• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590A1s w/ Chokes... Stupid?

Gang if you look on Mossberg's website the new 7-shot 590A1s come threaded for chokes, with a cylinder bore Accu-Choke installed from the factory. Unknown if any others are included with new guns.

What are your thoughts on this? Seems kind of pointless on a short barreled tactical shotgun... many defensive loads like Federal Flite-Control Tactical buckshot work best from a cylinder bore. Also I've had chokes loosen up on me in the past and for a fighting gun it's just one more thing to go wrong. In my experience pretty much every choke loosens eventually, and if it falls out, the threads can be destroyed by shooting additional rounds.

Not sure why Mossberg did this. To me, chokes are for hunting. I think they shoehorned a largely useless and potentially problematic device into this line of defensive shotguns just to add more "features" to their product page. Maybe if someone decides to take their defense gun dove hunting or something?? Just a head scratcher, and it's keeping me from picking one up.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
While not as common as I would like, having interchangeable chokes on an 18 inch barrel is a good thing.

This does let you use the shorter barrels to hunt with.

After hunting for most of my life, I have realized that there is really no reason to use a barrel longer than 18 inches for anything.

The only reason where a longer barrel is advantageous, is when loading the shells with black powder because the pressure curve continues to build with it unlike how smokeless does.

Seriously, that's it.

Longer barrels only add weight, bulk and harder to move around in the brush and thickets that are all around my home.

Modern smokeless powders reach their average velocity rather quickly going down the tube.

You gain very little to nothing by using a longer barrel. If I can have just one barrel and do everything I ever need with it, the better.

While somewhat on topic, Remington also has an 18 inch threaded barrel on their website. https://www.remington.com/shop/870-Barrel-12-Gauge,-18-5",-Bead-Sight,-Rem-Choke,-Matte/p/F402125

18" Mossberg 500 threaded barrel
cLvzKV8.jpg

20 inch Rem 870 threaded barrel
jaNuoS6.jpg

20" Emporer arms MX5 semi-threaded barrel
rC7wX3X.jpg

edit: I've never had a choke fall out of a barrel.

If they're properly installed, I've never had one loosen either. Matter of fact, I always use anti-seize to make sure they can be taken back out with the wrench. I've heard more people having problems removing stuck chokes than the other way around.

And there are better alternatives for something tighter than an open cylinder choke that works for 00, 000, #4 and slugs too.

Especially at extended distances.

Not all defensive situations are going to be point blank range within the same room.

Hi Dirks.

While I think John makes valid points for hunting with shorter barrels, and he is pretty experienced, I see your point on a 7+1 18" shotgun. It's designed for one thing, and that ain't hunting. For me that would be a fixed Cylinder or IC choke and some slugs or buckshot when we are talking 7+1 shotguns.

I also agree with John that I have never had a screw in choke tube work loose let alone fall out. And as John would probably agree, there are some TERRIFIC turkey guns with pretty short barrels. But they are not 7+1 capable.

Yes, I agree on all points nitesite.

Most states expressly forbid using more than 2+1 for shotgun hunting for anything. Mine included. I have to use a shell limiter even for hunting squirrels. [rolleyes]

It's about as easy to put a mag limiter in the tube as it is to change a choke.

And about as easy to just change an entire barrel for that matter.

But just having a short gun that handles well and is light and maneuverable and is just as suited beside my bed as it is putting food on the table is still a win. I guess that's probably the point I was trying to get across in my earlier long winded post.

For some reason, I keep thinking about Lord of the rings. One ring to rule them all. But in this case, one shotgun to do whatever you need it to do.

If I had to choose just one gun for now on and it was a choice between an 18 inch with a threaded barrel or one with a 30 inch and a threaded barrel, guess which one I would pick.

That's were Mossy's Flex package makes great sense. Long choked barrel for birds and a short unchoked barrel for other stuff including home defense. Most people don't need the 590 or 590A1.

The ability to fine tune a load is worth it. Not every gun shoots every load the same.

Some chonk tubes have porting, some have breacher teeth, etc.

I have no problem with features that give the users more options. My guns are miltitaskers and I see this as a long overdue feature.

I have threaded most of my short barrels for choke tubes.

I would say the ability to install a "breacher" choke is a good thing! Or a tight turkey choke if that is what you are hunting...

I bought my 835 for the option of using chokes. I had two 20” Mossberg guns prior. I found a 20” 835 and bought it.

I like the choke tube option. Never had one come lose and I only hand tighten and use gun grease.

John mentioned the Remington 870, the 870 tac threaded for chokes has been around for a while, I almost bought one... maybe it was about 7 or 8 years ago.

Some law enforcement agencies use or are limited to whatever the department dictates. It may not be flitecontrol. So I think this is a decent option.

Like John, I too like the shortest possible barrel.

My 590A1 is heavy barreled and that is the last shotgun I would carry if I was going to hunt. I do have Maverick 88 but I not sure if the barrel can be threaded for a chock since the barrel is not that thick. I use LE132-#1 buckshot with Flite Control.

Most people aren't going to use a 590a1 for hunting. For protection/combat duties, the fixed, smoot-bore barrel makes sense.

Whether you're shooting buckshot or slugs, a shotgun is meant to serve as a close-range firearm. Chokes only really make sense if you're trying to optimize your shot for a certain distance and a certain type of animal. I don't see mass-appeal of having the option of breaching chokes.

Most people aren't going to use a 590a1 for hunting. For protection/combat duties, the fixed, smoot-bore barrel makes sense.

Whether you're shooting buckshot or slugs, a shotgun is meant to serve as a close-range firearm. Chokes only really make sense if you're trying to optimize your shot for a certain distance and a certain type of animal. I don't see mass-appeal of having the option of breaching chokes.
The only reason one would need a breaching choke is if your clearing houses in a war zone, crack house, etc. They are for professionals.
Having said that they look pretty cool!!! Get one before the lefties ban them as well....

I don't want the breaching chokes banned...if someone really wants one they can have it.

But a 590a1 doesn't need a hunting choke, nor a breaching choke for that matter. The standard models are hefty and somewhat cumbersome shotguns. I suppose for an ultra-short LOP 590a1 variant, something akin to the new shockwave, a breaching choke could make sense. For the standard, 590a1 w/ 20" barrel and 8+1 capacity, the fixed cylinder makes sense.

I don't want the breaching chokes banned...if someone really wants one they can have it.

You are entirely correct!

But a 590a1 doesn't need a hunting choke, nor a breaching choke for that matter. The standard models are hefty and somewhat cumbersome shotguns. I suppose for an ultra-short LOP 590a1 variant, something akin to the new shockwave, a breaching choke could make sense. For the standard, 590a1 w/ 20" barrel and 8+1 capacity, the fixed cylinder makes sense.

Yup.

+1 For tubes, i like options and love to tinker and experiment with loads. NEVER lost a tube ever in a trillion gillion billion shotty shells fired.
I will concur for most in a basic home defender the standard IC barrel will perform as intended.

The shotgun is already the most versatile firearm there is suited to home defense/ ranch utility/ SHTF senarios and hunting. Why not the make the 590 series guns even more versatile by having screw in chokes. I applaud Mossberg for finally doing this. To me it seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum MojaveMirage.

MojaveMirage, Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Back