• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good evening guys.

I can't believe this, because (ignoring one pesky possum) it has been 6 months since I last went to the Rifle Club. (edit... I mean to say it has been six months since I pulled a trigger on anything except one opossum.)

But today I am going to write a range report!

Last edited:
Good morning MOers. Clear skies and 69 this morning. We got a little rain late yesterday afternoon. Not enough, but better than nothing. Now it looks like at least 10 days in a row of 90s, maybe even 100 a day or two next week.

Cadd, hope you were able to get to the range yesterday. I'm surprised the withdrawal symptoms didn't get the better of you sooner.

Mornin fellas. Having an interesting week so far. My truck wouldn't start on Sunday, after I had already driven to the dump. I hate getting stranded like that in public. Everyone just looks at you weird. Like I don't take care of my truck. Screw you douchebags. Not one of them tards asked me if i needed a jump. Anyhow, I asked and got a dude next to me to jump start it. I have cables.
So on Monday I got a new alternator and starter. Both were fairly new, the alt went in smoothly, but the starter, man, I just want to smack who ever decided to put it where it is.
Lets just make stupid ideas happen and screw the guy who is going to working on it.....
Well that's done....annnnd, it still didn't start. So I returned the old battery and got a new one. The guy tested it and said it had a full charge. I said, I know, but it's not cranking over in my truck, so I'd like a replacement, it's a year old on a 2 year warranty....after talking with two other guys working, he finally gave me a new one. Went home and put it in...
Bam....started right up....
Doh....

And now I'm looking into portable power packs, like the jump n carry.
You guys heard anything about em? Have one?

@ripjack13
I bought one for each of my daughter's last year but so far I haven't heard any reports.

Most of these problems nowadays are due to connections (external and internal) to the battery.

The lead connectors from cell to cell in the battery are minimal to save weight, and sometimes they wind up a little undersized and irregular due to the variations in the casting process.

This causes a crack that will pass enough juice to start the car for a while but eventually the crack corrodes transferring less and less voltage over time.

It will still pass enough current to recharge the battery slowly and so it takes a long time for the battery to actually go dead.

But all you need is temperature or vibration to cause that crack to open up a little bit and instantly your battery is gone.

The other thing of course is cables and cable connections, and this is where virtually every mechanic fails by the book. Even the oldest Automotive manual I have in my collection tells me that the first step in any tuneup or maintenance routine is to clean the battery terminals and check the cables and the battery.

In other words even if you think a car has a bad spark plug you do this first, because if it is off a little bit it makes everything else harder to diagnose, and it makes every other weak link that's in the system more of a problem.

By the way good afternoon you guys and yes I had a fabulous time shooting yesterday but today my jacked up wrist is a little bit sore.

Also my knees a little bit.

I'm a flatlander but I was hooking up and down those Hills quite a bit yesterday. It catches up with me the next day.

@ripjack13 > And now I'm looking into portable power packs, like the jump n carry.
You guys heard anything about em? Have one?

I bought 2 of the below from Amazon. One I sent to my grandson for Christmas. Next week I got one for my van. $40 each. Neither of us have had to use one to start a car or truck. It has chargers for phones, 3 mode emergency light.

1b4f7857ce03b4be5862bd8f1cd3bd23d0bdc452.jpg

TESSAN
Car Battery Jump Starter 400A Portalbe 8000mAh Jumper Pack - Up to 4.0L Gas or 2.5 Diesel Engine - Power Bank with LED Flashlight - for Automotive Truck Motorcycle Boat

The last time I rode my motorcycle I came to the conclusion it was time for a new battery and I'm possibly going to do a Lithium-Ion conversion or something else besides the stock Nomad battery.

What I don't know is if the Nomad voltage Regulators will be okay with a lithium ion battery or if I will need some special intermediary circuits.

The Nomad was intended to be a cop bike and it has two alternators and two voltage Regulators on it and a battery bigger than any bike I've ever owned.

I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a bigger one yet in there.

Well, the wife went and bought a jump n carry 660. It was a fathers day present, but early. :)
Of course after she bought it, the price dropped. $127 to $115....oh well.

My neighbor has one he uses to start his tractors. So this certainly should start my lil ranger....

Link to amazon page

Last edited:
Good morning all. 69 and partly cloudy this morning. The radar shows an area of rain about 50 miles west headed our way. I hope it holds together . We could use a good rain.

We'll be heading to the lake for the weekend later this afternoon. It is usually very crowded the holiday weekends. I'm taking a couple of lever guns with me and hopefully will get a chance to shoot them.

I hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend. Stay safe and vigilant.

Good morning folks. The weather here has been cool and slightly overcast and unseasonably nice.

I've been taking care of the house and helping Judy since she broke her knee cap. She is supposed to have surgery on Tuesday to put it back together.

I collected a lot of brass when I was out at the range and there is lots of reloading I can do if I get bored.

Have a nice day folks.

Good morning . We have been at Grand Lake since Friday afternoon. The weather has been perfect. Light wind, clear skies, and temps right around 90. Looks like more of the same today and tomorrow.

We were invited out yesterday for a ride on a friends' boat. We were out for 3 hours for a nice ride.

I am going to do some shooting this morning. After that I have no other plans.

Have a great day and stay safe.

MeanStreak I wish I had the time to get out on the lake cuz it's beautiful here but there's no way I can put Judy in a boat with a broken knee cap.

I think I told you guys she was having surgery after she fell and broke her knee cap walking the dog.

Anyhow surgery is Tuesday. And she's pretty much laid up at home while I enjoy myself playing with the firearms & tropical fish, my tool bench Etc.

I have some pregnant betta fish and I've been trying to breed them, but without success.

We had a nice overcast morning with a gentle rain Friday so I threw new seed out on the front lawn. Time to go hit the sprinklers!

Have a lovely Sunday you guys.

Good morning fellas. Happy memorial day. I salute the fallen that have given their all so we can enjoy the freedom and liberty we are so fortunate to have.

Another beautiful day shaping up here. We have clear skies again and are expecting a high temp in the low 90s.

Yesterday I was able to destroy some bottles and other assorted makeshift targets. I took 3 levers , a .22, 30-30, and a 45-70, plus a .22 bolt. Now I have four to clean this wee. LOL, a small price to pay for the enjoyment I had.

Ya'll have a great day and be safe.

@meanstreak
That 45-70 must be a real Thumper Meanie.

I don't have many plans for today folks. I was going to take Judy out to the cemetery but she's not going to be able to walk around with her broken knee, and frankly my knee is not feeling very good.

I took a fall the other day after tripping on the dog's ball. My knee is still kind of jacked up and I don't feel much like walking around today either.

I will probably still go and take some flowers though.

I added some Indian almond leaves to the water with my betta fish and they love it. Mr. Spooky built a huge bubble nest then he and and Carmen were seriously engaged for hours.

Unfortunately she was not quite ready to drop her eggs. I took her out and gave her a night off, but this morning she looked extremely gravid and I replaced her in the tank with Spooky.

Spooky is building his bubble nest larger and they have not yet resumed mating.

Mornin fellas. It's slightly overcast right now, and a cool 59°
It's looking to be a good day today. It's my wife and I 13th aniversary! My favorite number!
I hope your weekend went well, and for those of you that have to go back to work today, have a good day.

Rip and Mrs. Rip
images

I hope 13 works as well for you as it has for me.

13 was my uniform number and 13 has had lucky connotations for me throughout the years. Even on Friday.

Back