• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rifle sling

lonestarjeff

Supporter
Have you put a sling on your Patriot? My walnut 30-06 is supposed to arrive Friday & I'm trying to decide what sling to put on it. I'm thinking a basic GI-type cotton webbing with metal hardware, or possibly a leather one.

I have a plain brown leather sling on my walnut 464, looks & works really good.

Jeff

VH53Q4z.jpg

My thought is that any sling should address how you are going to use it.

I have several types, some are a support for offhand shooting, some are to give my hands a rest on a stand and make it easier to carry while dragging out deer. Leather looks best on a lever rifle, to me. Nylon lasts longer, requires pretty much zero maintenance, and might be a bit lighter in weight. My Patriot gets a nylon quick adjustable sling, which works well from offhand or sitting positions, and it also works well for shoulder carry walking out at dark.

Whatever works for you.

That is one pretty gun.

Is the sling going to be for steadying your hold as you shoot, or to tote the rifle thru the woods?

Is the sling going to be for steadying your hold as you shoot, or to tote the rifle thru the woods?
It will be my truck or Mule gun for the occasional hog or coyote out on the farm, so the sling will be used for some carry & I do like using it to steady my hold. I ended put a simple cotton web sling on it today which should work fine & looks good with the basic iron sights config....

BsXvbNJ.jpg

It will be my truck or Mule gun for the occasional hog or coyote out on the farm, so the sling will be used for some carry & I do like using it to steady my hold. I ended put a simple cotton web sling on it today which should work fine & looks good with the basic iron sights config....

BsXvbNJ.jpg

That is a wonderful "all-around" sling. Good decision.

Having many slings and gone thru ALOT of evolutions of them. It its purely for the purpose of toting said rifle hither and yon hunting my current favorite for several years is the Quake Claw, its not expensive it looks meh ugly suppose, what it excels at is two things it stays planted were i stick it on my shoulder walking hiking xclimbing crawling etc... And it is uber comfortable as in real comfy for a long day humping a decent rifle. I have rifle that wear other slings of all types but if im going walk about or exploring i put a Claw on whatever long gun im hauling.

I had the rifle out this weekend at the farm & had a chance to carry it around a bit setting up the range, etc. The cotton web sling is just right on the Patriot with iron sights. The rifle is very light without a scope & the cotton sling is too, so it's a breeze to tote. Being so light I thought the 30-06 might be punishing to shoot, but I slipped on one of my limbsavers for some extra LOP & the side benefit was minimal recoil. I got the peep sighted in at 50 yds from standing.

Here it is with sling & new peep sight...

wQeiwth.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I mounted a scope on the Patriot just to see how it would sight in at 100yds, so I was walking back & forth enough with the rifle & scope slung quite a bit....enough to realize the cotton web sling starts to dig in a bit with the added weight of the scope. If I carried that set-up into the wilderness I'd definitely want something wider.

8k11VxN.jpg

I've got a couple like those shown above and they do work. But I hands down favorite is a leather military sling, got two of them. With quick detachable swivels, they move to what ever rifle I'm using at the time!

Back