• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone ever knock out a tooth with the SW

pepi

.270 WIN
I've got fake teeth in the front and after ordering a SW I'm wondering if I may have made a mistake? I assume it's all in the holding but this video looks like he was holding it like I've seen other shooter in other videos?

I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard to sell or trade.

It also helps to not use the hottest shells known to man too. I'm not certain what shells he was shooting out of it, but they looked pretty stout.

A lot of people use "managed recoil" or "low brass" or "handicap" loads in the shockwaves specifically because the gun can be a handful.

Everyone is different.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this certainly doesn't look like a Shockwave. If you look at the video frame by frame it "appears" to be a pistol grip shotgun. Hard to tell the barrel length but doesn't look like 14 inches.

For those of you who have shot both pistol grip shotguns and Shockwaves I think we can all agree there is a world of difference. Managing recoil using a pistol grip shotgun is a whole different animal and a wrist breaker.

Regards

Pepi, I fully agree with Elbert on working your way up on different loads. I'm on the far side of 70 and shoot everything up to and including Brenneke 3 inch black magic magnum 600 gr slugs from my SW. There is no issue with "aimed" shots once you get comfortable with the firearm. But suggest you also practice "hip" shots. Most people have an initial tendency to shoot high but with practice you will have no problem hitting your intended target using this technique. Practice, practice, practice!

My only recommendation is to wrap the SW grip with either tennis racket or hockey stick grip tape which you can get at any sporting goods store. It really makes a difference plus if needed you can add a couple of additional layers in the field. Particularly good if you live in wet or humid climates.

Welcome to the SW asylum.

Regards

Correct me if I'm wrong but this certainly doesn't look like a Shockwave. If you look at the video frame by frame it "appears" to be a pistol grip shotgun. Hard to tell the barrel length but doesn't look like 14 inches.

For those of you who have shot both pistol grip shotguns and Shockwaves I think we can all agree there is a world of difference. Managing recoil using a pistol grip shotgun is a whole different animal and a wrist breaker.

Regards
You are correct ... My bad. That is a 500 with a pistol grip and I know they can be a beatch to handle.

The grip make the gun more shootable then the pistol grip. I'm waiting for Remington to release the tac14 with wood in 20ga

I don't like shooting the 3" mag 00 buck loads. I think if you were new to the SW and put that close to your face, it could bust a mouth full of teeth out. But all the other loads I've shot have been manageable. You get a feel for how much it's going to come back, and it helped me to put some grip tape on the pistol grip. Even normal slugs weren't that bad. Start off with it away from your face with low power loads like the cheep clay busting loads; then if you want to try a new load again start out keeping it away from your face and get a feel for what it's going to do.

I'm actually surprised more people haven't done it. I love the new crimson Trace saddle thing. That way you can shoot from the hip and have some idea where it's going.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Pretty sure mossberg specifically says to never shoot the Shockwave aiming down the sites (i.e. it should never be near your face to begin with)

Or am I wrong?
No you are correct and like Josh said the CT saddle is wonderful. Never been a fan of lasers but this was a good investment for the SW

Pretty sure mossberg specifically says to never shoot the Shockwave aiming down the sites (i.e. it should never be near your face to begin with)

Or am I wrong?

Do the push / pull and use reasonable shot loads and you shouldn`t take a hit to face! When I had mine I looked over the top and fired full load of 00 buckshot and never had a problem.....

A couple of things I did:
1) Reverse the strap attachment so that circumference is reduced and the strap ends are not facing my fingers. If you look closely at the video Mr. Garrett did the same on his.
2) Add Grip tape on the bird's head grip. Wrap it so you add an extra thickness at the interface of the grip and the receiver rear.
3) OPSol miniclip and Aguila Mini-shells.

I missed out on this one & while I have never knock out a tooth with the pistol grip Mossberg, I did one time punch myself in the nose slightly.

I found out with the big flashlight type and if I was using that it was hard to hold on to the gun has it got lighter and lighter.

I should put a strap on the forearm.

But I just shoot this thing at the range and I can't imagine rackin' off 5 rounds from this thing at home in the night.

Back