• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Troubleshooting

bolt action not feeding correctly

i just bought a new 4x4 in .270. when i cycle the bolt forward the bullet is misguided and goes left or right of the chamber causing the tip of the bullet to be damaged. others go in just fine but there is always one or two in a magazine that dont. does anyone know what causes this?

crzyfl said:
I have read in other places that a common failure mode for the 4x4 long action is the shell extraction system. I have a 4x4 in .270 my extractor claw broke (while firing a second shot at a 14 point stag). Anyone else have similar issues?

Also I have frequent misfires over a couple of different brands of ammunition. On dissasembling the bolt, everything seems fine. Is there a fix for this that does not require a gun smith? What would the gun smith do in this situation?
My gun fails to extract the casing. After I shoot the bolt is jammed. It won't pull back. I never got to take it to get checked out yet. I heard the 4x4 is discontinued

Re: bolt action not feeding correctly

Are you dealing with this issue?

not anymore! i finally got it figured out. i just was not seating the bullets right. when i loaded them the follower would be tilted or the bullets werent seated all the way back.

Great glad you got that all worked out!

Hi all! I have a new 4x4 in .338 win mag. I'm trying to remove the muzzle brake to install the supplied thread protector instead, but the thing will not budge. I've tried turning it counterclockwise, clockwise, and every which way in between. Penetrating oil, heat, nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what to tell you as far as getting it off as I've not tried to take mine off yet. My question to you is, why do you want to take it off?

I use an allen key through the holes on the muzzle brake and it came off very easy.

The problem i've been having with my 338 Win Mag is that when i'm shooting i'm all over the paper. If i shoot two rounds without adjusting the scope, the bullet holes are usually about 6 or more inches apart. I thought initially that it was the bullets i bought for reloading as i haven't yet found the right load data for the gun. What i did notice was that my floating barrel was touching one side of the forearm on the stock. I didn't think that synthetic stocks could warp but i guess i was wrong and it affects accuracy as it changes the harmonics of the barrel when you let off a round. I sanded it down and now it's not touching. Just need to get out there now and put some rounds through it.

I bought a 4x4 in .270WSM a couple of years ago and never shot it. Took it out today and had some issues. Checked zero at around 35 yards. First round, couldn't get the bolt retracted. Got it handle up, but wouldn't pull back, handle wouldn't even go down. Kept messing around and finally got it open. About 10 more rounds the same thing each time. Finally took the bolt out and lubed the heck out of it, and finally it started to not bind as tight. It seemed to be binding on the bottom rear of the action. Either the sear or where the face of the back of the bolt mates to the face of the rear of the receiver. My guns are usually more on the dry side so not sure whether this is "break-in" or just too much time in the safe. Bolt moved free (on empty chamber), locked tight, etc. Noticeably tight though when trigger pulled and firing pin forward, even on an empty chamber.

Once we go action working better, Tried to sight it in. More issues which I am blaming on scope issues. Rounds all over the place, at 30 yards or 100.

Here is something weird. I had two types of 150 grain rounds - Federals and Winchesters. At 35 yards they appeared to be tumbling and going through the target sideways. Will post pics. 140 gr and 130 gr, no problem.

Not blaming any of this on the gun, at this point. After sitting that long I should have disassembled and lubed the bolt. Am going to re-mount the scope and torque the rings and try again. Odd day at the range...

Here is a picture. This was at about 33 yards

DSCF0105.jpg

I would blame the stuff bolt on break-in. Also WSM rounds are more difficult to cycle to to their odd shape.

I would blame poor accuracy on the ammo, but I need more info. What scope do you have? What rings do you have, and just pictures of your mounted scope would help as well.

Mossberg has the rifle at their facility now. rj - the cases weren't sticking, the bolt was binding. This wasn't stiffness due to break-in, this was mechanical binding. 130 and 140 grain loads experienced poor accuracy. 150 grain loads were tumbling at 30 yards - the worst scope or mounting job in the world won't cause that.

I had a problem with mine last month, the screw holding the bolt stop sheared off in the receiver. I had no idea that the bolt stop wasn't up when I went to cycle a new round and I ended up hitting myself in the face. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the bolt stop. Mossberg sent me a new screw, bolt stop and spring so I can fix it (I live in Alaska so shipping it to TX for repairs would cost more than a local gunsmith). I'm thinking about having the broken screw drilled out and replaced with something tougher than the original. Any thoughts?

.308 extractor issue

I just got a new 4x4 in .038 with scope. It shoots great with the right ammo. I have a shot a less that 1" group (5 rounds all touching) using 37.0 g Varget pushing 150 Hornady BTFMJ. I really like the gun and want it to work. However, the extractor came out with my last round. When I called the factory they told me it probably failed because I was using reloads, not factory ammo. They condemmed reloads and snap caps as the reason for the failure. I find that hard to accept since my reloads are all on the light side. The issue seemd to begin to develope when using Federal reloads. It is not as prevelent when I am using Winchester brass, so I don't use the Federal anymore. They are sending me the parts, and it looks like an easy fix. Looking though some other posts, the extractor issue is not uncommon. Is this going to be a one time fix, or should I keep a supply of repair parts on hand? Anyother suggestions would be appreciated by this rookie Mossberg owner. (I do also have an 817, but that is a completely different animal.) Thanks

Re: .308 extractor issue

Well, we chalk that up to complete BS. You are well below the starting charge that Hodgdon calls out in there load specs for a 150 grain FMJBT.

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
150 GR. NOS BT Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.800" 44.0 2788 43,300 CUP 47.0C 2937 50,300 CUP
150 GR. NOS E-TIP Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.800" 42.3 2670 46,700 PSI 46.5C 2914 60,400 PSI

I have a 308 4X4 on order should be here Monday. All I shoot is hand loads in my all my rifles and pistols due to better accuracy and consistency. My loads I have planned will be using Varget and also CFE223. Hornady GMX and Interbond bullets in the same 150 grain are my bullets of choice. I do not believe you hand loads were the cause of the failure.

I don't know how hand loads could cause an extractor issue. That make little sense to me. Any way you slice it I'm shooting hand loads with my .338 out of Remington brass, no issues yet.

Well, Mossberg (aka Maverick Arms) sent the new extractor and it only took a week. Pretty good service! It looks like a simple install so I'm back in the game an anxious to see what this rifle will do.

I'm still trying to figure out why the extractor broke on my .308 4 x 4. Since I was new with this caliber, I bought the cheapest unfired Win brass I could find. About 5 out of every 50 cases has a problem being inserted to my Lee Auto Prime shellholder. I have force a few and reloaded them and they have gone through the rifle. I was getting an occasional jam were I would have to literally hit the bolt with my open hand to either close or open the bolt. My questions is, could have one of those out of spec cases caused the extrator to break or simply dislodge and disapear. Mossberg did send me a couple of replacments so I'm good to go. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get out again, but I will be more in tune to what is going and take notes where needed.

I have model 27572. 30 06 black synthetic stock with marinecoat barrel.

I posted some info about the magazine housing that was broken when I received the rifle. Mossberg is sending a replacement part called the magazine guide.

Here is the question. I noticed when assembling the barrel to the stock that it does not seat firmly in the stock. It actually rocks about 1/8 inch front to back at a point near the forward edge of the magazine. Once the two mounting screws are set, it obviously does not rock anymore. But, not sure if this is causing a stress point on the stock that may have something to do with why that guide broke in the first place.

Can anyone confirm if the barrel, when placed in the stock and not screwed down tight, rocks front to back at all? OR can you get it to seat-in firmly without any play at all?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Back