrs will be SOLID! It has the nick-name of liquid heili-arc.
Be sure to wipe up the excess that weeps out. If it dries on the finish, it will be there forever.

Things I learned from replacing my front sight...

Due to the QC from the factory... Make sure that you have the detent & spring on the top barrel ring clamped into place. When I was drifting my new front sight in, after fitting it, something bounced off my right hand. It was the barrel detent and spring that clicks when the magazine tube cap is tightened. A small cheap C clamp should do the trick, as long as it does not get in the way of keeping the barrel level when you are drifting the dovetail sight out or in.

If your front sight is ruined (either by the factory or removal) I have a spare orange one that I could send you if you need it. Good luck! Sounds like a good winter project.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the OP (SheriffJB) has "fixed" his sight by now. :) But I'll add a couple tips since the post as been resurrected.

Be sure to support the sight base properly or you could tear it from the barrel while trying to drift the sight out! :eek: I have made a triangular drift for the purpose of tapping sights mounted in dovetails.

A soldering gun may be able to put "pin point" heat next to the dove tail to help loosen the "adhesive" used from the factory. A heatgun may melt the paint off the sight. :eek:

I agree with the green Loctite for mounting sights. In a pinch, red could be used, just keep in mind that it will not really dry if exposed to the moisture in air. In using red Loctite for screws, etc. keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Any excess should be wiped off immediately because it will not help "lock" anything, just make a mess...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the OP (SheriffJB) has "fixed" his sight by now. :) But I'll add a couple tips since the post as been resurrected.

Be sure to support the sight base properly or you could tear it from the barrel while trying to drift the sight out! :eek: I have made a triangular drift for the purpose of tapping sights mounted in dovetails.

A soldering gun may be able to put "pin point" heat next to the dove tail to help loosen the "adhesive" used from the factory. A heatgun may melt the paint off the sight. :eek:

I agree with the green Loctite for mounting sights. In a pinch, red could be used, just keep in mind that it will not really dry if exposed to the moisture in air. In using red Loctite for screws, etc. keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Any excess should be wiped off immediately because it will not help "lock" anything, just make a mess...

Good to know about the red loctite! I just replaced the brass bead on the front sight post of my dad's .22... 1937(ish) Ranger 103-13 (rebranded Marlin 81)
I gently pulled out the old bead and stole the brass bead from a new Williams front sight. But I did use red loctite to put it in. I'll have to make sure it dries thoroughly

Back