• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Blackwater 590A1 - Finding a front site that works

Sight performance update shooting 00 buck.

Had a chance to get to the range this week. I wanted to see how the new sight system worked with 00 buckshot. Federal 2.75" 9 pellet 00 buck.

Below is a pictures of how the shot hit at 10 and 20 yards from a standing position. Not bad. I think that this new sight system will do nicely. I can't see any need to go out further with the buckshot. That's what slugs are for!

image.jpeg

Gotcha. That looks good for HD.

If you ever get a chance, try the vitalshok with FliteControl. Though at 10 yards it's just a big single hole. It shines at slightly longer distances if ever you had a need for a long shot.

Thanks for the tip Rossignol. I'll give the vitalshok a try. It's always good to have options. I'm due for a shopping trip to the ammo store so I'll pick up a box of 5 and give them a try.
What I want is a sight system to preform on a wide variety of shells.
I'll try some bird shot at 40 yards as well. Maybe even a turkey load.

No problem, I hope some of my suggestions actually help! :)

On the longer shots with that particular barrel, I'd still highly recommend any of the FliteControl stuff. Even for turkey loads. The Hornady VersaTite just isn't the same. Federal Premium makes a couple different turkey loads. The 3rd Degree stuff is expensive but the regular turkey load with FliteControl is more reasonable.

Bottom line for my application is slug and buckshot accurate hits at less than 25 yards. I'm not hunting turkeys. I'm protecting my home.

It's all about quick target aquisition and firepower!!!

This shot gun delivers.

Jmm, I've noticed something and I'm wondering if it's something mossberg changed.

I have a 51771, which is the same thing as the blackhawk version just not branded, and even comparing to the picture on their website, my front sight is different.

I have no zeroing issues. My issue was just that the rear aperture was so large, accurately shooting with it was difficult.

Picture attached is my front sight as it came from the factory._20170225_234051.JPG

PRASKO,
Your front sight is the same as mine. I changed out the original blade with a smaller one I bought from XS to get better results. The ramp is not easily changed. Truth be told I would have been happy with a simple bead. I've attached some pics FYI. I'm OK with the size of the GRS. It gives a good spot to use to acquire the target and then move the front end of the barrel to get the front sight lined up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Quick update on my efforts to find a front sight for my BlackWater 590A1.

I had the shotgun out a couple on months ago at the sporting clays course to break in the action a little. After about 75 or so clays the XS front sight blade sight came lose and flew off. I couldn't find it in the snow and wet grass. Goodbye $40:(

Called up XS and they had a tritium standard dot front sight that was the same height as the blade sight I'd just lost. It was about $80 but I thought what the heck it will give me a good low/no light option. This time I used locktite to secure it in place. It certainly does the job in low/no light. Very nice on this front but does it shoot???

I was at the range I wanted to see if the 590A1 with the dot was as good at 25 yards as the front blade sight was. I spent considerable time a year ago getting the front blade sight on at 25 yards.

Below are the results using the same slugs and even the same target. This time I was at about 27 yards.

Pretty happy with it. My shoulder is sore though. Shooting prone with a 12 gauge slugs is not the best idea. The front dot covers the blaze target at 27 yards so its not as precise maybe as the blade. My take is that if you cover the target with the dot (like any red dot sight) you'll hit what you are aiming for. I think this is acceptable for a combat/HD shotgun.

upload_2018-5-18_20-23-30.png

Last edited:
Back