• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thin thread size o ring on gas piston?

mr821907

Copper BB
I was cleaning the piston today and this thin thred size o ring on gas piston came out. I was not sure where it goes but does anyone else have this very thin, string like ring? I could not find it on the parts list blow up in the manual.

I will try and strip down my Mossberg 930 and locate this o ring for you.

That "o-ring" is part of the gas system that is retained in the barrel by the spanner nut you see on the barrel lug, it shouldn't come out. I guess it could become dislodged if you scrub too aggressively. I have heard of people removing the spanner nut, spring and piston, but it isn't easy to get back together. You may want to contact Mossberg...

BBossman1 said:
That "o-ring" is part of the gas system that is retained in the barrel by the spanner nut you see on the barrel lug, it shouldn't come out. I guess it could become dislodged if you scrub too aggressively. I have heard of people removing the spanner nut, spring and piston, but it isn't easy to get back together. You may want to contact Mossberg...

Strange, I didn't even touch the spanner nut. This thread like ring was not mentioned on any videos or threads. I went out the other day and shot 100 rounds of cheap birdshot from walmart with no problems. The mossy ate them like a champ. Do you mind taking a picture on where exactly this super thin thread like ring should go. Thanks in advance.

mr821907 said:
BBossman1 said:

Strange, I didn't even touch the spanner nut. This thread like ring was not mentioned on any videos or threads. I went out the other day and shot 100 rounds of cheap birdshot from walmart with no problems. The mossy ate them like a champ. Do you mind taking a picture on where exactly this super thin thread like ring should go. Thanks in advance.

Without you posting a picture, I'm assuming the location of the part you describe. I will try and post a picture of the part I'm describing, but my camera doesn't do macro shots well. You won't find it on any schematic published by Mossberg because its not considered by them to be an "end user" serviceable part.

It shows up kinda "red" in the photo, sorry my camera doesn't do macro too well. If its there, you can move it around. If that's not it, then post a pic of what you have and we'll see if it can be identified as an actual part or some thing that has sheared...

IMAG0114-1.jpg

I just received my gun for my birthday on the 23rd. I just ran into the same problem with that little ring. I would love to be able to fix it myself, but a 3 day old gun shouldn't have stuff coming off of it. I didn't use anything other than a basic nylon cleaning brush to clean that area.

Back