• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey load, choke, and gun combination

Sounds like you've got it well under control.

I hope you get one this weekend.

The only tips I can offer is try to get as comfortable as you can, keep your gun propped up on your knee so it will be at the ready with minimal movement, and be as still and quiet as you can.

I'm not sure how you hunt whether in a blind or not (I usually just sit behind a fallen tree), but if you're on the ground with a lot of leaves around you, try to rake all the leaves away with your feet from the area you're sitting at and have it down to bare dirt. This keeps sound to a minimum when you start squirming because your leg fell asleep ;)

When I go in a couple weeks, gonna bring along the camo burlap I bought last year along with some light rope and large tent pegs along with whatever deadfall is around. Should be able to throw together a decent blind once we locate a good spot to sit.

Dunno if any of you have used this stuff but seemed a good idea to me and reasonable price....considering I have no idea where to get burlap anymore and I can customize it with spray paint if I feel like it.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/102658

I do use that same burlap. It works really good.

If you're going into an area blind, try to scout the day before, use a few blasts with a crow or owl call and see if you can get them to respond to give you an idea where would be a good place to set up in.

I do use that same burlap. It works really good.

If you're going into an area blind, try to scout the day before, use a few blasts with a crow or owl call and see if you can get them to respond to give you an idea where would be a good place to set up in.
We won’t have the opportunity to scout ahead unfortunately, that is unless I can kick my partners butt into going up early. He lives about an hour from where we’ll be hunting.

Have you used decoys? And if so what seems to work for you?

I have had very mixed results using decoys.

I did not kill a bird using decoys this year. This year I set up in a location where the birds had to be within range before we could see each other.

I have used them a majority of the time for many years but last season soured me and I think the birds shyed away from them.

They are definitely worth keeping in the bag of tricks but like most other things when they work they work and when they dont they dont. If the turkeys see you come in, set them up and call then its over before it begins.

The most important thing I have learned is to make sure the birds do not see you enter or leave the area. That means getting in while they are still asleep and staying late if they come in and roost within sight of you in the evening. Scouting is essential.

Don't think of time spent scouting as wasted hunting time, many people do. it exponentially increases the odds on the day you set up and hunt.

I have never used decoys. I have a few different calls, but I've never used a decoy.

With that said, my son bought 2 decoys from a yard sale recently for .25 cents each. One is a plastic primos and the other is more like a thick foam and has some paint on it that is peeling, kind of like it has a couple loose feathers on the tail end that would blow in the wind. I'm not sure if it was made like that or someone did it after the fact, but since it's foam, if I were to use an old arrow and stick in the ground, I have no doubt that any little breeze would make it turn and move which I thought was a pretty good idea actually.

I'm only getting photos of a single large hen on my cameras lately, so I will not be turkey hunting this year at all. But I am planning on doing some coyote/predator hunting and trapping. That would be more beneficial to me than turkey hunting right now. I gotta get rid of some varmints before they get rid of everything I've worked so hard to get into the area.

I'm with mike, going in blind usually doesn't work out too well.

Find an area where you're getting answers to your locator calls (owl, crow, etc), and then get permission to hunt there if owned by someone, then sneak in and out and set up your blind, scrape all the leaves away from where you're setting )and on both sides of your burlap blind in case they come in a different direction than you expect) so as mike has mentioned, you sneak in to your blind before daylight and get set up and wait until daybreak and start calling.

Well I'd say my preparation and homework paid off for a successful hunt bagging my first turkey! He had a double beard one 8" and the other 10" 1 1/8" spurs!
b6215d0e840c86058504dc0e210d0575.jpg
7bab1a4d2e98ee8624cf7cd93c97cfcc.jpg
3f4f4c9f66a5e6e867fdb4fe9099b6c5.jpg

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

Congratulations. Looks like your hard work paid off. I'm very happy for you.

I hunted for years and spent more hours than I care to admit before I was able to bag my first turkey.

Congratulations. Looks like your hard work paid off. I'm very happy for you.

I hunted for years and spent more hours than I care to admit before I was able to bag my first turkey.
Thanks. I had it easy tho my uncle in law did all the calling. He was more excited then I was!

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

The breasts are my favorite part. Legs are always tough and chewy. I always give it to the dogs. Not much enough on the wings to fool with either.

But once you get it skinned and fileted, is pretty good. I tend to soak it overnight in buttermilk and slathered in French onion dip and then slow baked.

Congrats!! I tried on and for probably 15 years before I bagged my first tom. Its amazing how hard it can be to outsmart a bird with the brain the size of a pea.

Yeah, my very first experience turkey hunting was downright comical enough for the history books.

I promise, it is a lot harder than it looks to stalk up on a brood of turkeys.

And I almost got one too.

Almost being the key word in that sentence.

Back