• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Everybody Get Black!

Bathrobeman

.270 WIN
I have a work in progress here. I painted the receiver matte black.

Attachments

• 1EC69B80-CD27-43B4-A99B-825F68CD7B7D.jpeg
    1EC69B80-CD27-43B4-A99B-825F68CD7B7D.jpeg
    612.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DCF5172F-3F4C-485A-B7BB-A13ED789BE50.jpeg
    DCF5172F-3F4C-485A-B7BB-A13ED789BE50.jpeg
    952 KB · Views: 34
  • 43DEF80C-D745-481A-8E5B-B5127FBAA1E5.jpeg
    43DEF80C-D745-481A-8E5B-B5127FBAA1E5.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 30
Looks good but a lot of solvents may eat or soften the paint...
I know it.. I’ve been researching for some way to “seal” it: I’ve found matte selants and cleaners but the I kind of doubt they’d hold up to CLP’s and the likes. Maybe I can get away with cleaning it with the matte cleaner (the painted part of course) and do my best not to get the gun oil on it.
What about a clear coat? CLP would probably eat that too huh?

Just wondering.......why paint it flat black?
Well... I was I was attempting to touch up a few scratches with some gun blue and I made it worse. I was like well, I have some flat black “cammo” on hand.. Plus I was bored and wanted a project.
Here’s the finished product. A couple coats of flat black, I handful of coats of matte clear, and a couple light coats of Renaissance wax. There’s a couple of spots where I got a little heavy with the clear, but I’ll call it good enough for government work.
I’m going to shoot it tommrow and see if it all peels off or not. D83BA0D7-0ECC-4F9A-A013-23287CF91831.jpeg

Got it!
I did the same thing with an old used and abused stock. Hammertone on beat up wood made it look much better.
Cheers

I fried about 10 shells through it and all went well. The receiver never really did get hot, just the barrel. So I don’t think I’ll have any issues with flaking.
My only concerns now are, how do I clean this sucker? Really though I think it’ll be alright if I’m careful.

I cleaned the ole gal with Hornady One Shot clp this evening. It’s supposed to be a pretty decent rust inhibitor, so I took a gamble and sprayed a coat on the painted receiver. Well it wasn’t that big of a gamble. Some had leaked out from the inside of the receiver out to the kit when I was cleaning it. I was quick to wipe it off and there wasn’t any paint on my rag.
Anyway so I sprayed a coat onto the painted receiver and I let it evaporated off. There are no I’ll effects at this time. It might even be a little shinier.

Attachments

• 4E742739-5E39-4B02-BF61-37C63E3DB774.jpeg
    4E742739-5E39-4B02-BF61-37C63E3DB774.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 7
Glad it's holding up good for you.

I'm a huge fan of Norrells Moly socom black.

moly.PNG

The only thing that I think is better than moly is Parkerizing itself. And if you put moly over Parkerizing, is about as good as it's going to get. I put moly on my cans. They hold up to heat better than everything else. More resistant to chemicals and scratches too.

As for spray on-bake on firearm finishes, norrells moly is king.

Here is a project with moly over park.

moly 017.JPG

moly 023.JPG

I did 2 500's, a 12 and a 20 with Krylon in a sponge paint camo about 5 years ago. I am talking the entire gun on both of them!
They have both seen thousands of rounds and at least a few cleanings ;) with no deterioration of the paint job!

If it ever does start to come off, a little more paint is a easy enough fix.

I did 2 500's, a 12 and a 20 with Krylon in a sponge paint camo about 5 years ago. I am talking the entire gun on both of them!
They have both seen thousands of rounds and at least a few cleanings ;) with no deterioration of the paint job!

If it ever does start to come off, a little more paint is a easy enough fix.
Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! Good deal.

Last edited:
The only thing that I think is better than moly is Parkerizing itself. And if you put moly over Parkerizing, is about as good as it's going to get. I put moly on my cans. They hold up to heat better than everything else. More resistant to chemicals and scratches too.

As for spray on-bake on firearm finishes, norrells moly is king.

Here is a project with moly over park.

View attachment 18382

View attachment 18383
Pretty nice man.

Back