• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Not a mossberg lever action...

590guy

.270 WIN
Hey all, does anyone have experience with Marlin lever actions, good, bad or otherwise? I like the 1895 which is .45-70 govt, and will most likely get one. With that, anyone have experience with that size caliber?

I know I've seen mention of those on here before. I personally do not have experience with it. It's been around for 100 and some odd years, upwards of 130 to 150. I know of trials with it after the civil war. Check out the sandy hook trials with the .45-70.

I know of a guy who deer hunts with a .45-70 single shot and it's used in guide guns. That's all I know. Happy to help! :)

I hunt with a 1895ss stainless, I shoot 300gr federal s. Can clover leaf at100 yds, it's an awesome combo,great deer gun.
You won't be disappointed, just make sure you get one that is stamped New haven CT, but just one person's opinion

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

Not a problem for me, but luckily recoil never bothered me, could shoot a box at the range in one sitting, ya sore afterwards but nothing major

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

I've been looking at that same gun. Do WANT badly.

I like the stainless model mentioned above by Darren. It retails here for almost a G note.

Been drooling over it for awhile now.

But my last hunting trip had my partner and I keeping a close watch for Grizzlies. Made me wish I had those 6rds of 45-70 in my hands. My partner carries either a 30.06 or the 44 mag Chiappa shorty lever. I usually carry my 270 or 12ga loaded with a combo of 00 buck and slugs depending on which one he's got.

Found the largest pile of relatively fresh, grizz crap we've ever seen, right next to where we were about to camp for the night....we moved. LOL. Rattled me a bit, didn't even have the presence of mind to snap a pic. But if the 2.5 to 3 in diameter of the pieces of scat are any indication of the size of that bear...damn.

I've been eyeballing the SS model as well, and retails for about the same here in NY, and will most likely get that one.

It's a sternum shaker. Buddy has one. Would recommend trying to buy used real Marlin. Marlin has a bad reputation since being bought by Remington. The Remlins are a just a shadow of the great Marlin levers of old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

With respect to the current free trade practices, lots of things do not seem to be labeled the same way as before NAFTA etc..

Many things are labeled with only the location of the distributor rather than the country of origin.

So in view of this, does the address stamped on the barrel really mean what it used to? Can an Asian-sourced gun be labeled "New Haven CT"?

It's a sternum shaker. Buddy has one. Would recommend trying to buy used real Marlin. Marlin has a bad reputation since being bought by Remington. The Remlins are a just a shadow of the great Marlin levers of old.

I've seen that a lot of folks don't care for the "Remlins" as they've been dubbed, but can anyone tell me why? What is different since the change? I'm sure that some things are cheaper given the fact that the 336W dropped about $40 in price down at the the Walmart. They used to be $386, and now they're $345 (hey, someone has to keep track of these things... ;) )

Anyways, does anyone have anything solid? Fit & Finish? Cheaper barrel that will wear faster? Something bent this way or that?
Scientific techie mind(s) want to know. :)

Doesn't really matter to me that much, since I wound up with my new'ish 464, and it took me a couple of years to save up enough for that and a scope. I don't see getting a Marlin anytime soon. I am restarting my Gun Jar fund though in case something wanders by. You see, two years ago, the lady at the Walmart clearanced a 45-70 Marlin at half price. That's half WALMART's price for a brand-new gun! Couldn't convince the wife to splurge though. I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen to me again. :D

The recoil isn't bad in rifles with shotgun type butts but I have a 1886 Winchester with cressent steel butt plate and it will beat ya up some.

Yep, I have the Winchester 1886 light weight, shotgun buttstock and a full power load [for the 86] will have you flinching after a few rounds.
I load 350 gr. cast with Unique at about 1000 ft/sec...can shoot it all day

Back