• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cellular trail cam ?

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Ive looked at a couple of the cellular enabled trail cams. Considering purchase do any of yall have one ? Searched some reviews most seem like advertising. Im looking for any actual users thoughts experience etc...

All of my trail cams are cheap.

They're cheap because I've had cameras stolen before.

I've never had a cell camera. But would be pretty nice to have sometimes.

But you have to have cell service from whatever provider the camera requires (this adds to the cost), so, I keep hiking up to the cabin and changing memory cards a couple times a week.

I was doing the memory card swap myself for long time. Someone on this forum turned me on to the lil dongle the plugs into smart phone changed my life and its was cheap maybe 10 bucs. Knock on wood never had cam stolen. I may try a cell version soon i just want to get some first hand experience before i pick one.1500851412947374318060.jpg

That's pretty neat.

I have a couple of trail cams going most of the time. I just keep a spare 2mb card that I have numbered for each one. There is trail cam 1 and trail cam 2 cards ;)

I did do a review of one of those dongles a while back.

I have not used a cell cam, to pricy for me even with a lockbox to help prevent theft. Also, I have only had one camera, ever last more than 3 seasons without dying, just not willing to spend to much on them.

Cuddie has a new one where the cameras link to each other so you can check one and get the pics from all in the network. But that too is pretty pricy.

I agree. I typically get 2 years out of most cameras.

Granted that I get anywhere from 75-350 pictures a week during peak times.

I currently have 4 Moultrie game spys dont recall model #. But they were not very expensive as cameras go and they have lived in woods going on 5 years now. Ive been very pleased with them. They are abit outdated now i suppose with better available tech now. I still have some hunting property about 5 hours away and was thinking that the cell cam may be a feasible way to keep tabs on activity since im only up there every other month. My son in law and daughter hunt it and watch things but i dont expect him to check cams for me all time hes working family man.

. . .Cuddie has a new one where the cameras link to each other so you can check one and get the pics from all in the network. But that too is pretty pricy.

That technology has become so cheap now that they're putting it in light bulbs. The lightbulbs become a network of repeaters.

I think you'll see a new generation of high-performance low-cost smart cameras soon.

That technology has become so cheap now that they're putting it in light bulbs. The lightbulbs become a network of repeaters.

I think you'll see a new generation of high-performance low-cost smart cameras soon.
Despite the technology being inexpensive, the companies for these niche gadgets still seen to find a way to keep the prices up.

I'll be the first to say it.

Outdoor and hunting supplies are designed to catch more of your hard earned dollars than animals.

While I like camouflage clothing, I can remember all too well before Bill Jordan came out with his realtree pattern when I was hunting in hand me down worn out faded bdu's or a red flannel shirt and blue jeans.

Not me, but maybe you get the jist:

83ea38b406b4fb52bf6ea561bc784da2--ll-bean-boots-hunting-pictures.jpg

Art-of-Manilness-.jpg

1911001_zps94b21d02.jpg

il_340x270.1119360480_5y13.jpg

My first deer hunting outfit consisted of a pair of hand me down Sorrel boots and wool socks from my dad. Old school red cotton hunting pants from my grandfather. A red flannel shirt and the same coat and gloves I wore to school. The only modern article I had was a hunters orange hat.

Funny my grandfather bough me a red flannel hunting shirt for christmas every year I can remember. It drove me nuts back then as I had a bin full of them but I sure miss it now.

I know a few people in and around the outdoor industry. Much like everything else if has become a sponsor driven cesspool of greed and consumer misinformation . Not to say there arent exceptions but if they can't constantly sell you new stuff they don't make money. They can only sell you new stuff if they can convince you that your stuff sucks or just make changes to the new stuff to render your old stuff obsolete. Many only jump jnto the frey in hopes of selling their company to one of the bigger fish.

Most I know involved in it have gotten out and or stay on the fringe so they can do things on their own terms, but you will never see them on any TV show or their products in stores. I also know a few who maintain their "business" only for ATA access. LOL

I tend to buy closeout camers a few years old. I can usually pick them up for $50-60 on clearance and they last me a couple.years. I just enjoy seeing whats going on when I'm not out there. I dont use them for patterning big bucks, I can only hunt when I can hunt which does not always correspont to best deer activity.

I hate hunter orange and the principle behind it.

Well id have to be in agreement with that 100%. While i have an open mind towards technology and advancements and own quite a collection of hunting clothing and accessories. I can also say honestly I have harvested alot of meat in blue jeans and a plain shirt. Ive shot deer while sitting on the ground drinking coffee and smoking a cigarettes just enjoying nature. I have also suited up head to toe in UV killer washed scent blocker camo and pursued and harvested several very hard to get on monster bucks and a couple Elk. Ive had privelege hunted red stag and boar in Europe wearing traditional hunt clothing. You will now typically find me in a comfortable pair of carharts or overhauls just enjoying the outdoors and taking what nature provides. There are things that can give an advantage if properly deployed but NOTHING is more important than skill and a lil luck. The sage knowledge i try to convey to new hunters is enter nature with a pure heart become part of the environment enjoy it peacefully. Hard for some to grasp my example is usually this all mammals have an extra sense mostly forgotten by humans but its that hair on back of your neck when someone's watching you l, animals have it and use it. Dont be a threatening being with kill kill kill in your heart be a part of the landscape non threatening and enjoying the day. Perhaps you become a hunter who sees more game and truly enjoys your adventures. Sorry for long post but i am quite passionate about hunting.

This is my genetics my grandparents on they're 40th wedding anniversary going turkey hunting. They were poor by todays monetary standard. They raised 5 kids farming and hunting to provide. They did not have fancy guns or clothes for every occasion and I think of that often.20170115_181934.jpg

I truly enjoy seeing old photos.

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks man. Zoom notice the old lynch box call purchased were they made em dad said in Birmingham Ala. Also turkey hunt with a .410 !!! Yep PaPa would lay em down no special turkey site or super duper choke and "special" turkey shells then. Just the old grocery getter and some knowledge. No one knows were that 410 went i tried hard to track down in family. That old box call is on my cousins mantle though.

Just an aside...don't buy Moultrie. Had one , lasted 14 months, Moultrie has shut down their repair department. Customer service told me "don't use Duracell batteries, they cause problems. She suggested "just go buy a new camera"
So much for "made in China"...

Any suggestions for more reliable brand?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back