• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Model 333 - assembly question

LarryL

Copper BB
Hi,
I'm helping a neighbor out with cleaning up a 1972 model 333 rifle. When disassembling it, a tiny spring and little end cap sort of piece popped out and I haven't been able to figure out where it goes. Anyone know anything about one of these that can help out?

If you don't get an answer here I would give Havlin a call,(636) 937-6401. They are the pros when it comes to older Mossbergs.

The Numrich schematic calls them the elevator spring and elevator spring follower. It seems there should be something under that elevator assembly to either hold it in position or align it somehow. Does the elevator work at all now? I have run into situations like that where it took three hands and a bible to hold everything in place until all the parts were locked in by the surrounding framework. Good Luck.

The Numrich schematic calls them the elevator spring and elevator spring follower. It seems there should be something under that elevator assembly to either hold it in position or align it somehow. Does the elevator work at all now? I have run into situations like that where it took three hands and a bible to hold everything in place until all the parts were locked in by the surrounding framework. Good Luck.

Now I'm not familiar with this type of rifle, so bear with me. As far as I can tell, everything looks like it's functioning, but I haven't put in the trigger assembly to find out what would happen. My biggest fear is the 3-handed situation. Here's a couple of pics that show the trigger assembly and where the diagram says it should go.
IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1227.JPG

If you don't get an answer here I would give Havlin a call,(636) 937-6401. They are the pros when it comes to older Mossbergs.

I have a copy of the owner's manual on the way. So with any luck, I can find what I need there. Still open to any ideas/suggestions just in case.

I just got the 'manual.' It's one page that has the parts list and diagram from above, along with some text. It includes the instructions for cleaning and disassembly. The first 2 lines of it anyway. And a page from a magazine that talks briefly on the history of the model.
So I'm at a dead end.

Can you see any shiny spots where that elevator follower may have been riding when it was in use? Any wear areas at all to indicate where the spring may have been sitting? Might be a clue as to where it should go.

Can you see any shiny spots where that elevator follower may have been riding when it was in use? Any wear areas at all to indicate where the spring may have been sitting? Might be a clue as to where it should go.

I've looked all over, including the safety. I don't see any place this could even go. No rubbed areas. I may try it out to see if it still works. Maybe it goes somewhere in the feed tube?

OK, so the cartridge goes into the receiver, but doesn't move it up into the barrel.

-----update ---
I found a part not seated correctly and fixed that. So now it loads, but not very smoothly.
Safety switch is loose but functional.

Last edited:
Figured it out!
These parts are actually #11 and 12. A bit tricky to get it in there, but the safety switch is working good now.
Thanks to everyone that pitched in.

Back